The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Today would be probably anyone that hasn't had their say on 20th Century Man, Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues or Holiday.

Tomorrow morning will be Skin And Bone

CheshireCat, DISKOJOE and WHMusical like this.
  2. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

Just a quick thought whilst (den green?) on Holiday--no big suprise, as I love all of MH now.

But I would say about "Holiday" it was one I was not taken nor smitten with early on, and thought of as filler for many moons.

But I have since grown to love it as a captivating little vignette which really captured a mood and a need for rest and relaxation, a brief respite from a world gone mad which leads to the anger and angst of such songs as the previous two, "20th Century Man" and "APS~Blues"

Nowadaze, when I do get to go on the occasional Holidays, I catch myself often humming this tune, when I stop and reflect for thee moment on the enjoyment of a good, much-needed and hard-earned Holiday!

Cheers to hoping all y'all get a decent Holiday in soon!:cheers:
    [​IMG]
    :tiphat:

3. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

[​IMG]

4. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

What’s it say at the bottom? Kinky French Bookstore?

5. mark winstanley

Have A Kuppa Kinks ... hence the link :)

DISKOJOE and croquetlawns like this.
  6. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I see that. I’m referring to the label/patch on Ray’s shirt. There’s a bottom line that says Kinky French…and then I can’t read the next word that starts with a ‘B’.

7. mark winstanley

Ahhh, I missed that lol

Zeki likes this.
  8. Wondergirl

I can't make it out myself.

DISKOJOE, Zeki and mark winstanley like this.
  9. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

I'm not too fond of Ventilator Blues, actually I don't hear enough of it to have an opinion... I'm rediscovering Exiles since I found a copy of the Virgin remaster, and I still haven't purchased a 70s vinyl, so my last word is not said about it ! The pattern behind our tastes is really something fascinating. You would choose the very same first 4 tracks, and radically differ on the 5th. That's something I really like about reality.

I don't agree much with my own theory as well : Elvis Costello, Joe Jackson, someone mentionned Leonard Cohen... Some artists age really well. I need to listen to A Place in Your Heart.

I love Satanic Majesties, even if I confess I did make an alternate version with "We Love You" and "Dandelion" replacing the long jam.

Adam9, CheshireCat, markelis and 4 others like this.
  10. mark winstanley

I think it may be Kinks French Konnection

THE KINKS / RAY DAVIES - The Kinks French Konnektion

11. Wondergirl

12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  13. mark winstanley

I don't know, I was just having a goosey around at what it might have been...
    I'll probably check it out when I get a chance.....
    Although it just looks like a PDF or something, it has links (I assume)at the top... but I was racing around doing other stuff, so I didn't get a chance to follow it up yet .... it could well be a fan club though

14. mark winstanley

I literally just got out of the shower dude... don't go saying I have BO :)

DISKOJOE, Wondergirl and Zeki like this.
  15. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

Speaking of which and apropos nothing in this thread.
    There was a discussion on Quora in which a poster was virulently arguing that fish was a meat while others demurred. I tried to diffuse the argument (with no success) by misquoting the famous aphorism:

One man’s meat is another man’s poisson.

16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D Three coats of paint will do it to ya! (I’ve never used more than two. I bet it looks great.)

DISKOJOE likes this.
  17. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

You & a certain someone have something in common, according to Herr Liebkind:

Larry Geller and mark winstanley like this.
  18. mark winstanley

It's ok.... a bit rough

[​IMG]

Ex-Fed, ajsmith, The late man and 6 others like this.
  19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

And now you can look forward to moving all the furniture back in. :D (Looks great)

mark winstanley and DISKOJOE like this.
  20. mark winstanley

Groan.... yea.... moving furniture is the easy part, it's unstacking the thousands of discs and then restacking them.... and rewiring up the a/v ....
    But that's cool, I still have to clean it all up lol.... and that ain't happening tonight

croquetlawns, Zeki and DISKOJOE like this.
  21. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: I'm surprised that "Soul Survivor" isn't one of your choices. It's the only other song on the album besides "Let It Loose" that has a couple of unconventional chord choices.

22. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

That’s you alright. Why, when I was your age I had ten full time jobs, moderated 72 forums and kept 96 women fully satisfied, all while ghost writing the works of both the Clintons and the Obamas.

mark winstanley and ajsmith like this.
  23. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Good choices, but I would definitely have to add "Loving Cup". I would also like to add "Rip This Joint" and "All Down The Line". There is at least one great 10-12 song album contained within, but Exile On Main Street is one of those albums that benefits from the vinyl format. It's the complete experience that elevates it. I still say Muswell Hillbillies is better. There is rarely a time when the Stones put out a better album than The Kinks. I'm probably gonna choose The Kinks almost every time, and I love The Rolling Stones. My favorite Rolling Stones period is the 60s and that's a hard time to compete with The Kinks. This thread is making me take notice of what I always thought could be true. The Kinks are the greatest.

24. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

C'mon Mark, as great as that looks, you KNOW we need a before pic to fully appreciate it

25. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

That is a very Kinky Blue you got there Olde Marko!

:tiphat: