Darko has become my favorite audio review site

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DaleClark, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I like how so many hate the electronica…that he doesn’t even play on his channel. It’s just standard YouTube royalty-free music he plays from a bunch of nobodies. So you’ve heard albums like A Positive Life - Synaesthetic, Global Communication - 76:14 and Boards Of Canada - Geogaddi? No, you’ve probably heard a Daft Punk and Fatboy Slim song and slag off the entire genre. He has impeccable taste in electronica.

2. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

Even the royalty free music he plays is usually impeccable. I'd listen to his video music all day.

hifisoup, wellers73 and Synthfreek like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks...gonna check it out!

4. er1c

er1c Well-Known Member

I learn from others

5. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

I have noticed the scarcity of people who like electronica on this site, and I don’t really understand it - especially in the context of the artists you’ve mentioned. Even just the sound design and production can be significantly better than most genres from a ‘hifi’ point of view. Most of the psychedelic music threads on here are rock based (I like a bit of psychedelic rock myself, all the way back to the 60’s..). But I find it odd that the likes of The Orb and FSOL etc aren’t mentioned much even in that context - some of their best albums are over 25 years old now, hardly ‘modern’! And are definitely psychedelic…

Reamonnt and Synthfreek like this.
  6. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

It's probably down to the fact that the average age of the forum member here is about 65.

7. Silverwolf

You’re probably right, but I’m even surprised by that a bit too be honest. I’m 45, a very good friend of mine is 72 - he’s my ‘go to’ for any brand new weird/experimental music since I persuaded him to get Spotify! Half of what he plays me that’s new is pure electronic…

timind likes this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Congratulations? :shrug:

9. Strat-Mangler

I don't like it either for many reasons. Gives me a chuckle when someone feels the need to belittle others' tastes. Reeks of insecurity. ;)

Silverwolf and saturdayboy like this.
  10. Silverwolf

You’re absolutely right - I remember a lot of the traditional music press in the early 90’s (and rock musicians) were saying that the new wave of electronic music coming up from the underground wasn’t ‘real music’ - definitely insecurity there! I guess the same thing happened when the very first rock musicians played ‘electric’ guitars instead of acoustic….

timind and Strat-Mangler like this.
  11. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

You conveniently cut my quote off in the middle of a sentence. My issue was with people saying they don't like the electronica John plays on his channel when in fact, what you hear on his videos isn't even the artists or albums he is talking about, it's royalty-free stock music.

What is so offensive about this music? I can't believe you would be so close-minded as to shut off entire genres of music simply because they use synths.

12. Strat-Mangler

You got it! Regardless of my personal feelings, I'd never mock someone for their musical tastes. That's just stupid and against the spirit of the forum.

13. Strat-Mangler

See my above post regarding mocking someone for their musical tastes. Let me know when you mature in that regard and maybe then we can have a discussion.

14. Silverwolf

The friend I mentioned in a previous post also loves jazz - I can’t stand nearly all of the jazz I’ve heard, in its many guises. We have some very friendly childish disagreements about music all the time (many times we’ve both said ‘what’s this sh1t’ after putting something on..). But we’re friends and can do that, and have a laugh about it. Very hard to do on a forum with ‘unknown’ people, and no intonation - so yeah mocking anyone for their tastes is ridiculous. I can’t understand why more people don’t like electronica, genuinely, and I'm happy to ask the question ‘why not?’ But I’m not offended you don’t!

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

We're made of the same cloth, brother. :)

Silverwolf likes this.
  16. Silverwolf

Hey man, I don’t want to get stuck between a rock and an, uh, electronic place, but I think you and Strat-Mangler are actually on the same page (just not musically!!).

17. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Ears, plus results from a Fluke 177 multimeter, the NTI MR1 Minirator, ML1 Minilyzer and DL1 Digilyzer, a sine wave generator and frequency counter; the Phonic PAA3 Personal Audio Assistant and Sencore’s DA795 DigiPro Digital Audio Analyzer; a Ebtech Swizz Army six-way cable tester; an APx585 multichannel analyzer; and an Audio Precision 2700 self-contained two-channel signal generator and signal analyzer, available in four basic configurations – analog in and out with analog hardware signal generation and measurement, analog in and out with DSP signal generation and measurement, digital in and out, and the fully dual-domain model with both DSP and analog generation and analysis of analog signals and DSP generation and analysis of digital signals.

:nyah:

18. dcottrell6

dcottrell6 Forum Resident

I like Darko and the way he presents his reviews. The videos are good quality and informative.
    Not really an electronica fan but it's not an important part of the review for me.

Since I'm updating my home theater setup I've been watching Andrew Robinson as well as I was thinking of replacing my AVR.

19. grass-fed

grass-fed Forum Resident

I appreciate the guy because he seems nice enough and genuinely into his stuff.

HOWEVER, digital is weak ( :)), so I rarely find myself interested in his content.

20. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I dislike electronica too, or maybe I should say I dislike most of what I've heard. Not sure why - never really thought about it. I guess I just don't think it sounds as good for various reasons.

But I do like some 80's New Wave, and I like some NIN songs. Is that considered electronica? If so then it suggests I'd probably find other songs and bands that I would like.

Jazz is a handful if you are someone like me who has listened to mostly rock music all his life. But I find the history of jazz pretty fascinating, and the more I hear it the more I get used to it and find pieces that I enjoy. Most jazz isn't instantly catchy like a pop/rock song. It takes a longer time to sink in and I have to be in the mood for it.

Roar and Silverwolf like this.
  21. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Remember: the only person that needs to enjoy the sound of your system, is you.

Now, I'm going to spend the remaining 10 minutes of this 25 minute video talking to my off-camera Mrs who isn't mic'd up properly :laugh:

22. All forms of pop, jazz, and blues have been maligned by classical musicians from the beginning. My father was one of them, to a degree. And he made his living as a session drummer here in Los Angeles. Heck, he even played on a Monkees song! :D

I just discovered that my dad played drums on a Monkees song!

bluemooze likes this.
  23. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

Cool story about your Dad as a session musician. You never know, he may have played on more pop/rock than you think depending on how accurate session paperwork was

24. Bryan T

Bryan T Forum Resident

I like Darko’s perspective on audiophilia (music first audiophile). He clued me into all sorts of neat tech that has improved my playback experience. I don’t put a lot of weight on his subjective reviews of the sound of equipment.

Roland Bart likes this.
  25. Robsonschoice

Robsonschoice Forum Resident

Like John Darko, amusing and informative....Like some electronica but not all and that's the same for many types of music but always have my ears open for new stuff...:)

Swann36 likes this.