Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

My two favorite Sarah Vaughan Mercury LPs, both on one cd of a Verve Select box set. First up is "Live at the London House," which is her trio with several horns featured.

[​IMG]

The famous "No Count Sarah," which has Sarah fronting the Basie Orchestra with her accompanist Ronnell Bright in the piano seat.

[​IMG]

From this box set
    [​IMG]

Followed by
    I'm finally reunited with a disc I lost track of, now have another copy, Erroll Garner "1944"

[​IMG]

Among my favorite Garner recordings, these early performances recorded at the apartment of Timme Rosenkrantz are enchanting.

2. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

3. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

4. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Well, you may not have lived in a jazz hub. I've gotten to see a lot of live jazz in my life because I've spent my whole life in metro NYC and with jazz clubs left and right and jazz musicians living next door. In the summer things kind of clear out (or used to pre COVID), when there was a thriving jazz festival circuit for some folks to go out and play. But if you're not in a big city or even if you are in a big city but not a big city with a lot of jazz venues, the opportunities to see live jazz performances, at least of the big names in the field, can be pretty scarce. It's one of the many reasons I've never wanted to leave here.

5. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

Just finished listening to:

Yazz Ahmed - La Saboteuse [Naim Records] FLAC
    [​IMG]
    From 2017 with Yazz Ahmed: trumpet, flugelhorn, quarter-tone flugelhorn; Noel Langley: trumpet [additional trumpet ensemble parts] (track 6); Shabaka Hutchings: bass clarinet (tracks: 2, 5, 9, 10, 12); Naadia Sheriff: Fender Rhodes, Wurlitzer (tracks: 2, 9, 10, 12); Guitar – Samuel Hällkvist: guitar (tracks: 2, 6, 10); Dave Manington: bass guitar (tracks: 4, 5, 8, 9); Dudley Phillips: bass guitar (tracks: 2, 9, 10, 12); Lewis Wright: vibraphone (tracks: 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13); Martin France: drums (tracks: 2, 9, 10, 12); Corrina Silvester: percussion (tracks: 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12).

6. Noonie

Noonie Exploring music is a gift

NP Introducing Johnny Griffin
    BN 1533 LP, Mono, Reissue, 180g

When I first started listening to jazz it was trio's, as I was interested in the piano and somehow (I can't recall) started exploring jazz. After I dipped my toe into trio's I moved onto 4-6 piece groups and really took to the sax. Recently I've enjoyed sessions where the trumpet is a focus (like the Lee Morgan Lighthouse box, not to say that is all about trumpet), but I do enjoy a nicely balanced 4-piece personnel with the sax, and this one is really enjoyable. I really like the audio on this LP...I'm listening through headphones and the bass playing of Curly Russell comes through very balanced, and Max on drums is 'full' and lively. Johnny's blowing on 'Nice and Easy' is my favourite on the album.

I've had a really hectic last 7 days with work and other things, so I'm enjoying sitting down and listening to a record (it has been days!). Nice to catch up on the forum as well.

7. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

8. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Ruth Price With Shelly Manne And His Men At The Manne-Hole (Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-1770-2)

Finally got my hand on this one. One of the very few Contemporary Records CD I did not own or even listened too.

The album was recorded March 3rd to 5th 1961 at The Manne-Hole, the same date Contemporary recorded The Men (Shelly Manne And His Men Live At The Manne-Hole).

Great recording, great band and a beautiful singer. Twelve tracks, all standards.

[​IMG]

Stu02, Irish51, JazzFanatic and 8 others like this.
  9. dennis the menace

John Coltrane - Living Space (Impulse! IMPD-246)

Could be considered the companion album of Transition, Living Space is a compilation of tracks coming from the last two sessions before Ascension.

Five tracks, two from June 10th 1965 (Untitled 90314 and The Last Blues) and three from the June 16th session (Living Space, Dusk-Dawn and Untitled 90320). All recorded with The Quartet.

Eventually released Spring 1998.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  10. Adagio

Adagio Forum Resident

Ray Cole likes this.
  11. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Brad Mehldau Trio, Place Massena, Nice France 7/15/2021. FM broadcast with great sound. Jeff Ballard on drums, Larry Grenadier on bass. BMs French is better than mine, this trio may be knocking on the "Trio Legends of Jazz" door, almost blood-borne simpatico as each listens to the others. World Class Piano Trio Jazz Music!!

12. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

13. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

dennis the menace likes this.
  14. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Truly there are not that many opportunities here even in the size of metro area of Phoenix. At least not that I am aware of.

15. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Now playing: Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Free For All. A very good way of keeping yourself awake.

Art Blakey – drums
    Freddie Hubbard – trumpet
    Curtis Fuller – trombone
    Wayne Shorter – tenor saxophone
    Cedar Walton – piano
    Reggie Workman – bass

[​IMG]

16. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

It's a shame, but I'm not surprised. Outside of the jazz capitals, it seems like often the best you can do are summer jazz festivals, which increasing feature a lot of music other than jazz, though I'm sure there are always local musicians who may not have big national reputations.

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In the Northeast, small cities have long enjoyed live jazz, mostly because they are all within a reasonable touring circuit or even a short day trip from the artist's home.

But, I think the number of jazz venues started seriously declining well before COVID.

College workshop/live recital opportunities still support live jazz. There again, the Northeast has more opportunities, because it seems like there is at least one college every 50 miles, sometimes many more!

Cold Trane, Sorcerer and Ray Cole like this.
  18. dennis the menace

Joe Henderson - Mirror Mirror (MPS Records 0209734MSW)

Very nice session recorded January 1980 that shows Henderson backed up by Chick Corea, Ron Carter and Billy Higgins.

[​IMG]

Stu02, GyroT, Jackie P and 9 others like this.
  19. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Branford Marsalis Quartet, Vienna Austria, 6/20/87. The late Kenny Kirkland on piano, FM source. VG sound, extraordinary playing from talented musicians.

20. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

My favorite Blakey album.

eeglug likes this.
  21. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Hardly a news flash - I guess you haven’t been paying attention.

Nonetheless - I buy some things from Amazon including some music.

I also support many independent music retailers and labels by buying from them - and have done now for 30+ years.

This particular cd I commented on was far too expensive from those sources in my opinion. I don’t mind paying quite a bit more for some titles to support the little guys and gals but not double or more.

Ergo the Amazon buy.

I can still sleep ok despite that.

YMMV.

Cheers.

Maltman, jay.dee, Irish51 and 5 others like this.
  22. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

My favorite Blakey album also, hands down.

eeglug likes this.
  23. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I’ve always found this one to be a little underwhelming given what the lineup promises. Just seems flat somehow. But even middling Joe is worth a listen or two.

dennis the menace and Erik B. like this.
  24. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

My experience of jazz fan in NYC as a tourist was really amazing. The iconic outdoor venues like Washington Square Park, Central Park, offer interesting listenings. I recall a pianoless quartet with two saxophonists, much Coleman oriented and a fabolous gospel choir, even a doo bop group in Metro and a party on Sunday made by a local church located very close to Cooper Hewitt Museum with a fabolous post bop quintet featuring a frontline with trombone and saxophones playing at 12 A.M. not considering the great jazz clubs of the city.
    I enjoyed all that very well. It's obvious that my perspective of European tourist that lives in a country, not Milan or Rome, is particular, and one tends to overrate his own experience, but even just about three weeks in NYC in two trips are very educational for jazz and other things. Unfortunately, I have not seen Esperanza Spaulding playing live at Cooper Hewitt Museum, but that evening I went to Smalls. :agree:

jay.dee, Stu02, frightwigwam and 3 others like this.
  25. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Yogi Berra explains Jazz

Interviewer: Can you explain jazz?

Yogi: I can't, but I will. 90% of all jazz is half improvisation. The other half is the part people play while others are playing something they never played with anyone who played that part. So if you play the wrong part, its right. If you play the right part, it might be right if you play it wrong enough. But if you play it too right, it's wrong.

Interviewer: I don't understand.

Yogi: Anyone who understands jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it.

Interviewer: Do you understand it?

Yogi: No. That's why I can explain it. If I understood it, I wouldn't know anything about it.

Interviewer: Are there any great jazz players alive today?

Yogi: No. All the great jazz players alive today are dead. Except for the ones that are still alive. But so many of them are dead, that the ones that are still alive are dying to be like the ones that are dead. Some would kill for it.

Interviewer: What is syncopation?

Yogi: That's when the note that you should hear now happens either before or after you hear it. In jazz, you don't hear notes when they happen because that would be some other type of music. Other types of music can be jazz, but only if they're the same as something different from those other kinds.

Interviewer: Now I really don't understand.

Yogi: I haven't taught you enough for you to not understand jazz that well.

Ingres3225, jay.dee, Tribute and 11 others like this.