Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. HistPerf

HistPerf Forum Resident

When you say you signed up for JPC's mailing list, do you mean you clicked on the button on their website that says "Subscribe to newsletter"?

2. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

Yes, now it is unavailable!

3. Nitram

Nitram Forum Resident

Böhm DG Orchestral Box arrived on Saturday!
    Looks good like all other DG Boxes.

But, I just don't like the cycle covers. The same problem of most DG Boxes.
    Beethoven, Brahms, Bruckner Mozart and Schubert have all the same cover. Beethoven are single cases, All other are multi cases.
    Mozart Blu Ray does have 2018 on the backside. I didn't check yet but it seems it's the problematic transfer. (I just heard that. What was the propblem with it? Wrong Nr.40/41 Wr instead of Berliner....?, perhaps someone know?)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    Torran and croquetlawns like this.
  4. Torran

Torran Forum Resident

As I told you , I suspected something like this, so I give up and remain with my little boxes: Bohm symphonies, Bohm great recordings, Bohm late recordings and mozart wind concertos...(plus some cds in the originals series). Multicases are also difficult to handle!

TonyACT likes this.
  5. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Yeah!

HistPerf, croquetlawns and TonyACT like this.
  6. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Forum Resident

Mind telling us where you bought from and how much? I forgot, is it a cube like the Bohm Philips, or is it a rectangle box?

7. rzimonjic

rzimonjic Well-Known Member

Long time reader, so I figured it's time to contribute...
    I purchased the DG 120 box from these guys after reading about the sale here. The box shipped from "Classic Centerstage Store, 2300 Gainsboro St. Ferndale, MI 48220"
    It was delivered to me in Utah by UPS in 3 days, packaged in the original manufacturers box with foam inserts. That is, of course, no guarantee that all the shipments will be delivered like this - but it's a good start!

zarzuela, SOONERFAN, cws and 8 others like this.
  8. RaceBannon

Hmm, Ferndale MI, that's interesting. Were there indications this was a Universal Music Group factory product? Good news, thx.

TonyACT and misterjones like this.
  9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

According to Amazon the dimensions of the Böhm DG Orchestral box are 6.14 x 6.3 x 8.03 inches.

TonyACT likes this.
  10. rzimonjic

rzimonjic Well-Known Member

I assume you are wondering if this is a genuine UMG release or a cheap knock-off? If that is the question, then the answer is yes, it is absolutely a UMG factory product and not a made who-knows-where knockoff.

TonyACT, croquetlawns and RaceBannon like this.
  11. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Look it up on Google Maps. It’s a warehouse alright.

TonyACT likes this.
  12. RaceBannon

My "hmm" must have given the wrong impression. The UMG US operations headquarters is in Santa Monica CA. Wasn't expecting a small town in Michigan.

TonyACT and misterjones like this.
  13. misterjones

We share the “hmm”. I was just seeing what a Google maps search would show. An unmarked warehouse seems OK, but if it had been a vacant lot . . .

TonyACT likes this.
  14. RaceBannon

Yep, can never be too careful. Someone on another thread told me he purchased the hard to find Jethro Tull Thick as a Brick book set from a street peddler, lol.

TonyACT likes this.
  15. misterjones

What I’m finding somewhat odd is how hard it is to find this online company. I’m not sure I would have stumbled across it were it not for this site. With deals like this, you’d think they’d sell on eBay. Then again, maybe that’s a pain in the butt some sellers would rather avoid. Jpc.de is out there on their own, so it’s not unheard of. Everyone doesn’t have to be ImportCDs.

TonyACT likes this.
  16. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Whats the confusion/concern here? There is a giant warehouse in Ferndale, MI that UMG ships from, ive received multiple items from there and return items to there.

ubertrout, TonyACT and misterjones like this.
  17. misterjones

Thanks, but until you spoke up I was aware of only an isolated purchase from there and otherwise had never heard of them before. I guessed I don’t follow this thread as closely as I should.

TonyACT likes this.
  18. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

neither do, ive never had a classical box come from there, but a bunch of other UMG stuff has

TonyACT likes this.
  19. misterjones

I’m looking for excuses NOT to buy this stuff. Thanks a lot. I hope you’re satisfied. I just bought the two mono boxes. There might very well be a special ring in hell for such transgressions.

Runicen, cws, Four Bs and 2 others like this.
  20. HistPerf

HistPerf Forum Resident

Thanks. I just signed up for the JPC newsletter subscription - or at least I think I did, their website was a bit wonky when I clicked on the confirmation link in the email they sent me.

croquetlawns and TonyACT like this.
  21. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Thanks all for the information, I think. Might cost me some money as well :cool:

cws, misterjones and croquetlawns like this.
  22. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Mono? Going to join those of us on the dark side who don't mind listening to classic performances through two tin cans at either end of a bit of string? ;)

Or maybe it's a wind tunnel, check out the 1949 Callas live Nabucco!

23. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I got the Barenboim Wagner box today. Wow! This stuff sounds fantastic! The Solti is good for a 60 year old set but this more recent recording sounds like I'm in the theater.

5-String, croquetlawns and TonyACT like this.
  24. misterjones

I’m expecting better sound than that!

TonyACT likes this.
  25. WWC

WWC Forum Resident

I will keep you posted once I have recover
    Haha, me too...

TonyACT likes this.