'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. RS2099

RS2099 Forum Resident

So, apparently, hmv.com had some "Chet Baker Sings" available for purchase 20 hours ago... Why only at this store?

mktracy and uzn007 like this.
  2. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

This is one of my favorite TP releases. Check out the live Trio Music (1982) by the same group if you like this one.

ETSEQ, kt66brooklyn and Crazysteve like this.
  3. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

I'd guess a return in the warehouse as i had a similar experience a month or so ago on hmv.com .. i bought then they refunded after a few weeks saying they didn't know when delivery would be ...

4. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Are you sure about that one? Never gotten a definitive answer in my research.

5. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Kindly could you list your set up as our host has asked for those offering a musical opinion

....plus i'm a fellow vintage Tannoy fan

ubiknik, kt66brooklyn and mktracy like this.
  6. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I might be imagining things, but I think this isn't the first time I'm hearing about this. Someone here or elsewhere said he entered an HMV store and saw a few Chet Baker Sings on the shelves just out of the blue (when they were already long gone ofc).

RS2099 and kt66brooklyn like this.
  7. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I'm not much on fusion jazz anymore as I was in the 70s/80s before I sold off much of what I had then. I kept all my Weather Report (everything up to Heavy Weather) and ECM titles. However, over the weekend my wife and I listened to Herbie Hancock's Headhunters on Qobuz and had fun playing it. It such a classic, but is one I sold off decades ago (and I had a release day pressing). We decided to order the reissue from AP. They were out of the 33 so we went for the 45. It showed up today and I'm playing it now. Damn, it sounds really good. They did a nice job on it.

miq2son, uzn007, CBackley and 10 others like this.
  8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I have been really enjoying George Duke "The Aura Will Prevail" lately. Can't get it out of rotation.....

Harrison, 99khan, Aura and 4 others like this.
  9. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I'm not exactly getting back into fusion. Headhunters is seminal and historic for the genre, but for the most part I still much prefer acoustic jazz and classical above all else. For example, I don't see adding back all my Return To Forever albums, etc. as good as they were (although I've always hung on to and enjoyed the original ECM release).

TBH: I'm at a loss to even remember a lot of what I had.

mktracy and trd like this.
  10. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

The Coltrane and Charles were, and I remember chatting to Florence about this series and that they were all supposed to be AAA.
    However I’m pretty sure I missed the release when it came out so I couldn’t swear on it.

11. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

That was me, two or three months ago. It was the HMV store here in Cardiff, Wales. It was over-priced, as all the Tone Poets and BN Classics seem to be with them, though I imagine it is selling for more on the used market at the moment. It was gone when I looked again a couple of weeks ago.

dastinger likes this.
  12. Ste_S

Ste_S Forum Resident

One of the rare advantages of HMV overpricing records; they often have stock when everyone else had sold out. My local HMV had a copy of Chet Baker sings hanging around for ages at £45ish

13. poorbeek

poorbeek Member

thee is an repress coming januari 2022!

Ronnieb likes this.
  14. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

You're a glass-half-full type of fellow alright :laugh:

uzn007, trd, ryu and 1 other person like this.
  15. avanti1960

understood, some still hold up today but many do not. i cannot remember the last time i put on some RTF (except the first two), McGlaughlin, Cobham, Dimeola, Coryell etc. But some do carry forward, the George Duke is agreat example.

mktracy and Josquin des Prez like this.
  16. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Any word on the Ornette box? I've been out of the loop

17. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Out sometime next year - production delays, etc.

PATB and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  18. Trifonius

Trifonius Jazz

Scofield remains fantastic; still warm and blue matter

99khan and avanti1960 like this.
  19. avanti1960

yes, i still play rough house from 1978. one of my all time favorite recordings of any genre.

20. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

Thank you for sharing!

21. testingcan

testingcan Forum Dissident

So after Sonny Clark's "My Conception", which is still exquisite, I picked up the BN80 of Andrew Hill's "Smoke Stack" and I am blown away. I mean, I knew that many people here raves about him with "Passing Ships" in here, but still, wow! I absolutely adore his playing, and although "Smoke Stack" is a bit uneven, I can't shake the feeling that this is the work of someone who makes exactly the music he wants to make.

So while I still have some others in my backlog (Coltrane's "Concert in Japan", Hubbard's "Open Sesame", more Clark and Ella's "Ella wishes you a swinging Christmas", which thankfully may only be played later this year), I am already wondering if I should go with "Passing Ships" next or any other album by Hill. I might have to sample a bit, although the large orchestration of "Passing Ships" might not be what I'm looking for, but we'll see.

22. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

Passing Ships! You won't regret it.

IanL and NorthNY Mark like this.
  23. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

Anyone dig Medeski Martin and Wood?
    I would love Tone Poets of Combustication and particularly The Dropper.
    While these were recorded digitally (I may be wrong), I would really appreciate them being on wax in record stores again.

muletrane, AFA, Spazros and 3 others like this.
  24. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

The Dropper
    ^^ Remastered by Kevin Smith, pressed at RTI

VMP did Uninvisible too -

25. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

I am. Vinyl Me Please recently put The Dropper and Uninvisible back out and I picked them up from them. Not sure if that'll eventually lead to some broader reissue, but it might. Both are listed as "Mastered From The Original Tapes By Ryan Smith, Sterling Sound" but not as AAA. So you're probably right on them being digitally recorded.

420JJJazz666 likes this.