Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. WWC

WWC Forum Resident

Thanks so much! Really appreciate it.

TonyACT likes this.
  2. Joerg-Maria

Joerg-Maria Forum Resident

I just checked it and found the same defect you mentioned. So it seems to be not a defect of your individual CD.
    Has anyone tried to contact Warner in such a case? I think this box is great and I wouldn't like to send it back. On the other side I don't like to keep it and know it is defective...

nigels, LaBowe, Torran and 2 others like this.
  3. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Most welcome.

I know I agonise over purchases where I have any duplicates, let alone so many. But I did buy the Vivarte Volume 2 box where I already had exactly one-third of the contents already. It was on sale at the time so that the other two-thirds only cost me $2 per disc, and I haven't regretted it.

5-String likes this.
  4. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

Sorry, but I was so shocked by that skip in a so beautiful piano quintet that I forgot to communicate the information of the cd number ...
    I'm afraid it's a mastering defect, so asking amazon to replace it would not help....

croquetlawns likes this.
  5. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Some on this thread can probably provide the right Warner’s customer care (or uncare) email address so we can start reporting the defect and assess their interest to make things right.

croquetlawns likes this.
  6. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

Let's wait to see if it is a defect common to all the boxes or just a prerogative of mine

croquetlawns and TonyACT like this.
  7. Norco74

Agree! :righton:

8. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I should give this more consideration. Someone many posts above indicated a dislike for boxes not tied to a composer or performer. I like label boxes, even if their theme is as weak as “mono”. I like sampling the variety of music. The box is sort of like a Christmas stocking . . . or a box of chocolates.

WWC, Four Bs, Pierrot Lunaire and 3 others like this.
  9. Mooch174

Mooch174 Forum Resident

I bought the Juilliard RCA years box, and discovered after I got it that I had all but 3 disks already :shake:

They were in the “Living Stereo” boxes…

Martinu, croquetlawns and TonyACT like this.
  10. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Forum Resident

Well, I've been periodically checking re pricing on the Karl Bohm DG Orchestral box. Frustrating the US release date is not until 11/5. Its already in stock in the UK and Europe. But no one seems to be discounting this much at all so far. JPC is at about $150, AmUK is about what AmUS is, $172-176, Import CD is about $152, Presto is laughably almost $200(all these before shipping and tax).

If anyone sees a smoking hot deal on this box, please post! Anyone have it already and snag it at a good price?

TonyACT likes this.
  11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Böhm orchestral DG box was released in Europe only last Friday (October 15), so I doubt anyone has it already. I haven't seen any attractive prices so far, and I'm thinking of ordering it from JPC, along with the Furtwängler On Record and Markevitch Philips Legacy boxes. The Markevitch DG Legacy box is not available here yet.

RaceBannon, croquetlawns and TonyACT like this.
  12. RaceBannon

The Markevitch DG box is mysteriously hard to find in the US also. Import cds did list it for awhile, but the listings have disappeared on both the Eloquence boxes there---not even backordered. Amazon US still showing not available on the DG one, and AmUK showing NA on both. There must be supply issues with some of these DG products.

croquetlawns and TonyACT like this.
  13. RaceBannon

I could always unburden you of the Living Stereo boxes, thus allowing you to fully enjoy your Julliard box guilt free!

Runicen, layman and Mooch174 like this.
  14. Pierrot Lunaire

Pierrot Lunaire Forum Resident

Got if for about 120 euro from amazon.fr

RaceBannon and WWC like this.
  15. WWC

WWC Forum Resident

Someone posted here a few days ago that the Decca mono box is selling for $99.99 at:
    Various Artists: The Decca Sound - The Mono Years Box Set – Classical Centerstage Store

Seems like a decent price. Very tempting…

ubertrout, TonyACT and croquetlawns like this.
  16. WWC

WWC Forum Resident

I guess I shouldn’t complain about duplications since mega box CDs are often less than $2.00 per disc…

TonyACT and Norco74 like this.
  17. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

Amazon.it has sold the last two items for 110 euro. I fixed the price, but I'm not sure I'm going to buy it. I have almost all the CDs included in the box and I want to understand if the CDs are really jacket! Oddly the picture shows only a few CDs and the same the video from Dg on you tube. What about all the other CDs?

18. misterjones

SOONERFAN and TonyACT like this.
  19. RaceBannon

Which last 2 items? That post was about the Bohm DG orchestral box. Is that what you are referring to?

20. Norco74

The email address below says it all…

[​IMG]

21. RaceBannon

Umg= Universal Music Group, which owns Decca, DG etc. Looks legit to me, but certainly worth checking out before ordering.

misterjones and TonyACT like this.
  22. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Some nice prices - but I would like to hear if anyone here has successfully ordered from them.

23. misterjones

I thought maybe it was "uh my god". Nothing in an e-mail address ensures appropriate packing and shipping.

TonyACT likes this.
  24. RaceBannon

If I hadn't spent so much $$ on box sets in both classical, and classic and progressive rock this year, I would be all over the Bernstein DG complete works set, and probably that DG 120 set. They must be trying to clear out stock on these boxes. Hoping the sale will run for awhile and maybe I can justify some as xmas gifts....

TonyACT likes this.
  25. Norco74

Exactly! I wouldn’t order directly from such a large label anyway.