Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Forum Resident

In answer to your question, yes. I've also been watching prices on this, and while waiting for Bohm Orchestral to come to earth, noticed Import Cds came down to $123, so decided to pull the trigger, as I doubt it will get much lower.

5-String and TonyACT like this.
  2. RaceBannon

I put an order in for this at Import cd even though it is backorder, hoping they might find a few stray ones in the stock room!

croquetlawns and StarThrower62 like this.
  3. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

5-String, croquetlawns and RaceBannon like this.
  4. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

I received mine from Presto today (was supposed to be Friday, but we’re having HGV driver shortages here, too.

5-String and TonyACT like this.
  5. Nitram

Nitram Forum Resident

Really?
    I had all of these recordings. The only one I kept was Lohengrin, because it's the only complete version.
    Barenboim is a really great Wagner conductor but his choices for singers is and was always not the best.

This list is only for the singing roles (Barenboim always 7-9/10):
    Holländer (one of the worst recordings of this opera) 2/10
    Tannhäuser 4/10
    Lohengrin 6/10
    Tristan und Isolde 7/10
    Meistersinger 5/10
    Ring des Nibelungen Audio 5/10 Video 8/10 (You sould get the video not the recording)
    Parsifal 7/10

For the cheap price a good way to get all of the Standard Bayreuth repertoire and except for Holländer good to listen once to it.
    For the listening enjoyment I would choose at least 10-15 other recordings before I would listen to one of these recodings again.

€124,-- Amazon.de

It looks exactly like on the picture and nearly doubles the Decca box.
    Same as Kubelik. Only logo on the "Spine" (Small side). - Good if you have so much space but I'm looking to two red squares (Böhm, Kubelik) with the DGG logo. I don't mind Böhm is next to the Decca and the other one is Kubelik.
    The same covers are
    Beethoven 5 single jackets (Same design as Schubert with Beethoven picture)
    Brahms 1 multijacket (Below)
    Mozart Symphonies (Berliner) 4 multijackets (all the same picture, first two "Early Symphonies, other ones Symphonies, same picture below)
    Schubert (Two Multijackets see below)

All other individual covers.
    Peter und der Wolf Multijacket 2CD both German/English versions one cover
    Strauss Zarathustra, not the original cover but the later one (see below)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    bluemooze, 5-String and croquetlawns like this.
  6. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I paid only 36 dollars for the Barenboim box. As with most Wagner fans I have other recordings. It pretty much goes without saying that very few singers in modern times can compete with the greats of the past. But for anybody who wants a comprehensive set in modern sound, the Barenboim acquired at a super discount is a great deal. I don't buy those big mega boxes for the most part because I'm not interested in multiple recordings of a lot of the standard repertoire. I've got plenty of Beethoven, and I'm not in to Mozart. And I don't need all that other stuff in the big conductor boxes. I hardly listen to symphonies or concertos at all anymore. I like operas and string quartets so I'm glad I got my Bareboim box.

croquetlawns and TonyACT like this.
  7. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I looked this up on JPC.de, where it is EU130.

However I noticed the Philips & Decca years set is EU95, and is more opera heavy, including a ring cycle on CD and BluRay audio. Fewer discs, but no "padding" with speech/rehearsal discs.

[​IMG]

Both these boxes would be pretty cheap (per disc) once delivered to the UK without VAT. I have lots of the repertoire in the DG box from other conductors so I'm not as interested. Is there a DG opera box? I picked up a Marriage of Figaro from Bohm on DG at Oxfam last week, and hope to listen to it this week. That may sway me.

I've been dipping my toes in opera over the last year, and now it's time to paddle a bit more before, maybe, diving in at the deep end in future. I think haveing a Ring cycle in my collection as part of a box set is more likely to make me keep it (I've owned Solti's in the past but couldn't get into it).

croquetlawns and TonyACT like this.
  8. RaceBannon

There is a seperate Bohm Opera DG box.

9. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Found it on Amazon after no joy and JPC or PResto. Currently £180 for 70 discs.
    The box format looks similar to the Karl Richter box - square box with discs in 4 separate lift out lidless boxes, but slightly smaller than the Richter set. This would mean the book is a decent size.
    Does anyone have this set?

[​IMG]

bluemooze and croquetlawns like this.
  10. tatifan

tatifan Senior Member

I checked, and my copy of the Mozart symphony BluRay+ CD set does indeed have the later VPO Nos. 40 &41 in the incorrect later VPO recordings on the BluRay disc! I remember this was unavailable for a while after I bought my copy and then reappeared for a whole. I wonder if it was ever corrected? Of course now I think it’s OOP. The CDs have the correct version. I would not be happy if the new complete box perpetuated this error! Does anyone know who I might contact at Universal?

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

12. Mooch174

Mooch174 Forum Resident

I have it, but I haven't had a chance to listen to any of it yet!

TonyACT likes this.
  13. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Cowan and Hurwitz ? Sounds a bit ironic considering Hurwitz is always having a pop at Gramophone mag and its contributors, in his videos !!!

cws likes this.
  14. bdjr

bdjr Forum Resident

Try this. I have only contacted them once and it was a very simple question about product availability and they answered the next day - very helpfully and professionally.

Contact - Deutsche Grammophon

TonyACT likes this.
  15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

If I remember correctly Hurwitz said in one of his videos that Cowan is a friend of his. Anyway, I listened to the podcast and they seemed to have a lot of fun together :)

Wugged, ubertrout and cws like this.
  16. tatifan

tatifan Senior Member

Thank you!

17. HistPerf

HistPerf Forum Resident

Will they be reducing the price? :)

TonyACT likes this.
  18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I doubt it :)

TonyACT likes this.
  19. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

It would surprise me if someone were to enjoy Bohm’s Ring after not being able to get into Solti’s. I find both well performed and recorded. I would guess if one doesn’t like Solti it’s downhill from there. But we shall see. Let us know.

TonyACT likes this.
  20. Nitram

Nitram Forum Resident

Just made a quick check. I couldn't get the number timing on my blue ray player, only the complete time but it sounds that they corrected the two symphonies.
    I could figure out appr. 30 seconds shorter Jupiter 1.satz. should be the correct Berliner. But wasn't there also a mastering problem? - all amazon reviews with this problem disappeared .

The recording on blu ray are clearly less loud with more tape hiss than on the same cd. Overall it sounds good but I didn't listen to Headphone.

The Opera Box is worth for his Berg, Mozart Strauss and Wagner.(90% of the box) Zauberflöte on 3Cds because of Schauspieldirektor like the first cd rerelease. The original series had it on 2 Cds imo better.
    If you like these operas one of the best boxes to get.

21. RaceBannon

The blu ray audio disc of the Mozart symphonies in the Bohm Orchestral box has *more* tape hiss than the cds? That doesn't sound right. You sure your blu ray player is set up correctly?

22. RaceBannon

I'm sorry, but I'm confused by your post. What exactly are you saying is wrong with or incorrect about some (Mozart 40/41?) recordings in the Bohm DG Orchestral box? Are you saying the blu ray audio disc of the Mozart symphonies in the Bohm Orchestral box are the incorrect ones, or the wrong orchestra, or that the disc sleeves are just mislabeled somehow? Its unclear what you think the errors/problems are, and before I order the Bohm Orchestral box, I'd like to get this clarified. What Mozart Symphony set are you comparing with the box? Just a bit confusing.

23. tatifan

tatifan Senior Member

This is the previous issue including all the symphonies on the bluray audio disc. https://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Compl...ords=Bohm+Mozart+bluray&qid=1634665428&sr=8-3

Rather than the correct 40 & 41 with BPO (1961-2) these later VPO versions have been substituted. https://www.amazon.com/Bohm-Karl-Mo...words=Bohm+Mozart+40-41&qid=1634665508&sr=8-5

You can tell they are different by comparing to the (correct) versions on the included cds, and the running times are longer as well for most tracks in the VPO ones. And yes, there is nothing to indicate they are aware of this, so I would call it mislabeled at the very least. When I bought my set (I preordered it) it shortly went out of stock for a while, and MAYBE returned to being in stock before going OOP. I have no idea if that means they fixed it and repressed it at that time or not. Obviously, if we knew that we would know if it's going to be fixed in the upcoming megabox

TonyACT likes this.
  24. RaceBannon

Ok, that's a bit clearer. So re the Bohm Orchestral box just now being released, no one knows if the Mozart symphonies on the BR disc are the BPO or the VPO ones. I guess I thought you had the new box in hand. One of the reasons I want the Bohm Orchestral set is to get the Mozart symphonies on blu ray audio.

25. tatifan

tatifan Senior Member

It seems to get some of these things fixed one has to get some well known critic to bring it to wider attention. The Grumiaux box problem was corrected, but I can think of at least 2 things that they just never fixed, or never knew about......

1) one of the Complete Arrau Philips box cds (one of the 6 Chants Polonais on CD 59) has an issue where 2 tracks which segue have a 2 second pause inserted....the old separate Arrau Liszt box had it right), but I never found a way to find out about a redo.

2) The Kempff mono version of the Beethoven Appassionata is missing several bars corresponding to a repeat sign in the last mvt. This is wrong in the old 8 cd box of his mono Beethoven Sonatas, but the same error is present in the 80 cd Kempff Edition that was released last year....I have a 1980's lp release which does not have this problem, so it's not in the original). If I manage to catch their attention about this Bohm problem, I'll bring these up with them as well.

SOONERFAN and TonyACT like this.