Discogs : New PayPal payments solution ?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by kwadguy, Sep 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

Got this email today:

You’re invited to onboard Discogs’ new PayPal payments solution! The holiday season is fast approaching, onboard now to benefit from faster payments, money in your account as soon as an order is completed, and no invoices to worry about over the busy period. Whether selling on Discogs is your hobby or your business, this integration makes it simpler and more convenient.

How the new PayPal integration works:
    No more monthly invoices
    Fees and taxes (like United States sales tax, UK and EU VAT, Australian and New Zealand GST, etc) are deducted and submitted automatically when the buyer pays for their order. 100% of the money that goes into your account is yours to keep.
    Money in your pocket faster

Early testing of the PayPal payments solution with top US sellers has shown that orders are paid around 75% faster than when using the classic Discogs checkout. As soon as the buyer places an order, they’ll be presented with all available payment options, many of which do not require the buyer to have a PayPal account. These include PayPal, credit or debit card, and for buyers in some countries, localized payment methods like Sofort (Germany, Austria, Italy, Belgium, The Netherlands, Spain), iDeal (The Netherlands), and Mercado Pago (Brazil, Mexico).

Benefit from confident buyers

Whether it’s the buyer’s 1,000th order or their first, getting their new record through the checkout is smoother and more intuitive, with fewer steps.

It only takes a few minutes to onboard

Go to your Discogs Labs page where you will check the box next to ‘PayPal Payments’. Complete the setup in the Payment Information section of your Seller Settings by entering the email address associated with your PayPal account and clicking ‘Connect to PayPal’.

We’re excited for you to join us on this next step in Discogs’ evolution as the best place to buy and sell music online. For more information, check out our FAQ. You’re also invited to join our AMA (Ask Me Anything) session in Discogs’ Marketplace forum on September 27, 2021 between 9 - 11am (PST time zone).
    Sincerely,
    Discogs

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

If this means no PP fees on Discogs fees, and sales taxes, it could save the seller some money. I can't believe Discogs nor PP would simply go for that. Or would they?

What they are saying is that the portion that goes into your PP account is all yours. No more PP fees on sales tax (that must be returned to Discogs).

3. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Doesn't sound like that. I think they'll just deduct taxes and fees immediately like EBay is now doing.

4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Exactly. Paypal will still take their cut of the gross amount including sales taxes and fees. They will take all the same fees they always have, and eliminate my float where I have a month to play with the Discogs fee and sales tax money before giving it to them.

MC Rag likes this.
  5. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

You got it...i signed up a couple weeks back. Should save that "Ouch... I got a big Discogs bill" feeling on the 10th.

MC Rag likes this.
  6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It just seems odd that PP will take money, or accept money, hit you with fees on it, and then take money away from you and give it to a third party. So you are paying fees for someone else's incoming account, not your own.

Or are you saying, that YES, they get their taxes and fees first, and then paypal gets the payment after?

7. R. Totale

Why does that seem odd? That's the way it has been for as long as Paypal has received sales tax fees for eBay or Discogs. From their point of view, their cut is due on funds they receive, period.

When you buy something with sales tax with a credit card at a retail store, the merchant pays fees on the whole amount collected, including sales tax.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The odd part is funds are being sent in to paypal, and then funds are being taken out of your Paypal account (besides PP fees). It's like someone reaching into your checking account and taking various amounts from you all month long (not Chase, or Wells fees), and not just a monthly subscription, but an odd amount.

The scenario you describe is sales tax collected by the merchant and due to be paid the state quarterly. The scenario with Discogs is not the same, it's reaching into your account daily and grabbing what they say is due the state. It's not so much about who's paying the fees on it, as the hand that can grab funds out of your account as they see fit. PayPal is now into the money management, accounting, subtraction game, and can do anything at this point that you agree to it.

9. Cody B

Cody B Whatever you do, take care of your shoes

Ya I’ve been quite happy since they changed this. No more making sure I’ve left a couple hundred bucks in my PP account on the 10th every month, plus as you know we’ve been responsible for holding the overseas VAT tax the past few months, which was quite annoying. Discogs has done something right for us sellers finally!

10. R. Totale

No, the scenario I am describing is that a buyer pays for something plus sales tax, and the merchant pays the 3% or whatever payment processing fee on the whole amount - what he keeps and what he gives to the state. It's always been that way. Run $20 through Paypal and they will take their cut - whether it's $17 and $3 tax or $20 and $0 tax makes no difference to them.

11. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

This is a positive change, but all it means is that Discogs can automatically deduct your fees from the PayPal transaction when you sell something. It's a nice convenience, though - the whole monthly invoice/manual payment thing was a drag.

12. Souper

Souper Forum Resident

My question is, will the money from each individual sale be available in PayPal as quickly as it is now, or will the seller have to wait a period of time...hours, a day, etc.... for PayPal to take their share? I love the idea of no monthly bill, but I also like having the money as soon as the buyer pays his invoice.

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You mean for Discogs to take their share. That is the part that is different now. PayPal has always gotten their cut the second the money comes in.

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

And they are not holding your money for any amount of time like Amazon and eBay are now doing to their sellers (I take it).

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I liked paying that couple hundred dollar bill on my credit card with rewards points racking up every month. I learned that dumping the pp cash into another account for free, then paying bills with a rewards Visa card was the smarter option for me.

16. Souper

Souper Forum Resident

Right, that is specifically what I am asking. I am aware that PP always took their cut. I was just wondering if there'd be a lag while Discogs does the math.

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I've gone over this a few times and I can't for the life of me figure out how the money comes in (to your pocket) faster with this new payment option?

I am currently having no issues with buyers paying slowly. One out of say 100 orders - the buyer takes a day at most. I've not had a total deadbeat yet this year. last year I got one or two only.

And what I am most concerned about is that I get a chance to correct shipping costs for buyers before they pay. I will often ask a buyer to not pay until I have fixed the shipping for them, the items and the country they reside in. So I don't want a faster payment anyway actually.

18. R. Totale

It doesn't. Discogs's cut gets into their pockets quicker, though. I'm sure this is as important to you as it is to me.

The ability to correct shipping before the buyer pays on Discogs went away with the Shipping Policy requirements early this year. You are expected to provide a shipping cost you are willing to accept for anything from one item to your entire inventory - anywhere in the world if you ship internationally.

19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

Yup. I just removed international shipping from all my items as a result, because there's no way I can provide a one-size-fits all shipping cost that isn't outrageous.

And the losers who post some cheap one-size-fits-all shipping and then issue a disclaimer saying "contact me for real costs" are setting themselves up for negatives and other problems.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You are joking, right? IT is not important to me at all how fast Discogs gets their take. monthly seems to work fine for me. I'm never short of cash to pay the fess. I simply don't spend a couple hundred of the income.
    No, it has not gone away. I have many inquiries about shipping and I direct them to make the purchase, and then wait a day or so to pay. Do not pay yet, the shipping "discount" deal is coming shortly. I do edits on shipping costs often after the purchase, but before the transaction is settled. There is an "edit" feature next to the shipping cost, and I use it all the time for international purchases. But I think I can actually do one edit even after they have paid. Maybe it's a glitch and I'm not supposed to have that feature?

I do provide a shipping cost for all listed items. But I'm very often messaging the buyers that shipping might be less or slightly more than what is shown. If they don't like the final cost, then I tell them I can cancel the transaction and nobody has to accept a deal that they are not happy with. I have asked the buyers to wait a day, let me get you a new cost, and never had an issue. So often I come up with a lower cost, they are thrilled. Never got a Neg due to trying to save buyers $$$ on combined shipping. If it is a little more, they still want the items and are willing to play ball with me. Glowing feedback and cool items offered, decent prices will get the buyers to relax and just trust me. At least that is what has gone on thus far. I'm doing better than even the good era of eBay. It feels like the early years of eBay when that platform was good and fun.

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I like international buyers. If they are willing to pay the costs, then it means that they have money, more money than most buyers. This can mean that they are serious, and a serious buyer is going to know what shipping costs are likely to be. They also know it's not straightforward. I've sold some nice expensive items that may have sat there unsold if not for those international buyers. But if you don't need the sales, and it's not worth the hassle for you then I can understand that.

ispace likes this.
  22. Yamahaha

Yamahaha Sir Pepe of LePew

Discogs has joined the many other ranks of completely hogwash dishonest pitches trying to make something thats good for them into as if its good for you. Paypal is not a good organization. They've been very dishonest and now even political in their actions. Why anyone would side with that is a mystery to me but they lost my business from either side. I'm sure fanboys will come in with "dont let the door hit you" etc. I dont care about that either. These alliances with evil dont bother me in the least. I've dropped so many unnecessary things from my life during this great "purge"

23. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Better stay away from the Classified Forums on this website. If I remember correctly only Paypal payments are allowed.

Dave likes this.
  24. ispace

ispace Senior Member

Just a warning: I received my first order after opting into this new PayPal system. My PayPal account is in Australian$ but I choose to list in US$ (mostly to make it easier for US buyers who struggle with forex).

So after the first order I’ve realised that all of my listings were switched by Discogs from US$ to A$ without any currency adjustment! So everything is now 30% cheaper including shipping, thanks Discogs!

The forums show others have had the same problem, and undoing it is undocumented & complex. Poor sellers who have been switched from US$ to Pesos or Yen…

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have my UK and related countries set at $26 shipping from the USA. Last week a UK buyer bought an LP and up came $14.25 shipping cost. How odd and I'm not sure how that happened. So I know that there are going to be glitches with the new system that kicks in (for me) in Feb. I guess it's great that I got to work with the old system at Discogs this long and really figure out the platform and how to work with it.

Discogs is like a later-day Amazon listing style, with an older eBay style of selling. Which makes it better than both of them in my experience.

joachim.ritter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.