Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to CD 29 from "George Szell - The Complete Columbia Album Collection" on Sony.

Dvorak - Symphony No. 4 Op. 88 with the Cleveland Orchestra

[​IMG]

Wes H, TonyACT, Jamsterdammer and 5 others like this.
  2. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

First listen in a long while. Barring the Brandenburg Concertos, I tend to unjustly neglect Bach's non-keyboard works.

[​IMG]

JS Bach - Violin Concertos BWV 1041-1043 - Pinnock/English Concert, Simon Standage (1041-1043), Elizabeth Wilcock (1043)

Mine is from the cheapo purple collector's edition, but the original art is much more interesting. I really need to pick up the cello suites, which are a glaring gap in my collection.

3. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

It must be neglected clamshell collector's edition day. Some early Beethoven now:

[​IMG]

Beethoven - Piano Sonatas Nos. 1 - 3 - Vladimir Ashkenazy

I've said it before, but I love the 10 second pre-gaps between pieces on this set. I have no idea why it's not done more often, it prevents the accidental-suite problem without you needing to program the CD player.

Runicen, bluemooze, TonyACT and 4 others like this.
  4. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I am still in the 70s section of the boat anchor Karajan box. I am enjoying pretty much every minute of my listening voyage.

Runicen, TonyACT and jɑmbo like this.
  5. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Number 9. Warhorse Wednesday! Schubert/Harnoncourt/RCO.

[​IMG]

Martinu, florandia, Mike6565 and 9 others like this.
  6. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Speaking of the Karajan 70s recordings-here is another one I am playing this morning. A very interesting list of works by various composers. Invitation to the Dance, The Damnation of Faust, Mephisto Waltz, The Bartered Bride and Scherzo Capriccioso. [​IMG]

7. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Someone was listening to this collection the other day, so I was prompted to break it out...

Mahler: Symphonies (various, starting with #5)
    Frankfurt RSO & Eliahu Inbal
    Denon

Really great early digital sound. A lot better than what most other labels were putting out at that time. A solid set, Inbal's interpretations may not be the most exciting out there, but he's consistently good across the board.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  8. peter1

peter1 Now things are looking up!

Now playing Chopin’s Prelude in E Minor by the Gerry Mulligan Sextet, with the leader on baritone sax, Art Farmer on fluegelhorn, Bob Brookmeyer on valve trombone, Jim Hall on guitar, Bill Crow on bass, and Dave Bailey on drums. This is Chopin to a gentle bossa nova beat.

[​IMG]

9. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Had to dig through my archive stacks, and found some old friends! The great John Lewis, here playing Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier. Timeless!

[​IMG]

10. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing: Johannes Brahms - Sonatas for Clarinet & Piano, Op. 120, Nos. 1 & 2 - Gervase de Peyer, Gwenneth Pryor - recorded 1982-83

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

florandia, ibanez_ax, layman and 7 others like this.
  11. Jamsterdammer

Now playing: Georg Philipp Telemann - Twelve Fantasias for Transverse Flute without Bass - Barthold Kuijken - recorded 1978

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mike6565, bluemooze, CMT and 2 others like this.
  12. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I think that might have been me, I've been really digging this cycle recently :righton:

HiResGeek and TonyACT like this.
  13. Jamsterdammer

Now playing:
    George Frideric Handel - Organ Concertos HWV 295 'The Cuckoo And The Nightingale'; HWV 296 & 304 - The English Concert, Simon Preston, Trevor Kinnock - recorded 1983

From this set:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Have been busy so not much time to post, and been dipping back into popular music lately. I did pay my tributes to Mr. Haitink this week though and played some Philips recordings: Bruckner No. 7, Debussy Images for Orchestra and a very underrated version of The Scheherazade that I highly recommend to the unfamiliar
    [​IMG]

15. Jamsterdammer

Now playing: Nikolai Medtner - Piano Concerto No. 1; Piano Quintet - Dmitri Alexeev, BBC SO, Alexander Lazarev, New Budapest Quartet - recorded 1994

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. John S

John S Forum Resident

Dug out an old friend tonight. Impeccably played and is a Red Book sonic wonder:
    Jacques Loussier
    Plays Bach

The Presto of the Italian Concerto fab man.

[​IMG]

17. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: A German release

Sibelius / Concertgebouw-Orchester, Amsterdam / George Szell / Eduard Van Beinum – Symphonie Nr. 2 D-Dur Op. 43 Und Finlandia Op. 26
    Philips – 411 396-1

[​IMG]

ibanez_ax, J.A.W., Mike6565 and 6 others like this.
  18. Jamsterdammer

Now playing: Tōru Takemitsu - Between Tides; Landscape I; Distance De Fee; Rocking Mirror Daybreak; Hika; A Way A Lone - Ensemble KAÏ - recorded 1998

[​IMG]

19. John S

John S Forum Resident

Frederick Fennell
    Cleveland Symphonic Winds

Holst:
    First Suite op. 28 no, 1
    Second Suite op. 28 no. 2

Bach:
    Fantasia in G
    Handel;
    Music for the Royal Fireworks
    (1978)

[​IMG]

Mike6565, bluemooze, TonyACT and 2 others like this.
  20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Columbia M 31520, issued 1972. Recorded 4/7/72, Abbey Road Studio No. 1, London. Producer: John McClure. Engineer: Robert Gooch (EMI). Stereo remix: Don Puluse, a Columbia engineer in NYC who mostly worked on pop & rock recordings. I assume he probably worked from 8-track session tapes. I prefer Bernstein's earlier recording of the Rite with the New York Philharmonic.

21. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

I thought the Sibelius 2 OK, but not exciting, but this is a really nice Finlandia.

TonyACT likes this.
  22. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Always love these suites, and great performances from Bernstein and New York.

Bizet: Carmen Suite No. 1
    Bizet: Carmen Suite No. 2
    Bizet: L'Arlésienne Suite No. 1
    Bizet: L'Arlésienne Suite No. 2

Leonard Bernstein
    New York Philharmonic

[​IMG]

23. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

NP:

Bruckner
    Symphony No. 6 in A major, WAB 106
    Concertgebouw
    Chailly

[​IMG]

24. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Back at the jauntily sloping desk in my father-in-law's office for a few days work. My CD collection is 120 miles away, meaning I'm limited to what I have on my iPhone - which is entirely non-classical, except for the Festetics Quartet's full Haydn cycle.

[​IMG]

Joseph Haydn - String Quartets Op. 20 "Sun" - Quatuor Festetics

I think my next phone will have double the capacity and thus be able to accommodate my classical library too. But tagging ripped classical is such a nightmare, so I'll probably still only put a few favourites on there.

25. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Early night tonight, so spinning what must be a contender for shortest CD in my collection, from Living Stereo Volume Two:

[​IMG]

I always seem to forget how entertaining this symphony is.

It's a shorter than usual CD as it was originally part of a 2 LP set with the ninth, which is CD 40 in this box.

ibanez_ax, Jamsterdammer, CMT and 5 others like this.