'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

From the BNC thread:

2. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Congratulations on the big win and good luck in the World Series Scotty. My penance for being wrong, I will follow your guidance and listen to whistle stop and Kenny Drew trio this morning. That’s an excellent back to back idea!

mktracy likes this.
  3. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

In apologies to my favorite Braves fan…wait…youre a CARDINALS man. In any case, here’s three records in a row that all have at least some jazz in them and make for a great three pack.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ha! Yes, from St. Louis, but I have been a huge Braves fan even when I still lived there. Let me put it in perspective. 162 games in the regular season. I watched around 150 Cardinals games and around 140 Braves games this season (not counting the playoffs). Yes, I'm a baseball fan. So needless to say, I'm quite happy today! Looks like some fun listening there. Hey, if you do not have a copy, the RSD mono version of "Saucerful Of Secrets" is quite good, not that there is anything wrong with the stereo version...and just check out that bass introduction from Waters on "Let There Be More Light", holy crap!

We need street dates on the next round of Tone Poets, I'm having major withdraws here...

5. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

I just discovered this album (in the form of the BN80 version). Good god it's fantastic. How is the AP45?

Crazysteve likes this.
  6. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

The AP45 is great. I have the BN80 version too but haven’t compared them.

Eric_B likes this.
  7. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

Take all my likes!
    As a Dodgers fan myself, I can confidently say that we are all Braves fans for this World Series. And now I can turn to the abundance of new records waiting for cleaning that took a back seat to the NLCS...

scotti, mktracy and Crazysteve like this.
  8. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

I’m sorry, this thread has gotten away from me. I tried looking back but could not find any consolidated list…but is there an “unofficial” list of upcoming titles from the series? I try to keep them in mind before grabbing some older pressings.

Seems like an Ornette Coleman box is coming?

Thanks in advance.

ETSEQ likes this.
  9. Josquin des Prez

See, you should have two hobbies like me. Not only do I have to wait for the new Tone Poets, but I’m also waiting to hear anything from my bike frame builder…anything! I thought I could be patient, but now I am starting to chomp at the bit. Hell, I pulled my new pedals out of the box just to look at them today.

10. ETSEQ

ETSEQ Forum Resident

No problem, here's a short recap: Yes, an Ornette Coleman box set is coming (supposedly Tone Poet style versions of all Ornette's BN albums + "New and Old Gospel" by Jackie McLean). Some ads and writeups have popped up here and there (someone mentioned the latest Downbeat magazine), and there is a placeholder link on the UK Amazon website with a picture (I'm presuming that December 3, 2021 date on Amazon is no longer accurate, but who knows). Not sure when this is expected.

Here is the official Blue Note list of the current Tone Poet round (not the next round for 2022-2023 we are waiting for). At this point, getting through this round could take all of 2022, so I'm not sure when the next announcement will come.

I like referring to Analog Planet's post of the original announcement for this round because it has the original schedule before everything got derailed. This is both useful to get a sense of the order and possible schedule, and amusing to see how off the original schedule is becoming.

uzn007, mktracy, 420JJJazz666 and 6 others like this.
  11. beyondmiles

Thank you! I forget that we have a long way to go before all the announced titles actually get released.

Wasn’t sure if @scotti was still dropping hints like he had last go around :shh:

Swann36, mktracy and ETSEQ like this.
  12. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

He and others, including Joe on Instagram, have been dropping hints for next batch. There's a list somewhere ITT, but I can't find it now.

13. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

Most of these are consolidated by @Matadore , and hinted/confirmed by @scotti , of course :)

1. Herbie Nichols Trio - s/t (BLP 1519)
    2. Sonny Clark Trio - s/t (BLP 1579)
    3. Lou Donaldson - Midnight Creeper (BST 84280)
    4. Donald Byrd - Slow Drag (BST 84292)
    5. Jackie McLean - Demon's Dance (BST 84345)
    6. Andrew Hill - Dance with Death
    7. Stanley Turrentine - Mr. Natural
    8. Chet Baker - Chet Baker Sings and Plays
    9. Carmell Jones - The Remarkable Carmell Jones
    Additions:

Jack Wilson - Easterly Winds
    Wayne Shorter - Odyssey of Iska
    Maybe Bobby Hutcherson - Dialogue? I might have mixed that one up with general musical discussions/wishes on here. But would be amazing if I didn't.

I listened to Dance to Death yesterday, have a feeling that will be a real series highlight! It'll be a while though, of course :D

puelche, ETSEQ, mktracy and 5 others like this.
  14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I think with all of the current delays, I'm keeping quiet regarding any other future releases. Best to let Joe and the BN team take care of that for now. Look at all of the records hitting in December...

As a Dodgers fan myself, I can confidently say that we are all Braves fans for this World Series. And now I can turn to the abundance of new records waiting for cleaning that took a back seat to the NLCS...[/QUOTE] @bruinuclafan thanks for staying with the NL! I assume you are not a Bulldogs fan though...

Being a baseball fan since I was very young, I have always admired the Dodgers organization. I'm also keen to the fact that the Braves were hit with their key injuries earlier in the season (and then made some great moves), unlike LA who had it hit them smack in the middle of the playoffs. I will however say that the way they managed their pitching staff was questionable at best though. With that said, you have a wonderful fan base out there with much history to be proud of.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  15. beyondmiles

Thank you! I’m salivating.

Petter Premberg likes this.
  16. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

@bruinuclafan thanks for staying with the NL! I assume you are not a Bulldogs fan though...

Being a baseball fan since I was very young, I have always admired the Dodgers organization. I'm also keen to the fact that the Braves were hit with their key injuries earlier in the season (and then made some great moves), unlike LA who had it hit them smack in the middle of the playoffs. I will however say that the way they managed their pitching staff was questionable at best though. With that said, you have a wonderful fan base out there with much history to be proud of.[/QUOTE]

I'm sort of having a hard time rooting for either team. The Atlanta Braves, even though they were originally from Boston (I ran across an old program at an antique shop), their fan base does the Indian War Chant, an inadvertent insult to Native Americans. And then there are the Astros.

Cutting all that out of the equation, I'll probably root for the Braves, but...

mktracy, Crazysteve and scotti like this.
  17. testingcan

testingcan Forum Dissident

After a long absence of Tone Poet releases (that was filled with a deeper dive into Jim Hall's and Donald Byrd's catalogues, as well as some much more heavy stuff) I've gotten Sonny Clark's My Conception in the mail and man, I'm already wondering why I haven't gotten back to the Tone Poets sooner.

What an exquisite session and pressing! I've recently upgraded from the Ortofon 2m Red to the Blue and I guess it has been dying to be used on a new Tone Poet! I've been worried that everybody has been praising Expansions over My Conception in here lately, but after listening to My Conception I'm more than glad that I went with it (and I'm pretty sure that Expansions is not far on the horizon for me, damn it).

puelche, mktracy, CBackley and 2 others like this.
  18. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Right, Joe said it was ok to discuss the Ornette Coleman box, since the ads were printed in Downbeat and Jazz Times.

They were aiming for early December, but industry-wide production delays now have it at January, and that's not locked in. They were waiting for a firm street date before officially announcing, but I guess that's really hard to do with marketing needing to run print ads.

The ads are accurate, and all the details have been mentioned already, but just to sum up: Round Trip: Ornette Coleman on Blue Note. "A boxset that presents all-analog 180g Tone Poet Vinyl Editions of all six Blue Note albums featuring iconoclastic saxophonist Ornette Coleman–the two-volume At the 'Golden Circle' Stockholm (1965), The Empty Foxhole (1966), New York Is Now! (1968), and Love Call (1968) & Jackie McLean's New and Old Gospel (1967). Includes a booklet featuring rare photos and an enlightening essay by critic Thomas Conrad."

So, yep. It's a Tone Poet boxset, produced by Joe Harley. Ornette's Blue Note records, cut AAA by Kevin Gray. Judging from the ad, it looks like Love Call is a gatefold with session photos, and the others will be single-pocket jackets, but I'm told there are some stunning and rare photos in the booklet.

I can't wait! I hope the avant-garde fans are as excited as I am. And yes, I want more, too!

19. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I believe Amazon UK are showing it as released December 8th, with several other records to buy in the next two months I'm glad of the delay as £200 is a large chunk of my budget, even though selling my French Golden Circles helps.

Swann36, Kimiimacman and Gabe Walters like this.
  20. Josquin des Prez

I have been begging Joe for the Golden Circle sessions for years. I am more than excited about it!

21. Craig's Story

Craig's Story Forum Resident

Always enjoy your comments and posts, and appreciate your connection with Mr Tone Poet.
    Guess I’m now with you for pulling for your Braves but may I mention that the Blue Jays won 3 more games than the Braves. And won the season series 6-0 against the Braves

Swann36 and scotti like this.
  22. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm hearing it won't be December.

Swann36 and Dubmart like this.
  23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Yes, more than excited for this! I'll just let you, Gabe, and others chime in on it. My raves will come after I get it and take the set for a spin. I did pull out my copy of "For Django" recently and can't wait for some Tone Poet magic on this awesome record!

Blue Jays are a great team! But San Francisco had the best record in baseball and look what happened to them. You need to manage differently in the playoffs, hope players get hot at the right time, and stop having the upstairs try and tell the manager how to use the bullpen, look what happened to LA.

Hey, and if anyone likes a good Rock record that knows how to be adventurous, the new Parquet Courts "Sympathy For Life" is most likely my favorite record of the year (outside Jazz). The music at times sounds just like Talking Heads did on "Remain In Light" infused with the instrumentation groove of "Can". Going for my third listen later today.

If we all think real hard the new Tone Poet street dates will arrive...

Dignan2000, JoFr, Swann36 and 3 others like this.
  24. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I certainly didn't expect to see Parquet Courts mentioned in the Tone Poet thread! I love the new album, too. Sounds great on vinyl, as well.

scotti likes this.
  25. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

Very exciting indeed! Pretty certain that I’ll be buying the set, but I wonder if the albums will also be released separately, perhaps after the - I assume limited - box is sold out?

muletrane and scotti like this.