Films : No one mentions any more?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I have "Cutter's Way" bought on disc after seeing Jeff Bridge's performance and the story line on my Basic Spectrum cable TV rerun movie channel. If it wasn't for a Basic package providing a short list of channels to choose from instead of a full package with HBO, I probably would've never stumbled across it and a lot of other over 20 year old movies I've ended up buying on disc. "Cutter's Way" is a pretty good movie that I thought I had seen back when it was released in the theaters.

2. downer

downer Senior Member

Currently streaming on ABC iView

3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

That's where I saw it. I see the soundtrack in opp shops all the time.

downer likes this.
  4. downer

downer Senior Member

Yes, I watched it while I was laid up in hospital having a knee replacement :)

Mylene likes this.
  5. I've tried several times to watch this - I can't get beyond the first 15 minutes. So dull. dark and boring. And that horrible tuneless Leonard Cohen song they keep repeating.

6. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Same here

Mark E. Moon. likes this.
  7. Tim Lookingbill

That's Altman's documentary style directing which I'm sure he was deliberate in conveying the same boring existence living back in the time depicted in the movie. I happen to like the realism of McCabe & Mrs Miller.

But not all of Altman's docu- style directed movies are entertaining. I think I was too young to watch his movie, MASH, with Gould and Sutherland as leads, because it was boring when I saw it in theaters at the age of 11. Saw it again in my '30's and it still was way too slow because it wasn't building up to some shoot out or similar disaster like McCabe & Mrs Miller.

a customer likes this.
  8. Spokeless

Spokeless Roaming Resident

OK, wise guy.
    Have you seen this critic's brief but snappy reviews?

Warning - time sink - but truly worth a visit
    via blogspot; voluminous; gritty; obscure

Every 70s Movie

Years ago, I spent a week of vacation, sick in bed in Paris, reading through hundreds of them on the iPad. Good stuff.

9. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

harmonica98 likes this.
  10. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Is Three Women an Altman movie that no one talks about? I'll give a film a lot of leeway if it doesn't intend to make any sense. Altman said the film was based on some crazy dream he had so it's exactly the kind of weird film I like.

Randall DeBouvre likes this.
  11. The caper film “The Hot Rock”-a cool bit of 70’s.

Randall DeBouvre and CatchAsCan like this.
  12. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The Sting (1973).

13. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

PORTNOY'S COMPLAINT.
    I think this film came out in the very early 70's. It was about a young lad who was a chronic masturbator.
    I have a recording of the movie on an old VHS tape that I recorded from late night TV in the early 70's.
    I've never heard of the movie since!

14. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

The films of Peter Greenaway, Theo Angelopoulos. Big names in the 1990ies, now all the DVDs are out of print. Here in Europe at least, don't know about Criterion.

mozz, JohnG and rockerreds like this.
  15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Fear Eats the Soul.

16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Lady Ice.

17. Knox Harrington

Knox Harrington Forum Resident

To Live and Die in LA

18. CatchAsCan

CatchAsCan Forum Resident

Diary of a Mad Housewife

Jazzmonkie and rockerreds like this.
  19. Tim Lookingbill

Willard is not mentioned a lot but it might be due to too many rats used as a rat army for revenge.

Grand_Ennui and rockerreds like this.
  20. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

"Pump Up The Volume" was directed by Allan Moyle, who started in 1980 with another forgotten movie, "Times Square". I have not been able to see it, but it is very interesting, with Tim Curry, the lovely Trini Alvarado, and a terrific soundtrack. Does anybody remember this film?

21. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Displaying an incredibly bad Irish accent if memory serves.

22. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I love this website, even when I don’t agree with his reviews. The guy really does his homework and covers more films made in the 1970s than most people could probably find time to watch in a lifetime.

Spokeless likes this.
  23. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

Five Easy Pieces

ssmith3046 and rockerreds like this.
  24. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Yep! I’ve seen it a couple of times, including an original (very worn) print at a screening in Quad Cinema in Manhattan once.

It’s a flawed film, possibly due to creative interference. Robert Stigwood forced Moyle to cut out about ten to twenty minutes, and what’s left is sometimes incoherent. But it’s still very good. Stigwood intended this movie to be the Saturday Night Fever of new wave music, but it didn’t work out that way. To be honest, I kind of like it more than SNF. Great soundtrack of vintage punk and new wave, as you mentioned.

This was Tim Curry’s first American film, I think. He’s great, playing a hipster radio disc jockey, but he’s not in the film for very long. The movie is Trina Alvarado’s and Robin Johnson’s show. They’re both terrific.

Kino is working on a blu ray of the movie, out next year, so it will be available again.

mozz likes this.
  25. If I'm honest, I've never seen a Robert Altman film that I enjoyed.

ArchFates and YardByrd like this.