Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. SeeDubs

SeeDubs Forum Resident

Braxton's Creative Orchestra also has a George Lewis -- this one on trombone.

almost unison likes this.
  2. Noonie

Noonie Exploring music is a gift

NP Clifford Brown and Max Roach - Daahoud
    Mainstream Records, 1972 release, LP, Mono

I got this record used at a local store for a good deal (maybe $10Cad). After buying some records recently, and then the CD box set of Lee Morgan at the Lighthouse, I decided to take it easy for a while. Then I read the posts above about this CD and that one, labels I'm unfamiliar with, and now I want to hit up all the shops and see what they have in terms of CD's I may have looked over. Maybe I'll head downtown Toronto one weekend, before the crowds, and do just this! Anyway, this is a decent album, pretty easy going with standout performances by, you guessed it, Clifford and Max.

3. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

John Coltrane - Ascension (Impulse! UCCI-9345)

Trane's next studio session took place June 28th 1965. In addition to the members of The Quartet, seven other musicians were there for the recording of Ascension.

Ascension
    is the album that placed Coltrane firmly into the avant-garde. Recorded with three tenors (Trane, Pharoa Sanders, Archie Shepp), two altos (Marion Brown, John Tchicai), two trumpets ( Freddie Hubbard, Dewey Johnson), two bass players (Art Davis, Jimmy Garrison) plus McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones. It marked a will to explore much further with different settings, away from the usual Quartet.

Two takes of Ascension were made that day, both at around forty minutes each. Let's just say that John Coltrane's music would never be the same after this.

Fascinating listen. Not always easy but always interesting. I'm with @Sorcerer on this one, last year's UHQCD sounds exquisite.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  4. dennis the menace

Lee Konitz - Duets (Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-946-2)

Recorded in New-York September 25th 1967. Following @Berthold exploration of Lee Konitz today, I felt the need to get this great album out.

[​IMG]

Irish51, SeeDubs, jonwoody and 12 others like this.
  5. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Tom Harrell - Light On
    https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71pnQTcybhL._SS500_.jpg

Tom Harrell really seems to have a knack for making accessible, even safe sounding jazz that still holds interest and reveals additional depth upon repeated listenings. This album of all originals composed by Harrell himself puts that phenomenon on full display. Harrell spends most of his time giving us his gorgeously smooth brass tone, but when appropriate lets those valves rip. The most aggressive solos generally come from tenor Wayne Escoffery. Danny Grissett gives us good variety playing well on both acoustic and electric keys. And there are times drummer Johnathan Blake really grabs you. This is a very solid mainstream-ish but contemporary outing.

6. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Somehow, I was never able to appreciate this album.

7. dennis the menace

Horace Parlan - Happy Frame Of Mind (Blue Note CDP-7 84134 2)

Last one for this evening...one of my favorite album from Horace Parlan. Recorded early 1963 with a stellar band of Johnny Coles, Booker Ervin, Grant Green, Butch Warren and Billy Higgins.

One of the best sounding early Ron McMaster Blue Note's CD.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    Jackie P, Mark J, Irish51 and 15 others like this.
  8. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

Currently I'm checking out a few tracks from James Brandon Lewis's Code of Being album on YouTube. This album was mentioned upthread a bit and piqued my interest. His big tone reminds me a bit of Ernie Watts. I like what I'm hearing so far.

9. GregM

GregM The expanding man

10. Taylor VanRoekel

Taylor VanRoekel Forum Resident

Good! Not bad at all. From the liner notes, well recorded. Cool choice for a reiusse.

Electric likes this.
  11. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Lars Gullin Swings

[​IMG]

Six String likes this.
  12. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Just beginning to make my way through this one yesterday myself. It didn't quite hit me like Lewis' Jessup Wagon did earlier this year, but I was enjoying it, especially Aruan Ortiz'playing. Haven't had a chance to really sit down and listen though yet.

Rob C, jay.dee and Ray Cole like this.
  13. Berthold

Lars Gullin Baritone Sax

[​IMG]

Six String and dennis the menace like this.
  14. Berthold

Lars Gullin: The 1951-55 Studio Recordings #1

[​IMG]

Six String, Bradd and Stu02 like this.
  15. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

As some of you know I am a fan of duos wherein there is more space for the musicians to move within and the lack of a place to rest or hide also often keeps each player on edge creating tension and excitement. This is such a piece and it has risen steadily over the last couple of years of streaming it. I gave up on getting a physical copy as it was simply unavailable anywhere but then it occurred to my addled brain that maybe Myra had a website herself and sure enough she did.
    [​IMG]
    turns out from her emailing me her personal thank you and also her scrawled post it note thanks that she also heads up her communications and marketing divisions as well as the shipping department!

This is seriously wondrous music.At times
    they seem to have brought space so decidedly into the music that its like a trio with air an equal partner while at other times it is frenetic jagged and anxious. The personalities multifaceted changeable and always shifting unexpectedly. After 2 years of listening I still get caught out and surprised…

If you liked this years release -Some Kind Of Tomorrow by Jane Bloom and Mark Helias -this is for you. Different instrumentation but kindred spirits

j4yheindeo, jonwoody, jay.dee and 8 others like this.
  16. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I just picked this up yesterday. Quelle Coincidence monsieur …

17. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

There are new adds on radio with a humble voice talking about why you should work in their warehouses because they care and its like a family.
    Stomach churning stuff really

DrJ, Noonie, Six String and 1 other person like this.
  18. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Where Fortunes Smile a mini masterpiece of sorts from a McLaughlin/ Surman led band is another great Dawn release

19. Berthold

Lars Gullin: The 1956-60 Studio Recordings #2

[​IMG]

20. Gandra

Gandra Forum Resident

Check out Double Bass by NHOP. One of the best Steeplechase albums ever.

Jackie P likes this.
  21. Gandra

Gandra Forum Resident

Beautiful. Hypnotic. Spiritual

22. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

23. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Switching direction….

[​IMG]

acetboy, SJR, JimSmiley and 2 others like this.
  24. TheNightfly1982

TheNightfly1982 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    A wild, muscular excursion through the hard hop/post bop mind of a pianist who never achieved the legendary status of many of this then contemporaries.

25. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

Keith Jarrett - Fort Yawuh

[​IMG]

The American Quartet (plus a percussionist, obviously. so many percussionists in this band) live at the Village Vanguard

Keith Jarrett - Nude Ants

[​IMG]

The European Quartet live at the Village Vanguard

acetboy, kmusic, peter1 and 8 others like this.