Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

BTW, my Lintons are happily expecting. They are due any moment now ...

2. P194

P194 Member

Congratulations

3. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I hadn't realized until I was looking at Music Direct the other day that the price had increased to $2k w/stands. A significant jump imo.

4. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

They have arrived and they are beautiful! I shall name them Denton.

[​IMG]

davidkeith, willboy and timind like this.
  5. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I correct myself, I see they are $1800. Although I think that's still an increase of where they had been, maybe $1500 w/stands. Everything is going up though, what's new.

timind likes this.
  6. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

Good day everyone, I have a quick question….I’ve been using the smaller 80th Anniv Dentons for some time now with a subwoofer. It’s a small room with ungodly measurements of 12x12x9. Treated with GIK Acoustic panels at first reflection sides, front behind speakers and front bass corners(back of listening still work in progress). They’ve served me well-with a good 2’ off side walls and 2 1/2-3’ off front wall. I’m 1/3 in off the back wall-at near field sweet spot.
    What I’m wondering is, those with a small room and using the Lintons….are they overpowering or juuuuust right? Given that not all small rooms and treatments are equal etc.

I’ve been eyeballing these quite awhile now and seeing the price creep….well…….

captwillard likes this.
  7. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

The price increase just removed these from consideration. I don't need speakers anyway but these and their matching stands had intrigued me. A 20% price increase? Nope. Sadly, a lot of manufacturers are bumping prices 15% and more and are outside anything reasonable price increase-wise with the supply chain issues. Good that I'm already set across the board. Market share for these companies will continue to decline and the audio hobby will change even more and shrink even faster away from traditional components.

RobCos02330, Rick58 and magnet like this.
  8. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

:laughup: :biglaugh: now I get it ... !

davidkeith, timind and AC1 like this.
  9. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

I can't seem to find some kind of all-encompassing 'Wharfedale Denton 85th Anniversary thread' so I'll post it here:

First impressions: I bought them used but they are like new. The previous owner doubts they have 200 hours of playtime. First of all, the Dentons are not the mini versions of the Lintons. They have a noticable treble boost (around 10 kHz) and are therefore less natural and neutral, yet 'musical', especially in a smaller room where they almost sound like floorstanders. They will not sound like floorstanders in a large room (I tried it). The Dentons are more fun & forgiving than the Lintons which behave more like uncolored monitors in comparison. Distance from the wall has a big impact on the bass. With their walnut veneer and old school appearance, they are cute and beautiful to look at, and despite their relatively small size, the Dentons are very, very heavy. If they were as big as the Lintons, you wouldn't be able to lift them.

Okay, I just changed the speaker cables from 'QED silver' to 'QED copper' and the treble is now thankfully somewhat tamed. I find it a bit strange that a huge youtube reviewer said they have a rolled-off treble. Their treble is what sticks out a bit, especially on-axis.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    Rick58 likes this.
  10. Meehael

Meehael Forum Resident

My room is 12x18 with concrete walls and I have bass knob between - 4 dB and -5 dB at 50hz which is not ideal, high bass and low mids are still a bit much. Although sound is big I still get a sense of some kind of compression due to prevailing low mids and bass.

Bass port plugs don't work the same way they did with Dentons, bass sounds distorted with Lintons when ports are plugged.

11. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Meehael, I imagine you’ve tried moving the speakers around, but if you haven’t pulled them well away from the back wall and as far from the side walls as possible and still get a good stereo image, you might try that. Sounds like some room treatment is also warranted. If you have concrete walls and no treatment it’s just going to act like a huge resonant chamber.

Corner bass traps? GIK Acoustics - Tri-Trap Corner Bass Trap - Absorb bass build-up Can get expensive tho. I have two of these stacked in two corners (4 total) and a thick bass trap on the back wall between the speakers. Also six bass/diffuser panels and two free standing traps. Yes, it cost $2500 or something but my system has never sounded more articulate, and smooth in the bass.

My tri-traps have the range limiter, which claims

“RANGE LIMITER – with a membrane, bass traps absorb even lower frequencies while the membrane has less effect absorbing upper frequencies”

I’ve been trying to get a curve from them to no avail.

PS: https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/gik-acoustics-monster-bass-trap-flexrange-technology/ shows the range limiter action on the standard large bass trap. Hopefully it’s similar and even goes a little lower in frequency for the corner tri-trap, which does go lower in the bass than the standard bass trap.

Meehael likes this.
  12. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

BUMMER. At $1500 including stands they were tempting. Oh well.

I think for smaller rooms the Denton + sub and treatment seems ideal.

RobCos02330 likes this.
  13. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

That is, until I changed the speaker cable from black/LF- and red/HF+ (according to Wharfedale's manual instructions) to black/LF- and red/LF+. The sharpness in the treble that I heard before is gone now. They now sound like I hoped they would sound.

[​IMG]

Oh, and I also tightened the screws (odd that this only happens to me, right?)

14. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I don’t know how anyone can decipher their diagram. The posts are sticking out in different directions than the diagram shows …

15. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

The diagram in the manual is accurate (unlike the one on the rear of the speaker).

Rick58 likes this.
  16. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Scratch that! I was so entirely focussed on the treble that I didn't hear how this connection screws up the midrange. I switched it back to how the manual states you should connect it.

Dazz likes this.
  17. ezraslc

ezraslc Well-Known Member

Ive had the Lintons for about 4 months now and I am quite happy with them. I started with a SS IOTAVX Sa3 + PA3 and was quite surprised by how dynamic and controlled the low end was as well and the imaging.... a great match the amp is neutral which pairs well with the warmth the Lintons provide.

I recently purchased a Willsenton R800i to see what the tube sound was going tobe like and wow it really brings out the vocal range and opens a even bigger sound stage. Anyone else using tubes with the Lintons?

VoiceOfChunk, Dazz and ChrisR2060 like this.
  18. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

I have the Linton 85th on their stands - had them for about three months now - using with a late 70s Mitsubishi compact separates set up and I’m loving them. They replaced KEFQ150’s that I had for two years. I see the Linton 85th’s prices just went up by $300.

ChrisR2060 likes this.
  19. raye_penber

raye_penber .

How do you find them compared to your KEFs?

20. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

I'm using a hybrid (Vincent SV-237) which is tube for the first 10 watts. A great match for the Lintons.

21. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Anybody here matching the Lintons with a McIntosh MC275? This is my dream amp and just wondering if anybody can comment.

22. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

I wish!

23. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I don't see why the MC275 wouldn't drive the Lintons wonderfully, but def want to use the 4 ohm taps. The Lintons are a bit difficult to drive at certain frequencies Wharfedale Linton Heritage loudspeaker Measurements , but the MC275 seems stable down to 2 ohm loads McIntosh MC275 power amplifier Measurements , so shouldn't be a problem.

From the 4 ohm tap power vs. distortion graphs, seems like it puts out 60W into 8 ohms and 80W into 4 or 2 ohms before the distortion takes off. OK this is at 1kHz, not wideband ...

Into 2 ohms the overall distortion is a little higher, but still <0.2% which seems pretty darn good for a tube amp. The wideband graph is at 2.83V, which into 2 ohms is 4 watts.

"The impedance is specified as 6 ohms; the solid trace in fig.1 shows that the Linton's impedance is close to 6 ohms for much of the audioband. However, the minimum magnitude is 3.4 ohms at 130Hz, and there is a demanding combination of 5 ohms magnitude and –46° electrical phase angle (dotted trace) at 83Hz. The Wharfedale will work best with amplifiers that are comfortable driving 4 ohms." 5 ohms and -46 degrees is about the equivalent of 1.75 ohms, which is why I commented on the 2 ohm measurements/ratings.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  24. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

Warmer and boxier. I’d say more vintage voiced. The KEFs were cool but I needed a little more oomph.

raye_penber likes this.
  25. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

And here they are, just for fun, the Dentons next to my Lintons (sorry for the poor quality of the photo, it's taken with my phone and it's not an iPhone). The Dentons sound pretty good in this position.

Dazz, ChrisR2060, timind and 3 others like this.