'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Yeah, he mentioned to me he was concerned because it was out there, as far as Wayne Shorter goes. But late-period Wayne Shorter is not off the table, either, and that actually goes farther out, I think.

2. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

If there will be no Unity Tone Poet, I nominate Larry Young's Of Love and Peace. I consider it to be an overlooked part of Young's discography, and could very well be put under the "spiritual jazz" umbrella.

3. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

I don’t think that is a fair complaint. You can either buy or not for whatever reason…that’s on you and you are not “forced”to buy anything. There are an inordinate amount of lps I want to obtain new or used…I pick and choose. I’m an adult and understand I cannot have everything I want.

Additionally and unless I am mistaken, we don’t even have release dates for future Tone Poets nor this box set. It seems the lead times are getting longer for these releases and less predictable, release dates being pushed back, etc….

4. Gabe Walters

Larry Young, Contrasts, would be a good one too.

5. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Of course it's a fair complaint. I'm not saying "Hey, don't release this because I can't buy it". I'm saying "I'd prefer having these 6 titles released as individual LPs so I am able to pick which ones I buy". No one is forcing me to buy the box, but they are forcing me to buy the box if I want one or two of those titles. So it's either "spend €300 for those two titles you want or don't buy them at all". I hope this is clear enough.

6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ha! I must have been telling him how excited I was to see it coming and nothing else was said. It does seem like more and more people are warming up to Jazz that stretches out a bit or even more so for that matter. I have some friends that are fans of Progressive Rock that are not really into Jazz. I have turned them on to Jazz records that are out there (for lack of better words) and the results have been very favorable...there is hope yet.

edit - 21 pages to go until 1000, what fun its been!

Dignan2000, Korato69, Swann36 and 4 others like this.
  7. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Ok, I got sidetracked by the market is flooded, etc…comments. Understood.

I still don’t think it’s a fair complaint. And it certainly won’t be a fair complaint if they sell the number of box sets that they want to sell and make their targets.

If you only want one or two lps, you are clearly not forced to buy the box set. Again, we can’t have everything we want in life.

They are running a business. I think the idea of box sets that blend in the marginal lps is a good one for Blue Note to try.

8. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

You're mixing in things that I didn't say. I'm not saying it will fail. In fact, I'm sure it will sell well. But I have the right to say that I don't like the way they're doing this as a consumer. Mainly how the market is flooded with releases right now. And, in my opinion, I think they're going to lose money somewhere down the line though, but the difference maybe isn't worth the risk. The guys who will buy this boxset, would buy the 6 individual LPs. And to those, they could add all the others who would not buy the 6, but could potentially buy 2, 3 or 4. Who knows...

That's all there is to what I said. And as you can see, I'm not the only one thinking this way. But it's just my opinion. I was expressing my disappointment as a customer.

Tlay, danasgoodstuff, Peterr and 3 others like this.
  9. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

I think it’d be a perfectly fine compromise to offer a limited, numbered boxset with a booklet exclusive to the set first, followed by the individual titles some time later.

The original objective of the Tone Poet series was that they’re not limited in the strict meaning of that term, and will stay in print for a decent amount of time.

Kimiimacman, trd and dastinger like this.
  10. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I know its so yesterday, however is there any chance this boxset is coming out on CD as well??

dastinger likes this.
  11. Gabe Walters

I don't know.

Kiss73 likes this.
  12. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

i didn’t say you said it will fail. Also didn’t say you don’t have a right to criticize. I said I don’t think it’s fair to criticize a release because you, personally, do not want all of the lps. I think you understand that you are not Blue Notes only customer so why even take such an opinion?

Agree to disagree.

As I said, if they don’t make their targets, your opinion here will gain much greater merit and we will know that it was a bad strategy! However, we may never know this other than box sets sitting for a long time unsold.

13. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

What if I wanted all the LPs but couldn't pay €300 at once, would that make it fair by your rules? Would I be allowed to say how I feel about the way this is being released?

Jesus... Next time I promise I will not share my opinion on an open online forum.

End of discussion.

Ste_S, garrincha, Swann36 and 2 others like this.
  14. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

I was only a marginal jazz fan until I heard Katanga and I thought it sounded amazing, great soundstage, quiet and flat and solid. I did have a few basics, but I have picked up quite a few Tone Poets ever since and I have not been disappointed. It's opened up a whole new world for me of recordings from the 50s and early 60s. Quite a few are hard to find so looking forward to new releases. Not sure about an Ornette Coleman box set. Might have to do some research on the titles first. I did see him at Massey Hall in Toronto and quite enjoyed it.

I also picked up a few of the Classic Vinyl reissue series too and by and large I am also happy with those.

Dignan2000, mackeyse, Plinko and 5 others like this.
  15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

If I might suggest to those who don't want all of the titles, breaking up the Box set and selling the titles individually on the forum.
    I may go this route as I would like a few of these titles but not all of them.

Does anybody know what retail is?

Plinko and CBackley like this.
  16. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

Not a bad idea.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  17. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

this 1000% ! it seems like parcelled out would be a recipe for a couple of titles and then losing interest
    for anything that's not a big seller in the mainstream.

18. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I totally understand his reasoning. But man, I wish this wasn’t the case. Selfishly. I only started listening to jazz about a year ago. I didn’t but any MMJ until very recently. I’d love to get nice pressings without selling a kidney. :) Again, I totally understand Joe’s view on this.

trd and allbrosca like this.
  19. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I understand the frustration. I selfishly support Joe’s attitude about not duplicating the MMJ titles since I want the new titles. I removed myself as a MMJ subscriber after they started the 33 series and it was clear they were just repeating titles already done, and doing very few unique ones. I’m also glad I skipped the SRX circus.

CBackley, trd and mktracy like this.
  20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I don't.
    From a retail standpoint, some titles like say Blue Trane would sell regardless. And many of us don't have any MMJ titles!

21. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

MMJ did the mono of Blue Train, so the stereo might still be fair game. :shrug:

Kimiimacman, CBackley and trd like this.
  22. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Instagram post from Joe Harley:

It was high time to show the great Blue Mitchell some love so what better way to do it than with his soulful album Bring It Home To Me! Check out a bit of Freedom Jazz Dance.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CVdr2x3gT73/

uzn007, Ronnieb, Kimiimacman and 5 others like this.
  23. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

I still think you’re onto something here. I believe the Dorham Cafe Bohemia LP is not the full concert. Same for the Rollins Village Vanguard LP. Issuing these as the full concerts for the first time on vinyl a la the Morgan Lighthouse box (albeit on a smaller scale) would be just fine by me.

24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

It's interesting that Atlantic also decided to sell the Ornette albums in a box a few years ago, possibly they were thinking along the same lines about demand, though the Atlantic box was much, much cheaper, I saw one new for the same cost as a single TP.

25. getitshorty

getitshorty Forum Resident

I think this one is some smart packaging...even with the IMO unbelievable response to free/spiritual jazz, Ornette is a still a niche within a niche (jazz). His fans are pretty rabid and will flock to this because unless you've got originals there's no way you can replicate SQ (and TP's may even be better) so they will be buying again. The free/spiritual jazz fans will be buying because seemingly there is an endless thirst for this. Then the collector aspect hits..

Why not do it once and get all the low hanging fruit on the first go and cash that check...if the response sells out, all the metal is made and they can either repress as a set, or let these trickle out over the next years on a single basis (doesn't damage the sets collectability and encourages sampling at a lower cost)

they got f'd on timing though as this no longer falls in the xmas spending window due to pressing capacity issues...I think its a pretty smart play for what is an incredibly niche product that is having its moment.