Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I was fortunate to see him a number of times when he was just starting out.

Radio likes this.
  2. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Enjoying a real favorite at the moment...

[​IMG]
    Chet Baker – In New York
    Label:
    DCC Compact Classics – GZS-1101
    Format:
    CD, Album, Reissue, Remastered, 24 Karat Gold Disc
    Released: 1996
    Genre: Jazz
    Style: Hard Bop

which has gotten me to think I may need to expand my rather slim Chet Baker selection of 5 albums. I am cueing up this on Qobuz for a listen next...

[​IMG]
    Chet Baker Sextet ‎– Chet Is Back!
    Genre:
    Jazz
    Style:
    Cool Jazz
    Year:

lschwart, Irish51, bluemooze and 11 others like this.
  3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Reflecting on a comment above a post I made a moment ago about seeing someone live it seems to me for a person who loves Jazz so very much I have seen so very, very few live performances of Jazz in my life. Two for certain were Chick Corea and others I cannot recall at this moment at a outdoor festival in Sedona, Arizona in the late 90's and then in a small club setting in the same time frame Mose Allison. Just a small question to myself. Why?

I did a search online and round out more about the festival. It was 1999 and is called Jazz On The Rocks. Along with Chick Corea I saw Marlena Shaw, David Sanborn and Poncho Sanchez.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    jay.dee, Robitjazz and Mike6565 like this.
  4. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

5. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

Just finished
    Herbie Hancock - Speak like a Child
    [​IMG]

6. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

One from last night
    New BN
    Freddie Hubbard - Ready for Freddie
    [​IMG]

7. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

John Coltrane Quartet - Living Space

[​IMG]

I've always had a soft spot for the recordings on this album. Hits that sweet spot when the Quartet were just riding that line between their earlier sound and the freer music to come. Some of the best Quartet stuff, IMO.

8. Taylor VanRoekel

Taylor VanRoekel Forum Resident

Good morning everyone. Dropped my partner off early at the airport, so i'm warming up to the day with a nice set that i'd like to share with you.

First up

The Paul Desmond Quartet – Live
    Label: Horizon (3) – Horizon 10, A&M Records – SP-850
    Format:
    2 x Vinyl, LP, Album
    Released: 1976

[​IMG]

Someone posted the Mosaic set of the complete sessions here recently, but this is the more readily available 2LP set that you gotta have. One Don Thompson on bass, Ed Bickert on guitar, Jerry Fuller on drums. As the liner notes articulate, describing Desmond as the most lyrical alto plater ever is cliched, but if ever you needed a reminder, take this steller set recorded at Bourbon Street in Toronto. This smolders with a gently bossa nova groove throughout and only remotely edges out on the very last track, which happens to be the meanest version of Take Five that i've ever heard. Don Thompson takes a few athletic Tool-esque booming solos that settle down into Paul Desmond's classic phrase from the hit. Back cover complete with the creepiest photo of Desmond ever. Can't go wrong with Desmond playing alongside any guitarist.

[​IMG]

NP:

Shelly Manne / Bill Evans With Monty Budwig – Empathy
    Label: Analogue Productions – AP-8497, Verve Records – V6-8497, Universal Music Special Markets – B0018173-01
    Series: Verve Reissues, Contemporary Music (5)
    Format:
    2 x Vinyl, 12", 45 RPM, Limited Edition, Numbered, Remastered, Stereo, 200g, Gatefold
    Released: 2013

[​IMG]

Speaking of cool bass players, Monty Budwig. Two things drew me to this recording aside from the obvious. First, the cover, and then the rhythm section. I love all the Live at the Blackhawk recordings that Shelly Manne did, on which Budwig is also a star. This record puts Evans on the left directly across from Shelly in your stereo imaging with Budwig holding down the center. beautiful trio play. Manne leaves lots of space, and I love the way the sound of his brushes comes through. Sonically, this AP pressing is ASMR especially with the way it showcases Shelly's work. At 45 rpm, it is a bit of a workout to listen to. Short sides, w.e... Empathy synonymous for jazz

Stu02, Irish51, bluemooze and 11 others like this.
  9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Desmond Toronto Mosaic is also readily available:

Paul Desmond - The Complete 1975 Toronto Recordings (7 CDs) Mosaic Records

[​IMG]

Bradd, bluemooze, KCLizard and 4 others like this.
  10. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Gerry Mulligan: In California #1

[​IMG]

11. Taylor VanRoekel

Taylor VanRoekel Forum Resident

Getting read to head out for work now:

Lester Young / Coleman Hawkins – Classic Tenors
    Label: Flying Dutchman – FD-10146
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Compilation
    Released: 1971
    Genre: Jazz
    Style: Swing

[​IMG]

"Historical" recordings from the mid 40's here. A side dedicated to each artist listed. Nat Hentoff describes these documents as "experiences" rather than simply relics. Nicely cleaned up audio, too. Hard swinging, classic playing from two of the greatest tenormen ever. I first fell in love with Lester Young as a foil for Billie Holliday. Good music for heading out into the world. Giving the cat some love before leaving the apartment.

12. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Gerry Mulligan At Pleyel #1

[​IMG]

Irish51, Bradd, bluemooze and 6 others like this.
  13. almost unison

almost unison Forum Resident

WP: Paul Barbarin - CD2 of The Atlantic New Orleans Jazz Sessions (4CD, Mosaic, 1998)
    NP: Anthony Braxton - CD2 of Creative Orchestra (Köln) 1978 (2CD, hatART, 1995)

One of the musical detours that the good people at Mosaic inspired me to take, was buying a cheap copy of The Atlantic New Orleans Jazz Sessions. Before I had bought it, George Lewis was the only familiar name on the whole set. I don't turn to the collection very often but when I do I really enjoy the exuberant group playing.

When listening to the Barbarin sessions, I was reminded of the finale of Braxtons 1878 Creative Orchestra recording: an energetic march that harks back to earlier marching band music (and is deconstructed along the way in a true Braxtonian fashion). Listening to music preceding this finale, I feel the whole Creative Orchestra project shares its spirit of collective improvisation with the traditional styles of the New Orleans Jazz sessions.

[​IMG]

Stu02, SeeDubs, lschwart and 9 others like this.
  14. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

WP: Krononaut - Krononaut [Tak:til GBCD 096] FLAC
    [​IMG]
    From 2020 with Leo Abrahams: guitar; Tim Harries: bass; Shahzad Ismaily: bass; Arve Henriksen: trumpet; Matana Roberts: sax; Martin France: drums.

NP: Olli Hirvonen - New Helsinki [Edition EDN1087] CD
    [​IMG]
    From 2017 with Olli Hirvonen: electric guitar; Adam O'Farrill: trumpet; Walter Smith III: tenor sax; Luke Marantz: piano and electric piano; Marty Kenney: bass; Nathan Ellman-Bell: drums.

15. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Ok this is mostly jazz even though the song highlighted is R&B

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  16. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Pat Metheny Bright Size Life (ECM, UCGU-9061), SHM-SACD.

17. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Black is back in my house...

Today - Calvin Keys

[​IMG]

18. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Ronald Shannon Jackson and The Decoding Society Barbeque Dog (Antilles)

lschwart, bluemooze, jay.dee and 5 others like this.
  19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I remember that Sedona concert advertised. I had thought about trying to make the trek but it would have cost a lot more for travel, room, etc over the tickets so I decided to skip it. A beautiful setting no doubt but I surmised that the hotel rooms in the area were already booked and didn’t want to stay in Phoenix.

NP Red Garland - Rediscovered Masters (Prestige) 70s twofer
    This is just about as good as anything Red released.

bluemooze and Noonie like this.
  20. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

NP: Denny Zeitlin - Expansion [1750 Arch Records 1758] LP
    [​IMG]
    From 1973 with Denny Zeitlin: piano, electric piano, clavinet, organ, melodica, Arp synthesizer, electronics, Idiophone, tambourine; Mel Grave: bass, electric bass; George Marsh: drums and percussion.

I no longer have an LP playback system set up so I'm listening to a needle-drop I made years ago from the LP. Haven't listened to this album in a while and hearing it now, it's better than I remembered it. Someone needs to reissue Zeitlin's 1750 Arch releases on CD and/or digital. I think they are the only segment of his long career that hasn't received proper reissues.

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It helps to live close to a jazz venue and to not have responsibilities for children. Most parents just do not get out of the house very much for at least 16 years.

If you live long enough to not have family responsibilities, it helps to be able to stay awake past 10PM and to have good enough night vision to get yourself home.

Then if you are in that category where all evening entertainment should or must be with your spouse, it helps if your spouse can stay awake and also enjoy the music.

These factors all cut down on audience size at jazz performances. COVID affected the young and carefree audience size. The rest found it hard to get out even before COVID.

jay.dee, Starwanderer, Noonie and 3 others like this.
  22. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Didn't realize they made SHM-SACDs

23. [​IMG]
    El Corazón DON CHERRY | ED BLACKWELL (ECM) CD

Drums, Wood Drum, Cowbell – Ed Blackwell

Trumpet [Pocket Trumpet], Piano, Melodica, Organ, Xalam [Doussn' Gouni] – Don Cherry

Digital recording February 1982 at Tonstudio Bauer, Ludwigsburg

[​IMG]

"The melodies come from Spain, Africa, Jamaica and the modern jazz compositions of Thelonious Monk, but Mr Cherry and Mr Blackwell transform them into a personal music that is as urbane and international as they are".

* Every time I hear the track Roland Alphonso it brings to mind the music and playing of melodica man Augustus Pablo.

Aggie87, Stu02, SeeDubs and 11 others like this.
  24. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Oscar Peterson - Exclusively For My Friends

[​IMG]

25. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

Miles Smiles

[​IMG]

when I think about my favorite album of all time, this is usually the answer.

JakeM, SeeDubs, Jackie P and 18 others like this.