Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Tabula Rasa from this Naxos CD.

TonyACT, Eigenvector and Daedalus like this.
  3. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Ditto.

TonyACT likes this.
  4. George P

[​IMG]

Man the Orfeo CDs are spectacular. I love every one that I have heard. This one is no exception.

Daedalus, Wes H, Eigenvector and 3 others like this.
  5. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I have been enjoying the Rubinstein Beethoven concertos in the Living Stereo Vol. 2 box, this was tonight's:

[​IMG]

The box also has the two-disc Chopin Nocturne set by Rubinstein which is apparently well-regarded. I'm not sure which mastering it has as the set doesn't have the details, unlike the first volume.

Daedalus, Wes H, Zafu and 2 others like this.
  6. MrMarty

MrMarty Well-Known Member

Looking for a vinyl copy of Vivaldi Four Seasons. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on this I’d would be most appreciative.

Mild Mavis likes this.
  7. Mild Mavis

Mild Mavis Forum Resident

I need, well maybe not need but want very badly, a new copy of "Death and the maiden". I have it by the Melos Quartet, Quartetto Italiano and the Amadeus Quartet
    I'm no expert but I'd probably go with Anne-Sophie Mutter and Herbert Von Karajan. Anne-Sophie is a wonderful violinist who rarely puts a foot wrong. I also have a CD version by Rachel Podger which is excellent but I don't think it's probably not available on vinyl. However there are so many to choose from and your taste will probably differ to mine. Also I'm sure some of the other guys on here will have some excellent recommendations.
    Edit: I note the Mutter/Karajan version gets high praise on Amazon except for the odd poor pressing.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    TonyACT and MrMarty like this.
  8. Mild Mavis

I have to agree. Listening via Qobuz these renderings are wonderful. Also Erato have done a fine job. I feel another CD purchase coming on.

George P likes this.
  9. Mild Mavis

So to finish the post I started but then put an answer to MrMarty on:
    I need, well maybe not need but want very badly, a new copy of "Death and the maiden". I have it by the Melos Quartet, Quartetto Italiano and the Amadeus Quartet none of which really moves me and yes I know the critics like them but what do they know:rolleyes:
    So I'm thinking the recent Pavel Haas Quartet CD but have any of you guys got any recommendations I should listen to?

MrMarty likes this.
  10. Mild Mavis

After thinking about recordings of Vivaldi's Four Seasons for MrMarty I realised I hadn't played Rachel Podger's version for a while and I decided to remedy it. Playing as I type and what a stunning version it is. Some amazing playing going on here. Not the usual Four Seasons.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TonyACT, dale 88 and MrMarty like this.
  11. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I like that Pavel Haas Quartet album, I've streamed it a couple of times. It has the quintet too, you can't go wrong with that one.

Which Melos recording do you have? I have the harmonia mundi one which I like a lot but I don't know how it compares to the DG.
    [​IMG]

The Takács Quartet on Hyperion and Chiaroscuro Quartet on BIS are both nice. Chiaroscuro play on gut strings.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one's my sleeper pick, I got it at a thrift shop recently and loved it:

[​IMG]
    It's the Tokyo String Quartet's recording from 1982/1983 on Vox, not the later one on RCA (which I haven't heard).

Daedalus, TonyACT and Mild Mavis like this.
  12. Blizzard

Blizzard Well-Known Member

Would you please recommend me a good recording of Mozart Piano Concerto n.20 and 21?
    I'm searching for recent recordings with High quality (eventually DSD or 24/96)

I've already listened to
    Mozart "The Piano Concertos - Alfred Brendel Academy Of St.Martin in The Fields Neville Mariner" Philips 416272-2 1985
    Mozart "The Complete Piano Concertos - Murray Perahia, English Chamber Orchestra - Sony Classical 82876872302

Those Concerts are from the 80's, I 'd experienced more recent recordings (maybe from the 90's)

13. MrMarty

MrMarty Well-Known Member

Is this on CD?

14. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I am very glad I added this set of Beethoven Piano Trios. I find the interpretations delightful, the sound very agreeable, and they maintained my interest. I didn't hear these when they came out on Nippon in 1986.
    Beethoven
    The Complete Piano Trios
    Suk Trio
    Supraphon, 2021
    4 discs

[​IMG]

15. Mild Mavis

Afraid so. It's hybrid CD/SACD.

MrMarty likes this.
  16. Mild Mavis

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just came across this in my collection. Must have picked it up in a charity shop. It's been cleaned and I'm playing it now. Not a great recording of Dvorak's Cello Concerto because the cello is far too dominant in the mix but some beautiful playing by Rostropovich. Very emotive.

TonyACT likes this.
  17. Mild Mavis

Just finished the above Dvorak. I have to say Rostropovich's playing moved me soooo much. Amazing.

dale 88, TonyACT and George P like this.
  18. Mild Mavis

Is it me? People seem to be using "Classical Music & Conversation" rather than this thread. CM&C is a gxreat thread but there seems to be more description/discussion on this thread. I know I'm in the minority but I don't want to see pictures of CD/LP covers without some meaningful words.
    Anyway another find in my charity shop acquisitions that I've never played ( just found about a dozen that haven't seen my turntable, I must be learning from Tony:D). A bit of a curate's egg. Much of it is new to me although the tunes are familiar. The Andante spianato and Grande Polonaise brilliante in E Flat, Op 22 immediately appeals. Eliahu Inbal is a new name to me but he's done a nice job here though not much could go wrong with Arrau at the piano.
    [​IMG]

drh, TonyACT and MrMarty like this.
  19. George P

I am a great admirer of Arrau, especially his Chopin. Those orchestral works are sadly neglected these days. I have those recordings in a later CD set, which is sadly now OOP:

[​IMG]

TonyACT and Mild Mavis like this.
  20. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying one of those rare minor key symphonies from the classical era, the 52nd symphony by Haydn in c minor.

Martinu, TonyACT, Eigenvector and 3 others like this.
  21. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Great Pianists of the 20th Century: Josef Hofman (1999, Philips)
    Most of the tracks are from recordings made in the early/mid-20th Century so the quality is noticeably deficient. But the playing is indelible. The Rachmaninoff Prelude that he performs in the clip above is included in the 2 CD set.

TonyACT, Mild Mavis and George P like this.
  22. George P

Nice one!

That set was my intro to the pianist. Since then I have picked up the series of discs devoted to the pianist on the Marston Records label.

TonyACT and NickySee like this.
  23. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Hope you saw my response to you on another forum. If not, I’ll copy it over.

24. john greenwood

That performance of The Trout is a favorite of mine, something I recommend to people just getting into classical.

TonyACT likes this.
  25. john greenwood

As I’ve said before, my copy of the Perahia cycle has a DR range of 10 - 17.