The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

When the producers of Percy commissioned Ray to do the musical soundtrack, I bet that they expected a title song that was a rewrite of "Lola". Instead, they get "God's Children", a song which is too profound for the movie it supposed to promote. I agree w/most of the sentiments & insights of my fellow Avids, especially our esteemed Headmaster, on this song, which to me is more relevant than ever. Although it was on Kink Kronikles, it's too bad that such a superb song was basically buried in a soundtrack of a movie that its sentiments contradicts. Perhaps Sir Cliff Richards should have covered this song. It would probably have been a hit for him.

On a lighter note, the vehicle that Hybel Bennett is driving in the opening credits was a Mini Moke, which was based on the original Mini, and was fashionable in Swinging London.

2. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Percy: Unlike Lola or Muswell, which I knew were well regarded albums but had just never heard, the Percy soundtrack was not something I even knew existed. Typically, I see soundtracks by artists as forums for them to maybe dumb down a bit to grab a big hit (if a Hollywood blockbuster) or to stretch their artistic muscles or have some fun without the pressure of having the release be their next true album (like Flash by Queen for example). Knowing only that this sounded like a low budget UK independent film release, my expectations were low. I am not surprised it’s a bunch of instrumentals mixed with a few good songs, albeit in a different genre (thus allowing Ray to some fun with a different style). While I prefer to get a newly released album full of great new songs from bands I like, I love chasing down detours like soundtrack songs, b-sides and one off singles and the like that allow a band to recuperate, recalibrate or explore. They make for some real interesting tracks that can become definitive in a band’s catalogue and shouldn’t be ignored despite their orphan status.

A few good examples off the top of my head:

Hey Hey, What Can I Do: Zep (As a Zep fan, I couldn’t live without this one!)

INXS - Good Times from The Lost Boys Soundtrack (seldom did INXS flex their rock and roll muscles, so this was a good opportunity to let loose on a non album in a style they were good at but seldom showed off on their albums);

Iron Maiden - Cross Eyed Mary (Maiden always wrote their own material, so they saved their covers for b sides, but this one was so good, and so different from their normal style, it got lots of radio play when I was a teen);

So I approach stuff like this with an open mind, assuming I may get an odd one off that I really like and that changes my perception of the band in question.

In this case, Headmaster W. speaks the truth. There are a few gems to be found, each, while maybe not singular in the band’s catalogue, is unusual enough from their normal output that it’s worth noting. In this case, God's Children, The Way Love Used To Be, Moments, Dreams and Animals in the Zoo are all sweet little pop nuggets the likes of which one seldom saw anymore from the Kinks. As far as the instrumentals, they are all quite nice and let the musicians show their stuff, nothing I’d turn off, but I don’t think, other than maybe the instrumental version of Lola, that they will find their way on to my playlists.

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

That's a really good call.
    Cliff could have done a very serviceable cover of this. He probably still could.

4. mark winstanley

Another good call. I hadn't even considered something like that.

5. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

God's Children

This song is... well... beautiful. I wish I could think of a more erudite way of expressing myself here, but I can't think of anything more to the point than that one simple word.

I still haven't seen the movie, and really have no plans to do so, so maybe this comment is made in ignorance, but the song does strike me very much as a great soundtrack centerpiece. Of course, it would have to be quite a movie to live up to the song!

6. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

GOD'S CHILDREN

A great song but the vocals are mixed too low, especially at the beginning.

I first heard this on my Golden Hour "Lola, Percy, Apeman ..." double album (LPATACFTFWTVGPSSE for short).

A shame it was given away for a pretty nothing movie and wasn't promoted enough to be a hit.

7. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

Are you claiming the ability to access past tomorrows?

8. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

If you watch the clip that Mark posted right after his intro you can see/hear the entirety of its film debut. And it’s used in the opening credits, not a centerpiece at all.

Re: the song vs film placement. Actually, I don’t think it works. To me the song sounds like love and peace to all creatures great and small; something pastoral. Not some chap opening up a shop.

9. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

I understand that it's not literally placed in the center of the movie. My point was that it carries such a theme so well, that it could be the thematic centerpiece of a movie (not necessarily even this one).

Sometimes the thematic weight of such a movie is carried in the opening, sometimes in the end, or just before the end at the climax of action, or even in another location. That's what I meant by centerpiece.

10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yes, I understand. And it could have been used that way but I don’t think the use in the opening credits fits the bill! :D

11. mark winstanley

All Down The Line and DISKOJOE like this.
  12. side3

side3 Younger Than Yesterday

I agree with this. Based on what I have heard so far, the Percy tracks sound very weak in comparison to the upgraded sound of the Arthur and Lola albums. Makes me wonder why that was. The songs themselves are very good.

13. Invisible Man

Invisible Man Forum Resident

"God's Children": I've known and loved this song ever since I first heard it on The Kink Kronikles way back when. Great arrangement. Sounds a bit like an outtake from The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society, at least instrumentally. Love Dave Davies' guitar tone, love that clear piano sound, love that quick drum bit in the intro (is Mick Avory using brushes on his snare?), love the unobtrusive strings. Not a thing about this song that I don't enjoy. Love the contrarian Ray Davies sentiment even though I'm an atheist. One of my favorite Kinks tunes. 5/5.

14. joejo

joejo Well-Known Member

not only Thick As A Brick

Baker Street Muse "I have no house in the country I have no motor-car."

DISKOJOE, mark winstanley and Zeki like this.
  15. Invisible Man

Memory time: When I first bought The Kink Kronikles I only knew the mid-'60s Kinks singles, "Lola," "Apeman," "Come Dancing," and maybe a few stray songs here and there and I bought the record expressly because it was a double album of songs I'd mostly (maybe 80%?) never heard. The song title "God's Children" made me think "Oh, is this going to be some hippie-dippy 'I think it's so groovy now people are finally getting together on a commune' claptrap?" but I was instantly taken in by that melodious bell-like guitar intro and those almost ominous bass notes and, after hearing the whole thing for the first time, could not believe this track wasn't a single or a well-known album track.

16. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Very interesting observation. That same 1971 year, of course, Cat's songs (more Tillerman's than Firecat's) were the true star of Hal Ashby's Harold & Maude, which may be the second biggest influence of Kinks' champion Wes Anderson in tone, style, mild eccentricity, ornamental art-direction and use of acoustic textures in soundtracks (second only to The Graduate, I'd say). There's a pattern there, for sure.
    I can really relate to that. Like you, I don't think I share what appears to be Ray's beliefs, like @ajsmith, I wouldn't necessarily agree with some of their logical political implications (please note that I conscientiously avoid any debate here), but as a sentiment and a candid way of expressing it, it certainly moves me in a very deep way (come to think of it, I could say similar things about a lot of Cat Stevens' early seventies songs).

17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D Brother Sun, Sister Moon.

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  18. mark winstanley

So pleasing that folks like this track, in spite of a topic that can sometimes cause contention.
    A testament to how well Ray could write songs I believe

19. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"God's Children"

I'm also happy to see this song getting some love this morning. What's amazing is that it is such a beautiful and powerful song that by the end of it even the most staunch atheist will be singing along to "We Are All God's Children". It's a touching lyric that practically has the same message as "Apeman" but with a spiritual twist. I'm not religious in the slightest, but I was brought up in a very religious household. My mother insisted we go to church and even church school during our elementary years. I think that idea backfired on her.

This song always reminds me of my grandmother, who was also extremely religious, but was the kindest hearted woman I have ever known. When I would listen to this song I would think, Oh how grandma would be so proud to hear me listening to and singing such a song. It was certainly different to hear this coming out of my room instead of "Institutionalized" by The Suicidal Tendencies. It's a lovely song to play on the acoustic and sing. I always thought I would sing it for her one day, but I never got the chance.

Now this is a crazy thing that I just noticed. My grandma had this odd thing in her life where the number 444 would consistently and constantly turn up. She would tell us she would wake up in the night and it was always 4:44. She was always running into this number. The funny thing is I inherited this strange occurrence. It has now become my number that turns up in my life. This has been going on for decades. This morning as I was reading everyone's post I was amused to see that the discussion of this song begins on page 444! :faint:

20. Invisible Man

If I only listened to music/artists in line with my personal philosophy I'd have to get rid of all my records and just listen to my old demo tapes currently stored out in my garage. (If they're even playable anymore.) :laugh:

21. mark winstanley

Oh definitely.
    I love Pink Floyd, and I reckon Roger Waters is excellent, but I rarely line up with his politics lol

I'm one who wants to hear what people have to say. I'm not afraid of other opinions, that's not helpful to anyone.

22. mark winstanley

I'm going to put this here. It may get deleted, but that's ok too.
    I certainly don't say this to start a conversation about it, merely a point of context.

I didn't grow up even remotely "religious".
    I would even say now that I am not religious, but I believe Jesus was actually who He said He was. I have very solid reasons why, but this isn't the place or time.

23. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

God Children: Mark, Fortuleo and a few others have said it better than I could already. I listened to this song more than a few times over the past few months and I was not taken in the way I was by a few of the others that we will discuss from the soundtrack shortly. Like others on here, I am not particularly religious and I may have been a little put off by the religious connotations. That said, Upon hearing the raves for the song today, I revisited it and realized I like it quite a bit. Another win for Ray!

24. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

God's Children

I know that the song is supposed to be about the transplant of a certain human organ, and I have seen the film once, but I never think about that whenever I listen to the song. Neither do I consider it a religious song despite the lyrics comparing man's achievements with the beauty of the natural world. For me, this song is a rant against plastic surgery. It is one of Ray's many great songs and I wish there was a stripped down version. I'd love to hear that. Never once heard it played on the radio which is a shame when you consider all the dross I've had to listen to.

I used to think a song of this quality was wasted on a film project like Percy. The fact that Davies could write something this good for a soundtrack is testament to his talent. There are more songs on this album which demonstrate just how easy it was for him to write a ballad to order. I rarely play the album in its entirety but frequently listen to this track and a few others.

25. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

"We are All God's Children" is certainly different than "All I want is a Pepsi!"

Also, have you ever thought of playing 444 in your local lottery?