Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

I have a lot of time for the first symphony, and early period Beethoven in general. It's sometimes referred to as "Haydn-esque" in a pejorative manner, but as someone who's a big fan of Haydn, it suits me just fine! I'd take it over the 4th in particular any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

TonyACT likes this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:edthumbs: The best Schubert box out there IMHO ...

ibanez_ax and Mike6565 like this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I actually do not have a single Beethoven Symphony by Reiner ...

TonyACT likes this.
  4. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I've not got a lot of Haydn, but his chamber works are great (actually, I have just got a lot of Haydn in the Orpheus box, but not listened to it much yet). But I'm aware that Beethoven looked up to Haydn as a mentor, so it's no surprise that the early Beethoven owes a lot to him. It's a case of the apprentice becoming mightier than the master. And to quote Isaac Newton "If I saw further, it was by standing on the shoulders of giants"

Mike6565 likes this.
  5. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

CD from the Decca Analogue Years:[​IMG]

6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to CD 2 from new arrival "Chopin - Complete Nocturnes" performed by Alain Planes on Harmonia Mundi.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

Disc 4
    Beethoven’s 7th and 8th
    The 7th is my favorite
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Listening right now to Pachelbel’s Canon performed by Music Antiqua Koln courtesy of Tidal. It’s a album of chamber music of Pachelbel and Buxtehude.

9. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

10. john greenwood

Closest I have is Blues on Bach by the Modern Jazz Quartet.

sherrill50 likes this.
  11. john greenwood

I wonder whether it was ever mixed for quadrophonic.

layman likes this.
  12. john greenwood

Or you could stream . . .:hide:

Scourge likes this.
  13. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

I could, but I prefer to own my own media, to ensure things don't suddenly disappear or get replaced with inferior remasters, although I doubt the latter is such an issue in the classical world. Having physical media is also a big indulgence for me - I've moved around the world twice in the last 15 years, culling my belongings down dramatically both times, so having lots of lovely, impractical CDs feels like such a luxury, even though they're almost all second-hand and cheap as chips. Simply put, they make me happy.

Streaming would be useful for the 10 or so days a year I find myself working away from home, but as I'm otherwise at home with my CDs every day, I can't justify the expense. I also get terrible paralysis when presented with an empty search box, and despite having access to infinite everything, end up paradoxically listening to a smaller range of music, as I can only ever remember a few things. Mind you, a resource like this thread would be a boon for discovery.

no.nine, Wes H, TonyACT and 1 other person like this.
  14. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

NP:

Vaughan Williams
    Two Hymn Preludes
    Northern Sinfonia
    Hickox

[​IMG]

bluemooze, florandia, TonyACT and 4 others like this.
  15. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

NP:

Vaughan Williams
    Symphony No. 8 in D minor
    USSR Ministry of Culture SO
    Rozhdestvensky

[​IMG]

Such a fascinating and well-performed cycle of RVW's symphonies with the exception of A Sea Symphony. I'm sorry but Russians can't sing English too well. Anyway, I love Rozhdestvensky's way with RVW.

16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

It was, issued in 1972 with a quad mix by Larry Keyes. It was issued this year in quad on a hybrid SACD by Dutton.

bluemooze and john greenwood like this.
  17. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Or get yourself a nice dedicated Digital Audio Player. Mine has almost 2TB of music on it, all in lossless or hi-res, and it has a built-in headphone amplifier and balanced output, so it perfectly drives my Sennheiser HD660s. This has been a life-saver for me having moved around the world for the past 35 years.

Runicen and Alexlotl like this.
  18. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    M 31806, issued 1973. This is a reissue of MS 6193, from 1960. Recorded 2/16/60, St. George Hotel, Brooklyn (Peter) & 5/2/60, Manhattan Center, NYC (Nutcracker). Peter is effectively narrated by Bernstein.

bluemooze, florandia and TonyACT like this.
  19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

These might not make me forget about Brahms' Piano Quintet, but they are engaging.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, TonyACT and Jamsterdammer like this.
  20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    M 31830, issued 1973. Reissue of MS 6183 from 1961. Recorded 1/5-6/60, St. George Hotel, Brooklyn. Producer: John McClure. Stravinsky had previously recorded this work for Columbia in 1940 as well as for French Columbia in 1929. One of a small number of classical LPs bought at Phonoluxe here in Nashville.

21. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

I took this box set off the shelf this morning for probably the first time since I bought it 20 years ago. Not sure why I let it sit; while my favorite is still Pinnock's earlier set with the English Concert (1982), the AAMB lays down a fine set of performances, and in a very crowded field, too. Recommended!

[​IMG]

22. Daedalus

Listening to Haitink conducting London Philharmonic “Petrushka”, on my classical music station broadcast. Excellent! They have been exploring Haitink’s recorded legacy in memory of him.

bluemooze and TonyACT like this.
  23. Daedalus

These symphony performances were a very pleasant surprise to me when I discovered them. I did not associate Rozhdestvensky with RVW.

24. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing:
    Arcangelo Corelli - Sonate a violino e violoncello o cimbalo Nos. 1-6, Op. 5 (Rome, 1700), Dedicated to Electress Sophie Charlotte of Brandenburg - Rémy Baudet, Jaap ter Linden, Pieter-Jan Belder - recorded 2004

CD 7 of this set:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

The performance was excellent, I'll listen to his ninth over the weekend.