'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Yes, it would still be fair.

I sincerely apologize. Your opinion as a customer is valid (as all are), it’s worthy to share, and others may agree with you. And I think that may be the case for many. I simply disagree and don’t see the rationale here. There is no right or wrong and it’s no big deal. Again, I am really sorry if I offended.

2. RyeB

RyeB Forum Resident

I'm really surprised they didn't pick Blue Train for the Classic Series. In time, I would assume.

Crazysteve, mktracy and patient_ot like this.
  3. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

It makes zero sense. I would have guessed that it was a 99.99% certainty for the second round and they threw us a curve ball and basically gave us a BN82 series. Not complaining about that approach, but was really hoping to see titles like Blue Train, Search For New Land, Point of Departure, and other iconic big hitters

4. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

I was in a piano trio mood and decided to spin Now He Sings Mow He Sobs. I started out playing the more recent OJC pressing of Portrait in Jazz hy Bill Evans, but decided to switch over. Its amazing how much better this sounds, but honestly i think the playing is more brilliant as well. Such a fantastic release from the Tone Poet team. I hope it gets repressed soon for those who missed out.

5. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I'm good with a complete Ornette box. Otherwise some of these albums might not see a release for many years.

With the direction Blue Note Classics has now taken, not even clear if the Golden Circle Stockholm titles would have been released anytime soon.

trd likes this.
  6. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

No harm done :righton:

mktracy and Swann36 like this.
  7. Kumocat

Kumocat Jazz Cat

They just don't play all their cards yet, so they're as you said open for the next round... a shame still with what they did with Blue Train in the BN75 series treatment.. :( It sounds okay but still far from enjoyable.

mktracy and Swann36 like this.
  8. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

It's currently still available as a 75th series. Maybe too much leftover stock?
    John Coltrane - Blue Train - Amazon.com Music

9. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

It was all analogue as well if I remember correctly - it was in the same series as the Coltrane, where they left titles out because the master tapes had gone missing.

10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Being the same series as the Coltrane makes sense Dean though I don't remember reading or thinking that, it was quite low key at the time I don't know if it was even mentioned on here, though obviously Jazz seems to have become much more popular in the last three years, they did include an LP of unreleased material which was a nice touch. Incidentally for those that don't have Ornette's Atlantic albums they are the place to start and definitely more essential than the Blue Notes, anyone thinking of getting the TP box should really grab the Atlantics first.

Chris Bernhardt and Dai like this.
  11. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Just looked and it was the same team involved led I think by Florence Joelle who has worked on the Jazz stuff at Warners for donkey's years.
    I realised that I never got the Ornette, but the other one that they did which was Ray Charles in Mono. It seems that Ornette came two years after those first two.

mktracy and Dubmart like this.
  12. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

For those local to the DC Metro area, next week is the Capital Audio Fest in Rockville, MD. I am planning to go on Friday and Saturday, so if anyone wants to meet up, I'll be there!

Biff Jones and CBackley like this.
  13. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

I took a punt on this a couple of months ago despite the poor reviews of the pressing, and sure enough, had clicking on the title track. At least I didn't get one of the pressings with "Guardians of the Galaxy" on side 1!

14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Much time on my hands once again. I'm trying to finish up ordering all of the titles coming through 12/10. Of course the two Nov. Mingus titles, but then on 12/3 we get the Art Blakey "Tokyo" and the Lonnie Smith (finally). But look out for 12/10 as for my tastes we have the new Neil Young and Crazy Horse (it better Rock as the preview song is boring and acoustic). Four Coltrane records from the Acoustic Sound Series and four titles from the BN Classic Series. Out of the records I mentioned, the only two I'm on the fence with are the Blakey and the Kenny Cox (never cared for it).

So that brings me once again to the future date or dates of the upcoming Tone Poets. Go ahead team, give us four on 12/10 as well. I just don't want to bug Joe about release dates right now because of the delays.

Folks, what am I missing here? I have all of the MoFi announced titles preordered that I want already. I have to missing something...

kt66brooklyn, Crazysteve and mktracy like this.
  15. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

It’s a little further out (Feb 11) but I can’t let you overlook Kenny G - New Standards.
    No Thank You’s needed, just looking out for my pal.

RyeB, Stu02, Greenmonster2420 and 5 others like this.
  16. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

And I thought we were talking about jazz musicians, or just musicians, period. :shrug:

puelche, Aeryn Sun, RyeB and 4 others like this.
  17. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Woah woah woah, am I reading this right? Now we're saying Kenny G isn't a musician?

BLASPHEMY!

18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

We might get another Craft one step lottery and if you come into some money there's the ERC Coltrane stereo.

19. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

There's actually 8 (!) upcoming BNCs in that timeframe; 4 in November and 4 in December. :D

To me, Kenny Cox and the Messengers in Tokyo set actually seem like the two of the strongest of the BN releases, I was unfamiliar with the former but digging it big time after streaming.

Hoping for the TPs to come back with a bang some time soon too!

20. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

75 million records sold. He must be good at something:D

Harrison_Bergeron likes this.
  21. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

You mean this set? Retail price is $175 (for 10 LPs). If you saw one for the price of a single TP, that was quite a deal!

Ornette Coleman-The Atlantic Years-Vinyl Box Sets|Acoustic Sounds

22. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

mackeyse, puelche, PATB and 3 others like this.
  23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

That's the one, I looked it up and it was slightly more than a Tone Poet, £42.90 from All Your Music in September 2019.

Swann36 and Tom Campbell like this.
  24. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

25. Ronnieb

Ronnieb Forum Resident

Tonight I dusted off Bobby Hutcherson’s The Kicker to test my newly arrived vintage Tannoy set. What a joy it is to play this gem again. Joe Henderson and Grant Green are battling on the left and right speakers with Bobby’s vibraphone beautifully centered. Highly recommended and I guess highly anticipated as a rerun by many.

Dignan2000, AnalogJ, mktracy and 6 others like this.