Bryan Adams' new album "So Happy It Hurts" (out March 11, 2022)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jonathan Halen, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Jonathan Halen

Jonathan Halen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hear Title Track From Bryan Adams' New 'So Happy It Hurts' Album

Fred1, ponkine, paradox55 and 3 others like this.
  2. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I love Bryan. And it's pleasant. But its generic Bryan Adams. And, sadly, there is no audience for that style of music anymore.

3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

You've got to applaud Bryan's constant wanting to try to get back in the game with his new releases and who knows, maybe one day he'll once again be that guy that the girls couldn't stop talking about. In the meantime, I'll just play his great "Reckless" album and remember the good old days before he and Kenny Loggins sang EVERY theme song from EVERY movie.

4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

He’s not breaking any new ground, but that’s a good song.

I’ll keep an eye out for his album next year.

Jrr, Chemguy, Matthew Tate and 3 others like this.
  5. Stingfan80

Stingfan80 Forum Resident

It's quite a catchy tune vaguely resembling his old b-side "Hey Elvis". It lacks a bridge and a guitar solo but it stays in your head once you hear it. Considering that Bryan played almost every instrument the song is not a bad effort.
    Not exactly breaking new grounds, but will provide good singalong at his shows.
    By the way, the elderly lady in the video is Bryan's actual mom

6. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

I put off listening to it elsewhere because I thought I would be underwhelmed. I'm not. It is a nice bar jam and an improvement musically from his past ten or more years of songs. But those lyrics. He stopped growing as an artist decades ago and he didn't move into music styles popular with people under 40 or anything that would be loved by the critics. And that Hitler Youth hairstyle he's had for years makes him look severe and not a friendly face for a guest spot on a screen and he's on his way to being forgotten by the public.

Galley, Matthew Tate and jconsolmagno like this.
  7. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

I normally do not care about how an artist looks but I can't stand that haircut either but i love the music

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

Now I think I understand why he started that. He was going into a vaguely rockabilly sound and that's a little like a rockabilly haircut. But it looks worse the older his face gets, and his new music isn't rockabilly, it's less dated and I think better. Time for a hairstyle change, Bryan.

9. zen

zen Senior Member

Bryan tested positive for... "the thing" for a second time in a month as he touched down at Milan's Malpensa Airport on Thursday.

Get well, Bryan.

10. Jonathan Halen

New song "Kick Ass"

Stingfan80 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  11. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Radio 2 have been playing the title track a decent amount, and I have to say that chorus hook is a fantastic ear worm!

Stingfan80 likes this.
  12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

does he have an outright terrible album? maybe the wrong question for this forum

13. apricissimus

apricissimus Forum Resident

FWIW, I've seen Bryan Adams play a couple times, and each time the audience had a pretty wide range of ages in it. It wasn't just middle-age and older folks. Probably the young ones came to know Bryan Adams from their parents.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

The first single is released five months before the album release? What is the thinking here?

As comparison KK Downing of Judas Priest has a new band called KK's Priest and they released their first single just shy of five months before the album. On the other hand Iron Maiden released their first single about 7 weeks before their latest album was released, which seems more normal and sensible to me.

All three of these artists probably have a pretty static number of albums they expect to sell based on being veteran artists with a long established fan base. And all three are likely to sell more physical product than digital.

But of all of them Bryan Adams seems by miles to be the artist where there's more of a possibility of a single getting some traction and generating extra sales.

But he's already released three singles and the album still won't be released for another three months. That's just baffling to me.

Pouchkine likes this.
  15. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

Perhaps hoping it gets plays on streaming services and then those plays get added to the album for a higher chart debut.

That's my guess.

Pre-ordered the new one, excited for it.

16. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

I’ll stick to Cuts like a knife and Reckless.

OptimisticGoat and Purple like this.
  17. Jonathan Halen

New song/video "Never Gonna Rain"

ponkine, paradox55 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

That's funny. I just came across this early this morning. I seem to recall reading about the new album a little earlier. I posted the title cut on another thread. I found it amusing (& bemusing) b/c other artists have been composing more somber, almost to the point of depressing material during lockdowns & here's Bryan Adams w/this positive, upbeat, catchy, hook-y content which sounds just like early BA! :laugh::winkgrin:
    There's also this track, which I don't see posted:

On The Road

paradox55 likes this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'll see what the Allmusic review says before I buy it. ;)

20. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

He's a master at what he does. I respect so much how he just sticks to the music and maintained his skills. He basically hasn't aged, musically speaking, which is one helluva feat. Having said that, it's just not a style that does much for me.

21. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

This is really good!

And playing with his pals of 30+ years

:edthumbs:

Paul H and paradox55 like this.
  22. tanzeel

tanzeel Well-Known Member

Never gonna rain is a melodic mid tempo rocker. Sounds very similar to Cuts like a knife.

23. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

Anyone got it yet?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

You gotta give credit to Bryan.
    He has never tried to do anything besides what he does best: Being “Bryan Adams”.
    Sometimes he is more inspired than others, but you can always expect competent pop/rock songs in his straight-forward style.

Jarleboy, enro99, Stingfan80 and 3 others like this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Looking forward to this. I see Mutt Lange is back on board co-writing some of the songs.

enro99, Pouchkine and paradox55 like this.