Ready for a new Turntable.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Detroiter in the South, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Detroiter in the South

Detroiter in the South Forum Resident Thread Starter

OK, it's a massive wilderness from what I can tell. Or is it?

I have $1,000 to drop on a tt. System is currently a Darlington MM6 > Willsenton R8 > Tekton Perfect SET 12". Started with a AT LP120 with VM95E cart, it has seemed like a great starter table, and will hang around as a backup.

I think I'm looking for new or used (to maximize my cash's potential).

Want it to sound as good as this money can buy (I know the cart is a big part of that). Want to be able to switch cartridges easily. I like the cuing light, but guess I could live without one. I like the way S arms look, but are they better or worse than straight? Dust cover is a must. No internal preamp needed or wanted. An auto stop would be nice. Full auto not necessary. Must be easy to set-up and adjust.

Can you help me narrow my initial search down?

2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Kinda sounds like you want an SL-1200GR.:)

jeff

ArneW, Robert C, Phil Thien and 9 others like this.
  3. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

FWIW, Darko recently rated the newly released Pr0-ject Evo Pro as better than his SL-1200GR with an ortophon black cartridge.... or I should say, more to his preference...

ls35a likes this.
  4. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

How about a Mission 775S with a Rega RB250 or RB300 on it? That should leave you enough for a decent cartridge - but I am in the camp who believe a really good tonearm with a just-OK cartridge is better than a just-OK tonearm with a really good cartridge.

Or put that Rega arm on a Lenco L75, and eventually build a heavy plinth for it, and have a turntable that is said to rival the best $6000+ turntables. I just made a quick isolated turntable stand out of scrap would, and tried a Grace 707 arm (another good arm that can be had for cheap - make sure it is in good condition including the wiring and cable) on my new-to-me Lenco, and it sounds fantastic. Can't wait to build a heavy plinth for this beast.

If you aren't the DIY sort, then those Technics DDs are pretty darn good for the money. or a Thorens...

So many good old turntables, so little time!

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If the budget is $1K, not going to happen unless OP increases the budget.

At the $1K price range, a 1200MK7 or SL-100C (once available) would work for OP's budget.

Other options too, depending on what OP wants.

I'm loathe to make used suggestions without a list of what is actually for sale in OP's market.

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I wouldn't buy used unless it's been totally refurbished.

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

There is no better or worse, generally speaking. It would come down to the specific arms being compared. All arms have strengths and weaknesses.

Archguy likes this.
  8. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024)

If you are interested in a poll from the people here for best turntable under $1000, there was one earlier this year, results are fairly predictable ... [Poll] Best Turntable Under $1000 USD? (2021 Edition - Pick Two)

But your requirements does limit the field pretty severely in that price range, so not too many choices for new. Plenty for used, but I think people would need more context to make a suggestion, there is always the likelihood that used decks will need some initial maintenance.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  9. hoytis

hoytis PDX Cratedigger

You're definitely describing my SL-1200 MK2 :)

Can highly recommend it. Buy extra head shells and swap carts all day long. Built like a tank. Timing is spot on. Sounds brilliant to my ears.

mackat and Aftermath like this.
  10. edd2b

edd2b Forum Resident

Good points there doctor fuse! :cool:

The existing Lenco L75 arm hole is already the correct geometry for a Linn arm like an old Basik or Basil plus if you can find one going cheap. The existing arm and wiring needs to be removed leaving the existing motor start stop connections in place. Then the arm hole needs opening out to take out a flat edge on one side. Then you need to cut a section of thin ply or MDF board to mount under the deck top plate under the arm to give the Linn arm mounting some thickness to bind to. If you make this board long enough use the old arm rest hole to fix a cap bolt through both top plate and this board. The arm will be too high above the platter and cannot be adjusted low enough due to the thin platter section so a spacer will be needed between the headshell and cartridge unless you double up the platters as some Lenco freaks do. Tune the top plate resonance by glueing bitumastic pads underneath where it doesn’t interfere with the decks mechanicals. Then mount the whole motor unit into a solid wood or birch ply layered plinth to listen.
    The best way though is to mount a better arm to the rear of the deck and both within a custom made plinth so that the correct geometry and height can be built in for the arm of your choice, or have interchangeable arm boards and arms!
    Better still scrap the entire over resonant L75 metal top plate and mount the motor, main bearing and speed change rod to new precision made plates from PTP Audio (about 220 EUs) to set into your custom made plinth. By now you are turning into a deadicated Lenco nutcase! :laugh: I am currently designing my own split plinth Lenco chassis to convert one of my Lencos.

Yes, buy a Technics! :evil:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    The Curator and doctor fuse like this.
  11. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Buy the best Rega table (new or used) your $1,000 will buy. You will never regret that decision when you are playing your vinyl and it is singing to you.

12. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    aunitedlemon and ubiknik like this.
  13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

STUPID QUESTION OF THE DAY

What's the deal with Rega? So many different models. In general, I take it the greater the number, the better the deck? They have a Planar 1 through 10!

14. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Technics SL1200 Mk7. $995.00. One catch though, the dustcover does not have hinges. Have to take it off when using. Not a dealbreaker for me but might be for you?

33na3rd and McLover like this.
  15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yes, the higher end models have a higher number, are more expensive, and are supposed to have better performance.

Vaughan likes this.
  16. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I wish I could get a Technics SL-100C TT ... alas, the SL-1500C is >$1000 ... I'd also want a 2m Bronze cart ...

17. Detroiter in the South

Thank you all. Seems like there is lots of love for the Technics. Why is it considered such a DJ table? What does that even mean for sound quality?

18. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Considered a DJ table by DJ's because it can take what a DJ dishes out.

33na3rd likes this.
  19. BSU

BSU Forum Resident

Rega P3 and then upgrade it when funds become available.

gkella and stereoguy like this.
  20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Definitely a strong recommendation in the $1k range.

DancingSea likes this.
  21. edd2b

edd2b Forum Resident

That could mean nothing in particular for sound quality apart from it being acceptable to many, but the Technics is good for the money for a good number of people while being easy to set up, use and live with..... and change cartridges. You can stop the direct drive platter and record with your hand, scratch or scrub (rotate it backwards and forwards by hand like a DJ) and it won’t flinch or lose its composure when left to run normally again......DJ proof......but I’ve never heard the affordable Technics do what a well sorted and admittedly more costly LP12 can do at times. But I doubt if an LP12, like many finely balanced belt drive decks would stand the rigours of DJ use. You pays yer money! :agree:

BSU likes this.
  22. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Ed, I do believe we smoke the same medicine...

23. hoytis

hoytis PDX Cratedigger

I think it became a DJ favorite for rugged durability, it's quartz locked timing, pitch slider for matching beats, high-torque motor, instant push button cueing...regardless of all that, they truly do sound amazing. Personally, I think it's one of the best value tables per dollar spent. I have my MK2 currently outfitted with a MC AT33Sa and I can't get enough of it.

csgreene and aunitedlemon like this.
  24. Detroiter in the South

This looks like a very nice TT!

25. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

Though I've lately been distracted by tube preamps and speaker research, I have spent quite a bit of time researching this general area of turntables. It led me to be zero in on the Technics 1500 or 1200 GR after sorting through various Regas, and things like Fluance. Thorens seems shady at this price point. But Darko has sold me on the Pro-ject Evo Pro. His Technics GR has a $700 cartridge installed by some Hamburg tone arm expert, and he still prefers the Evo Pro at less than half the price. Makes me think the Evo Pro is, "good enough".