Free YouTube Movies Worth Watching

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by NickySee, Jul 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident Thread Starter

Good write-up. Thought I'd paste it here to go alongside the pretty copy I found recently -

[​IMG]
    Odds Against Tomorrow (1959, Robert Wise)
    Good hodge-podge of a New York heist film.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  2. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Hosted by Leonard Nimoy on ancient history:

NickySee likes this.
  3. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I believe I saw this Hammer film on the Chicago hosted horror channel: Svengoolie:

NickySee likes this.
  4. NickySee

[​IMG]
    The Lineup (1958, Don Siegel) 7.3 IMDb Rating
    In San Francisco, a psychopathic gangster and his mentor retrieve heroin packages carried by unsuspecting travelers.
    New to me. But you can't go wrong with the Siegel/Wallach combo. And I love pre-60s Bay area location shooting. Nice copy.

5. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Dogma (1999, Kevin Smith) 7.3 IMDb Rating
    An abortion clinic worker with a special heritage is called upon to save the existence of humanity from being negated by two renegade angels trying to exploit a loop-hole and reenter Heaven.
    I had forgotten that it was the abortion issue that spurred all the ruckus. Mostly I remembered liking George Carlin and Alanis Morissette. :D Time for a revisit, obviously.

TurtleIsland likes this.
  6. TurtleIsland

TurtleIsland Forum Resident

7. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Hand Of Death (1962) w/John Agar
    Cool little horror flick considered lost once. Cameos by a former Stooge & a future Munster.

Morpheus and NickySee like this.
  8. NickySee

[​IMG]
    On Golden Pond (1981, Mark Rydell)
    Reunion of aging parents and divorced daughter who brings her adopted son to stay with them for the summer. Finally watching after years avoiding it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    Morpheus likes this.
  9. NickySee

This was a hoot. Thanks.

Morpheus and TurtleIsland like this.
  10. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I've seen this one, it's a good crime movie.

NickySee likes this.
  11. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Gothic drama in which Vincent Price exacts tribute from tenant farmers on his vast estate (the year is 1844). Van Ryn has a wife and daughter whom he dislikes, and his pet anathema is his failure to have a son to carry on the baronial tradition. When a distant relative is invited to be governess to the child, and he falls in love with her, he poisons his wife, thus leaving him free to marry the other girl. Gene Tierney plays the governess and it is one of her most sympathetical roles.

Karnak, NickySee and Pete Puma like this.
  12. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Meet John Doe--Frank Capra directs. Stanwyck causes a sensation with an invented newspaper story about a tramp promising to kill himself to protest at the state of the world - and then she auditions plain-speaking hick Gary Cooper for the part. His goodwill campaign takes the nation by storm, but proves ripe for political manipulation.

NickySee and Matt Richardson like this.
  13. NickySee

Didn't Joe Mankiewicz direct this? Enough for my vote. :-popcorn:

14. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident

15. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

He did indeed.

Based on the novel A Convict Has Escaped by Jackson Budd – I suspect the film’s title change was meant to evoke the classic 1932 Paul Muni film I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang, also about an unjustly accused man – They Made Me a Fugitive played in the U.S, under yet another (weak) title, I Became a Criminal. After being framed for a policeman's murder, a criminal escapes prison and sets out for revenge. Directed by Otto Heller.

NickySee likes this.
  16. NickySee

:righton: Classic I've been meaning to watch. Queued. Thanks!

17. NickySee

[​IMG]
    The Martian Chronicles (1980, Michael Anderson)
    Ray Bradbury adaptation in the form of an American televsion mini-series. In the 21st century, Earth begins the colonization of Mars. However, things do not go as planned, at first due to the hostile Martian natives and later because of the self-destructive Earthmen.
    Rock Hudson leads the cast in this 3 parter which I hope will stay up long enough for me to get through them. Good looking copies.

Crimson Witch and Morpheus like this.
  18. NickySee

Chuck Fries, one of the chief producers, talks about the project -

Crimson Witch likes this.
  19. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Re: The Martian Chronicles--lovin' the poster.

Crimson Witch and NickySee like this.
  20. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

21. NickySee

[​IMG]

Wings of Desire (1987, Wim Wenders)
    An angel tires of his purely ethereal life of merely overseeing the human activity of Berlin's residents, and longs for the tangible joys of physical existence when he falls in love with a mortal.
    Haven’t watched this in ages. Classic.

Morpheus likes this.
  22. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Departures (2008, Yôjirô Takita)
    A newly unemployed cellist takes a job preparing the dead for funerals.
    In terms of theme the film is reminiscent of Berlanga's The Executioner, where a young, reluctant but out-of-work dude has to be almost tricked into becoming an apprentice, then practitioner of a new craft and grows up in the interim. I stumbled into watching this one at a NYC cinema one rainy afternoon back in '08. Glad I did. Good one.

Morpheus likes this.
  23. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I've seen Wings of Desire before probably on the TCM channel when I had it years ago. I didn't totally understand what was going on at the time, but got enough of it to enjoy it. Thanks.

I watched Storm Fear last night and overall pretty good. I'd never heard of it, and although has some questionable acting, gets a bit melodramatic in some scenes, etc., I enjoyed the film. It's about a family that live out in the country who are visited upon by three visitors who have just robbed a bank. As the story unfolds you learn more about them. I enjoyed the little boy actor in the film as well. Looked like an early role with Dennis Weaver too.

NickySee and ognirats like this.
  24. ognirats

ognirats haruhist

Television shows better films imo

25. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Well, I'd disagree with that assessment here in the states. Our TV tends to show the same films over and over, and in recent years, they hardly show any older films earlier than the 90s. Most of the films are like Capt. American, Avengers, Spider-man, etc. Which is odd because b/c that used to be the stuff you'd pay to see on Netflix. You maybe referring to network TV series over films. But I'd disagree there as well as very few series captures my attention. To each their own.

NickySee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.