What have you learned / gained from the Steve Hoffman Forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Durango88, Aug 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

Some Australians on this board are very haughty about their culture and their slang.:whistle:

joy stinson likes this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Why wouldn't a person in a country all the way across the planet from you, not be proud of their culture and their slang? They are talking to people who may have never encountered their way of life. We have to respect that, and give the benefit of the doubt.

ps - I grew up right across the border from Illinois. I can guarantee you...the rest of the world is not necessarily like us.

Lost In The Flood and KAJ1971 like this.
  3. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

There's no accounting for taste?

4. Dillydipper

HEY! :cussing: GET BACK HERE-!

;)

joy stinson and parman like this.
  5. Randall DeBouvre

qUOTE="Dillydipper, post: 28066505, member: 6720"]Why wouldn't a person in a country all the way across the planet from you, not be proud of their culture and their slang? They are talking to people who may have never encountered their way of life. We have to respect that, and give the benefit of the doubt.

ps - I grew up right across the border from Illinois. I can guarantee you...the rest of the world is not necessarily like us.[/QUOTE]
    I am just talking about some Australian people on this board. When I discussed Australian slang, a few Aussies gave me very high - toned and condescending answers. This is the first time that happened.
    There also two Aussie on the board that are always putting down Americans and American culture. Most of that criticism is basically trolling and thread crapping. One of them shut down a thread about American slang with his trolling; and not to sound paranoid, I think that was intention.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  6. Dillydipper

Oh, I had an entire town in Australia come after me one night, a few years ago, all at once. It seemed as if Perth itself was rising up against me. To be fair, I probably earned it (but I'll never admit it in a court of law! ;) )...

Oddly enough, I seem to be on good footing with Mark Winstanley, the curator of our excellent "Surrounded On Sundays" resource...who is a Perth expatriate, now in The States. I probably haven't earned that, but...grateful...:shrug:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    joy stinson likes this.
  7. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

An endless amount of useful information from excellent posters and contributors.

8. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

"We'll save Australia/ don't want to hurt no kangaroo/ we'll build American amusement parks there/ they got surfing too!"

9. Randall DeBouvre

yeah, I have to agree that over all I learned quite a bit from the people on this board.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    joy stinson and nicotinecaffeine like this.
  10. Randall DeBouvre

I was never drunk, but I was mad and distracted. I regret posting when I was mad. I won't do that again.

Larry Mc likes this.
  11. Randall DeBouvre

I am just talking about some Australian people on this board. When I discussed Australian slang, a few Aussies gave me very high - toned and condescending answers. This is the first time that happened.
    There also two Aussie on the board that are always putting down Americans and American culture. Most of that criticism is basically trolling and thread crapping. One of them shut down a thread about American slang with his trolling; and not to sound paranoid, I think that was his intention.[/QUOTE]

12. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

I’ve learned so much from the folks on this board after being a Velvet Rope exile. Thank you for letting me be a part of this community and sharing your knowledge and opinions. I’ve learned a ton of stuff, and hope I’ve been able to impart some info as well.

The first thing to stand out for me: the intense appreciation on this board for The Monkees, The Kinks, and Iron Maiden. Three bands that seemingly have nothing in common, except many of us love them.

The second: this is the only place where I feel I can get thoughts and discourse on anything regarding recorded music, no matter how obscure it might seem.

I’m on this board every day. And every day I learn something new.

13. Jeff W. Richman

Jeff W. Richman The Richman Curse www.soundclick.com/qoquaq

The difference between the music people hate and the music they love is often negligible.

joy stinson likes this.
  14. Roland Stoves

Roland Stoves 3.9% Neanderthal

Same thing that I've learned from decades of being married. That I don't know quite as much as I think I do.

15. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

That opinions are like arseholes.

Randall DeBouvre and Sean like this.
  16. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

I appreciated The Beatles more.

joy stinson likes this.
  17. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Fullbug and Sean like this.
  18. Freddy Steady

Freddy Steady Forum Resident

That I’m deaf.

19. Believe it or not I learned of the existence of vocaloids on this forum. Someone posted a youtube clip. I think it was "Sweet Devil" performed by the lovely and talented Hatsune Miku:

The poster had some disparaging things to say about Miku but that's OK. I had never seen a vocaloid before and this intro was the start of a big positive change in my musical life.

joy stinson and Randall DeBouvre like this.
  20. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

I've learned that it's pretty lively here!

joy stinson and Randall DeBouvre like this.
  21. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

1. A wealth of music I did not know or maybe did not understand previously
    2. The value of mastering, dynamic range etc that can enhance your appreciation for a particular album

22. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Everyone else's stinks?

joy stinson likes this.
  23. Randall DeBouvre

There also ARE two Aussie on the board that are always putting down Americans and American culture. Most of that criticism is basically trolling and thread crapping. One of them shut down a thread about American slang with his trolling; and not to sound paranoid, I think that was intention.[/QUOTE]

24. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

^ you still not got over that? smh
    *sticks poster back on ignore*

Zeki likes this.
  25. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

two words: mono switch

joy stinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.