Tears For Fears Live At Massey Hall To Be Released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrewb, Apr 10, 2021.

1. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

It seems like they made it more like the stripped down Jules version which isn't how it sounded on other releases. In the end I don't really mind because the album sounds better than I remember when I saw that tour.

JeffMo likes this.
  2. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Hey, I didn't strip down! ;) (Though I confess that Gary Jules' cover of "Mad World" was one of the reasons I chose my username.)

3. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

JulesRules likes this.
  4. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

So did the general release of the Live Massey Hall CD ever happen? We're into October now.

I've been revisiting the Dallas 1985 radio broadcast and enjoying some of the differences.

Most obvious is the inclusion of "Pale Shelter", which along with "Suffer The Children" is not on Massey Hall. It's nice to have a 1985 version of that in good quality. StC is on the Hammersmith '85 show.

There's extra guitar in "Broken" as has been pointed out already by JulesRules. But also on "Start Of The Breakdown". There's a bit of guitar noodling in the middle and the guitar kicks into overdrive as the song is finishing up and Roland gets into it with "st..st..st..start...ha ha ha ... yeah!" When it's all done, Curt responds with, "well that was a new ending to me anyway!". Nicely done.

"Mother's Talk" has the "may God bless you and your children's... childrens... children's...huh!" bit.

There's no "I Believe" on Dallas or Hammersmith 1985. I'm really glad this is on the Massey Hall release as there aren't a lot of pro recordings of this song live with Roland singing, which is strange as it's such a showcase for his voice. 1990 had Oleta singing (which is great mind you!), and it's not on the Secret World live show.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    Jagger69, jamesc, JeffMo and 2 others like this.
  5. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Oops, that should be "Change", not "Pale Shelter"!

Jagger69 and JulesRules like this.
  6. JulesRules

Good question, I have no answer...
    I think it was pretty much retired after 1990. According to setlist.fm it only showed up once again in 1996... as an instrumental. :wtf:
    Perhaps it's simply too frustrating to play such a quiet song in front of a noisy audience. "Famous Last Words" probably disappeared after 1993 for the same reason.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    Jagger69, Curveboy and NunoBento like this.
  7. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

I think it happened. As noted earlier in the thread, there was a period late in the summer when many online retailers had it, and I saw physical copies in a couple of brick-and-mortar stores well after RSD. I think Universal just made copies available to retailers after RSD with zero announcements or fanfare. I'd call it a "botched general release." :(

Jagger69, JeffMo and NunoBento like this.
  8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Can TFF sign with Mute Records?

morgan1098 likes this.
  9. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

10. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

JPC has it again, but will need to order it. Which is a progress though, last time I looked it was not available at all.
    With €21,99 it still is one of the pricier CDs.
    https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/tears-for-fears-live-at-massey-ha/hnum/10476516

Amazon.de would import it from Amazon.co.uk

Jagger69 likes this.
  11. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

12. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

Got the Live at Massey CD today.
    Basing from memory and copy source of the original VHS I heard so many times, they did a pretty good job on cleaning it up as far as more ambience in the instruments and vocals vs the audience. which was reverse in the video. I haven't really heard it that long enough and I'm not really gonna make a full comment yet. I notice on this CD, the re-mastering and additional lower "bass" frequency is excessive. I hardly shut off my 32 band EQ in decades but to day in one of those days when I played this.
    I didn't really read the whole threading yet if there is a dramatic difference between the sound of the vinyl vs CD (though I'm pretty sure there is).
    Any takes and thanks.........

Jagger69 likes this.
  13. JulesRules

The post by @JAuz right before yours has a good analysis with the vinyl vs. mp3 download and I think the CD has the same mastering as the mp3s, so yeah.

Jagger69 likes this.
  14. Classic Car Guy

Thanks,,,,
    "First off before I start, I bought this on evilBay so honestly I don't know if its genuine or not."
    I listened to the CD long enough yesterday and the added and remastered bass lines not leveled to the music. They are so compressed and not balanced. I have to shut off my EQ and ran my system flat.
    I am a big fan of tears for fears and I have all of their albums since the 80's. Roland, Curt and one of the originals Ian Stanley which opened up the gates with them on a true studio producer and recording artist is clever enough not to release anything sounding as this CD. I am kind of skeptical that I may have bought a fake CD. It felt and sounded like it was double equalized by a cheap home studio recording software.
    Again, I am not claiming this is original and would like to verify it if its real or not. My takes for you guys is you know the works of these guys and they will not release a hodge-podge sounding vinyl, cd or tapes. They are highly reputable and if youre feeling the same experience I have, I suggest you better verify what you have first before leaving any comment.
    Actual photo:
    [​IMG]

Jagger69 likes this.
  15. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

If anyone in Canada is looking for this feel free to PM me and I will send you a link to a legit store that has the CD for $14.99 CAD plus $3.50 for Canadian shipping.

danielbravo likes this.
  16. Classic Car Guy

I just sent the guy seller an email and I told him I'm not happy with my previous CD purchase. I cannot even re-master it on reel so I'm returning it.
    Does you guy have a vinyl even a used one?
    Thanks,..

17. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

No sorry.

18. Classic Car Guy

Going back to the CD Live in Massey. Me and my friend put the entire CD on Pro Tools last night and I played against Songs from the Big Chair Album. It obviously the New CD I got may not be genuine.
    A simple side by side playback comparison "songs from the Big Chair chimes in brilliancy and mid bass while the new one is sounds dark and there is no magic midrange. The lower frequency is so compressed like the whole music is treated with lots of dolby. I can see on the test result that the 80 hz bass is extended more than the rest of the recording. Its not quantize. If you have a flat sounding system, it may sound good. But if you have system with controls, or has separates, right away your hear the booming sound. I 'm returning mine.
    Ill probably buy from Barnes and Nobles or a reputable place.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    Jagger69 likes this.
  19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I'm scratching my head on this one...what does Live At Massey CD have to do with Songs From The Big Chair beyond being by the same band?
    Two different recordings...one is studio...one is semi-live...mastered decades apart.

20. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

Some of the Massey Hall live tracks are on the deluxe version of Big Chair. That’s what he’s comparing it to.

danielbravo and Jagger69 like this.
  21. Classic Car Guy

On some parts yes..:righton:
    There is actually more in the music that we can dig into later one. Some of the original song on Live in Massey was in the 1985 Tour to the World Music Video. So I know the ambience of the audiences and the actual sound. But that's for later discussion.

its just a simple basis on how far apart is the sound and brilliancy of a good recording album vs not.
    Like what I mentioned, I might have a bootleg CD.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    Jagger69 likes this.
  22. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

It may be due to a language barrier but you didn’t answer his question. I assumed you’re comparing the Massey Hall live tracks on the deluxe Big Chair to this CD release? Also, do you think you have a BOOTLEG or a PIRATE disc? A pirated disc should sound exactly the same, a bootleg would be from a different source.

Curveboy likes this.
  23. Classic Car Guy

I revised my previous post for you. As of this moment, I don't really know if my CD is genuine or not. but the only thing I can tell you "it sounds very dark and lifeless".

24. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

Thanks for the response. I'm curious now and will listen to the live versions that are common to both releases.

25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

You can ask someone on the board to compare a track from your CD to theirs I guess?