The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Did i hear a crack?

2. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

The Kinks' importance to me has not diminished over time, and that's all that matters to me.

3. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Whip Lady
    I would have loved to hear a fully fleshed out version of this. It's fine as it is as a soundtrack interlude, but this could have been a solid extended rocker. The intro is cool and then this launches into a frenzy with Avory totally off the hook! Love it.

Dreams
    At times rather Beatle-esque. Aside from those Beatle-esque moments (mostly in the rhythm guitar and some verse vocals), I love the builds and transitions in this song. Lyrically it's fine and not spectacular, but as a total package this song is definitely a keeper.

4. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

Better than seeing one.

5. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Like this?

Steve62 and palisantrancho like this.
  6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

"Animals in the Zoo" - A lesser track, IMO. Of the tracks with vocals, it's the weakest one yet. I don't find it musically interesting and the lyrics cover a similar theme. Though I do like the "God made the moon and the rain and the sun / But man made the money and the bombs and the guns" part. It kind of goes with "God's Children" in a bit. Weird that there's so much God promotion on the soundtrack to a ***** transplant movie.

"Just Friends" - I am still undecided on this one after revisiting several times for review. Musically it's very beautiful for sure. Lyrically it's nice as well, though the part about "I shall not molest" you, while reassuring, it's somewhat cringe. Because while 'molest' means touch, these days we associate it with something far worse. I'm probably on the side of liking this, especially the third verse.

7. All Down The Line

Whip Lady

Aye a lovely sweet intro i do like, reminiscent of opening my sister's jewellery box and listening as the ballerina spins back in the mid 70's.
    Then we get the flagellation which is just as well as the idea is to get the audio to match the film scene and for the Kinks to think visual!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    Wondergirl, Steve62, DISKOJOE and 5 others like this.
  8. All Down The Line

Dreams

Ray sounds very innocent & genteel & we get fine ensemble playing throughout this well structured tune.
    Someone mentioned kids songs and i reckon the Wiggles could splendidly rework this if management can see past Emma singing a song transplanted from a Percy soundtrack!

Wondergirl, Steve62, DISKOJOE and 5 others like this.
  9. All Down The Line

That may depend on your view.

Steve62 and DISKOJOE like this.
  10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

It seems to be increasing for me personally, and the whole music community....
    Who would have expected the Village box to chart?

11. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Which is why the base premise of that our-of-control thread is wrong.

12. mark winstanley

I guess it depends what you're into

13. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"Whip Lady"

This sounds like The Who with Mick bashing out the drums. My only problem with this song is that it is too short. I also am glad to have found out that there was an actual "Whip Lady" in the film when this song was used. So I suppose it was written for that scene and just meant to be a quick whip of energy.

"Dreams"

This is great and flashes back to the 60s with its flanger vocal effect where "rocking horse people eat marshmallow pies". I agree with @Fischman that this is very Beatles-esque. Another excellent tune for Percy!

14. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:laugh: The chord progression is literally A C D C over and over again. That had to have been deliberate!

15. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: This sounds to me like it was written very quickly. It pretty much revolves around all the easiest chords to play on a guitar (A E D Bm G etc).

All Down The Line, DISKOJOE and Zeki like this.
  16. Don't forget "Phenomenal Cat."

17. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I think ‘Tin Soldier Man’ could also qualify for the ‘Kinks sing for tiny tots’ LP,

18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

And maybe ‘Act Nice and Gentle’? I can see kids heads bopping to it.

19. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

And Plastic Man - fun and there are few words kids giggle about more than the one the BBC took objection to!

20. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

:laughup: I'd never seen that clip before but I love Flight of the Conchords. They've done some very funny and inventive songs .

21. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

You could start "the true story of how AC/DC got their name" thread. It could run for years :D

mark winstanley and DISKOJOE like this.
  22. mark winstanley

and of course who wrote the lyrics for .... nahh best forget it :)

All Down The Line and DISKOJOE like this.
  23. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Whip Lady
    This one is a surprise, huh? Starts off so lovely and then WHAM! Geez, i LOVE the drums on this. The guitar is ok, but it reminds me a bit of the squawk made on Rats. But not as annoying. :D But would have liked to hear a full song made of this, especially if Whip Lady was part of the lyrics. oo la la. (Maybe my name would have been Whipgirl. LOL).

Dreams
    Now this is a good one! Damned catchy!
    Like when the addition of the piano sound right before "Racing driver..." - Gosling is really bangin' it out there. This part sounds very TRex-ish - between the piano and guitar sounds. Which I don't mind.

and at least the first time Ray sings the couplet of "dream I'm far away", it DOES sound like he's far away from the mic - like across the room and maybe around the corner. I'm sure that's purposeful.

Overall, great song!

24. All Down The Line

Ok, did they land the concorde?

mark winstanley and DISKOJOE like this.
  25. mark winstanley

They sure seemed to in the USA