let's talk about our pressing of ALVEAR (Led Zep, AC / DC, CCR, Young ... and others ...)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Christophe Lethimonnier, Oct 22, 2021.

1. dee

dee Senior Member

The LZIV A9/B6 record. Audio sounds close to pristine to me and this record plays great. Cymbals crash. Vocals soar. Guitar solos scourge in Black Dog and beyond. Bass sound rolls down under in Rock and Roll. Superb. Piano pings and tinkles. At this listening volume my ears are going to be ringing, better turn it down. Onto Evermore. Acoustic string instruments and opening vocals hard to not become completely immersed in listening to. Glad I bought this record. The vinyl is super quiet. Sandy Denny's upper register vocals sweetly (and strongly) bellow. Stairway's spirit :D;) is a nice, mellow, change of pace, even as the instrumentation builds to the transitional instrumental section. Plant's voice is so 'sweet' and plaintive through the main section of the song. A little less detail and clarity in part of the second section as it seems to get over-saturated except that the guitar solo and the drumming into the vocal section sound perfect and distinct to my ears.

There's a consistency of sound throughout this version of the album that I appreciate. I had to turn down MMH some. So many vocals - it was a very heady sound. It was a little too strong imo. Turned the listening volume back up for Four Sticks. Those electric guitars do sound close to savage here and the bass and percussion immense in the post-verse sections. Stand-out track to my ears. Then those synths come in on top of it all. Outstanding. That studio track is a mind-blower!
    Back to Cali and the sweeter-voiced Plant. Nice to hear the return of the acoustic stringed instruments. The vocal in the bridge sounds not harsh nor screechy to me. Throughout the song it seems to me to have a 'nicer' or rounder sound to it.
    Such a very short but cool effect at the end with what sounds like a 'kind of good-bye' coda. WTLB required a listening volume adjustment (lower) for me to better match the volume and eq and my level of ear comfort. A little too strong in the mid and higher range for me. Overall, for me, this record was a treat to find in this kind of playing condition and sound. Sounded very different than the CCR debut!;) My ears are singing so no more listening.

2. dee

dee Senior Member

Thanks.Helpful.

HFAS-84103-A3 ~~~
    150 019-B1 alvear

Sear likes this.
  3. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident Thread Starter

What I really appreciated with his mastering of Led Zeppelin lV (A8 / B6 and A11 / B4) is this feeling of fullness and freshness. A very organic mastering, almost sensual I dare say! Very balanced too. Not radical like the brutal Led Zep ll A8 / B8 !!!

PS: yes agree with you, "Four stick" is the Highligth of this superb mastering; sounds huge!

VinylCountdown and dee like this.
  4. dee

dee Senior Member

Well said.

I agree, definitely 'fresh' and yes, I think quite 'full' too!

5. Christophe Lethimonnier

Also think that the first CCRs are less well recorded / mixed than the last albums! ;-)

The mastering of "Willy and the poor boys" is one of Alvear's masterpieces (A3 / B3). Lots a lot of air and depth! Marvellous ! I have the OCR and Hoffman / Gray versions. Objectively very good but does not translate the poetry of this wonderful album! Too much "in the studio"! ... Hey, these musicians are supposed to play outside ... right ?! ;-D

the mastering of ALVEAR is sublime! One of my favorites!

VinylCountdown likes this.
  6. Christophe Lethimonnier

7. dee

dee Senior Member

Referring above to Bayou Country! Not their debut! Sorry about that!!!

8. multirock

multirock Forum Resident

I'm going to give some info that I have found since I read about the Alvear masterings from first time thanks to Mr. Christophe Lethimonnier.
    The oldiest record that I found mastered by Alvear is Morrison Hotel, by The Doors; a spanish pressing from 1971. I think this is the earliest year that we have info about his work. At least the first time he sign his work.
    That particular album sounds great! Really nice. One of his best works in my opinion. The way he worked with the bass and stereo image is amazing. I think he doesn't work with early master tapes, but he can get very close to the originals. I compared this spanish pressing with my Red Elektra US from 1970, and they are so close. The US press reveals his closeness to the master tapes, but only in very subtle details. I'm sure that if Alvear could have work with early tapes, his masterings would be as good as Robert Ludwig's.

I have found many albums mastered by him. Here is a list:

1. Led zeppelin I, II, III (just side one), IV, HOTH, TSRTS.
    2. The Doors; Morrison Hotel
    3. Faces; First step (Just side one), ANAGAAW, Long Player
    4. Creedence Clearwater Revival; Pendulum, Willy And the Poor boys
    5. Neil Young; Zuma, Time fades away, Tonight's the night (just side one), American stars 'n bars
    6. Country Joe & the fish; I feel like I'm fixin' to die
    7. Yes; Fragile
    8. Jon Anderson; Songs of seven
    9. AC/DC; High Voltage, Highway to Hell, If you want blood...,
    10. The Doobie Brothers; Toulouse Street
    11. America; selftitled (just side one)
    12. Fleetwood Mac; Bare Trees.

All these records have been confirmed by his signature int he deadwax.
    Although, according to others members of this forum, seems to be that some albums may have been mastered by Alvear even if they don't have his signature. Could be. I have a Cosmo's Factory copy of CCR without sign that sounds as good as my Pendulum copy (signed). Also I have a First step album by The Faces signed on just side one, but both sides sounds the same. It is not a certainty, but maybe one clue it's find the handwritten runouts and with his usual marks (1-, 2.)
    From these records we can assume he works with records from Reprise, Atlantic, Elektra, Fantasy, Warner Brothers, and Vanguard companies.
    In a later post I will share my impressions about other comparisons I have made between Alvear and others original copies.
    Cheers

9. dee

dee Senior Member

And fwiw, there are many many more signed titles to be added.

Can you be sure of the 1971 date for the Doors 'MHotel'?

Like many elsewhere in the US or UK and elsewhere, he did not always sign both sides which can lead to questions about the unsigned side.

10. multirock

multirock Forum Resident

Yes, please share the Alvear works that you all know.
    Spanish pressings has a date in the label which describe the legal registration date of that copy ("Depósito Legal"). I don`t know if this is a one hundred percent certain rule, but usually that date match with de pressing year.
    As you said, if only the signed albums/sides are true Alvear works only our ears will know, and I don't think we can be able to establish a rule for sure.

11. dee

dee Senior Member

Also, with MHotel, in 1971, in Spain, Peace Frog was deleted from the release. Replaced with Not To Touch The Earth. As far as I have read.

12. dee

dee Senior Member

Also, in the pressings I have, there is almost always on the opposite side of the deadwax, opposite the matrix, what looks like the letter 'v'

13. dee

dee Senior Member

Or perhaps by the handwriting in the etchings.

14. Christophe Lethimonnier

These are normally stamper numbers: 1.1 or 1.2.

Never seen a 1.3

I will try to post some pictures about it ... when I have good light! ;-)

dee likes this.
  15. dee

dee Senior Member

Yes another is Pete Townshend's Empty Glass LP.

I had another great title I really (profanity wanted) and was in my cart and verifying with the seller who said it was already sold and then later confirmed the ~~~ which made it seem alnost suspicious. One I had found on my own when doing much searching.

Yet another seller pulled what ended up being 3 US copies of a title and the Spain one he listed was misfiled or he didn't know where it could be.

16. Christophe Lethimonnier

Hispavox was a big label. Presumably he received a first generation copy. Which is more than enough to produce superb mastering. Now the expertise of the Spanish engineers is remarkable (let's not forget the colleagues at Alvear!). Yes, I think some of ALVEAR's masterings are world class. And what I like about him is the three-dimensionality and the breathing of his masterings. A lot of masterings now seem "mechanical" to me after him!

17. Christophe Lethimonnier

ALVEAR remastered ALL of the Creedence Clearwater Revival and almost all of the AC / DC ... until the early 80's I think?

His mastering of Back in black is exceptional! (not his signature in the matrix ! :cop:

:tiphat:

18. Christophe Lethimonnier

AC/DC Back in black ( mastering ALVEAR)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this matrix configuration, I suspect The Blues Brothers soundtrack to be remastered by ALVEAR!

kevinsponge and dee like this.
  19. Jem

Jem Forum Resident

Intrigued by the AC/DC records…

Christophe Lethimonnier and dee like this.
  20. AL01

AL01 Eh?

Forgive me for this blunt question but is there any way we can hear a sample (not long by any means) from an Alvear pressing?

21. mr. faded glory

mr. faded glory Forum Resident

This has been a very enjoyable thread to read. Thank you Christopher Lethimonnier for the thread and the enthusiasm you have brought to it. I for one am sold. However, living where I do there are slim chances of me coming across any of his work out in the wild. And shopping for records by mastering engineers on line seems like it would be pretty difficult.

22. Christophe Lethimonnier

Here are some samples in HD 24/96 wave of albums mastered by ALVEAR (CCR, Led Zep, AC / DC ...)

I think they are good enough to get a good idea.

CCR down on the corner:

CREEDENCEdownonthecorneralvear.wav - Shared with pCloud

CCR fortunate son:

CREEDENCEfortunatesonalvear.wav - Shared with pCloud

CCR before accuse me:

CREEDENCEbeforeaccusemeeralvear.wav - Shared with pCloud

AC/DC it's a long way to the top:

ACDCitsalongwaytothetopalvear.wav - Shared with pCloud

AC/DC The Jack:

ACDCthejackalvear.wav - Shared with pCloud

AC/DC Hell's bells :

ACDC back in black hells bells ( spanish pressing).wav - Shared with pCloud

Led Zeppelin Whole lotta love :

WLLalvear.wav - Shared with pCloud

Led Zeppelin What is should and what is should never be :

WHATISalvear.wav - Shared with pCloud

Led Zeppelin Heartbreaker:

HEARTBREAKERalvear.wav - Shared with pCloud

Led Zeppelin ramble on:

RAMBLEONalvear.wav - Shared with pCloud

Led Zeppelin Moby Dick :

MOBYDICKalvear.wav - Shared with pCloud

Led Zeppelin Bring it at home :

BRINGITalvear.wav - Shared with pCloud

Led Zeppelin You shook me/ Dazed and confused:

LEDZEPyoushookmedazedandconfused.wav - Shared with pCloud

Led Zeppelin l can't quit you baby:

LEDZEPIcantquityoubabyalvear.wav - Shared with pCloud

Led Zeppelin Starway to heaven :

https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZqsG5ZE8jK0jJckUhW3wQ1HIVelbgsDKuV

Led Zeppelin Four sticks :

https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZOsG5ZYqdGrAtvxiREFO19UcoVTbQUrSD7

:tiphat:

VinylCountdown and AL01 like this.
  23. Christophe Lethimonnier

VinylCountdown and AL01 like this.
  24. dee

dee Senior Member

Me too. I actually, ahem, had only 1 US pressed title on vinyl before. Whilst copies are available, the relatively small pressing runs, I assume, do not offer a large quantity to choose from sellers, and between that, condition, shipping (for me in US) they are probably out of my price range. Would like to hear some samples too.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  25. dee

dee Senior Member

That 'v' mark I speak of appears separate from the matrix. Usually the matrix is around 6 o'clock and then usuallly this 'v' mark is more around 12 o'clock? It is as if it is another identifier? Perhaps it is meant for the Hispavox label? Now that I have about 6 differemt ones or so and a few more on the way I can better look at the etched handwritten numbers. It appears the 7's are crossed and the 2's resemble Z's in your most recent photo?