The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

But my name isn’t scout.:)

2. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

As they say, ice cream is like sex, even when it’s bad, it’s good.

3. Allthingsmusic

Allthingsmusic Forum Resident

Hello everyone, catching up and jumping in again. Such wonderful comments and discussions. Muswell Hillbillies, I remember this when it was first released. I immediately took to 20th Century Man and the title track. They seemed to be the most accessible to me at the time. I grew to love the whole thing as time went on. At the time it was released I felt this was The Kinks answer to The Band's Brown album and the surge in Country roots rock. Of course with a mixture of British music hall influences. Like others have said later live versions energize these songs and bring out their potential. Ray's showman tendencies start to blossom here more prominently. Love the slow build on 20th Century Man. One I never tire of!

4. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

Was 1971 the year of dietetics in western pop music ?

5. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"Skin and Bone"

I love going through all of these songs and taking a closer look. I am discovering many similarities with Marc Bolan and Ray Davies. We have discussed a few songs so far that got compared to T.Rex. Here we have another one! This guitar sound could be straight off of Electric Warrior. Even the silly lyrics are right up Marc's alley. These albums were released the same year and only a couple months apart. Electric Warrior came out two months earlier. Maybe it's all a big coincidence and the sound of the day, but I can't help but think they were both influencing each other in some way.

How can you not tap your toes and want to butter a scone after hearing this song? Another great song for a flawless side one so far.

6. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Pretty much my view on 'Skin And Bone' too.

7. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Yes, I remember being very disappointed with this, especially when Ray was performing so well, just the year previous, in concert at Manchester's Bridgewater Hall. This TV performance made me think that his touring time was coming to a close sadly. And to an extent, it was.

GarySteel, DISKOJOE, ajsmith and 2 others like this.
  8. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

How many songs are out there that mention carbohydrates? It can’t be that common…can it?

9. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

It also doesn’t help that this video upload appears to be slightly out of sync!

10. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

That song originally came out in the 1993 Beach Boys box set. I guess it was supposed to be for the Radiant Radish, a health food store that Brian Wilson owned at the time. Sadly, he rediscovered junk food & drugs shortly afterwards which necessitated the coming of Dr. Landry.

Yes, the early 70s, was the time that health foods such as brown rice, granola, and yogurt started to become popular, especially in light of health scares such as mercury in tuna fish & certain additives & diet sugar substitutes causing cancer. I remember a Dr. Euell Gibbons, a doctor famous for eating nuts and branches, being on TV commercials for Post Grape Nuts, as well as villagers from the former USSR who lived to be over 100 eating yogurt.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  11. DISKOJOE

That song will be coming up pretty soon. I can't wait to inquire the British Commonwealth Avids about all the cricket terms mentioned in the song.

Also, I just got home from a short drive & I was listening to my local AM oldies station in my car & they played "Lola" followed by "Suspicious Minds", something that would please Our Headmaster.

12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I didn’t know he was a doctor but he was famous for his book, “Stalking the Wild Asparagus.” A classic, by the way.

The late man likes this.
  13. DISKOJOE

Sorry, he wasn't a doctor, but he died fairly young (65), for someone who practiced a healthy lifestyle.

All Down The Line, Ex-Fed and Zeki like this.
  14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Very much so :)

Looking forward to revisiting the gentleman's game soon too :)

15. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

I hear you. Big Rock Candy Mountain, Let The Good Times Roll, Skin and Bone.

16. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:disgust: Essentially "Baby Driver" with different lyrics.

17. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

It's best not to ask. There's an SHF thread about everything - including one on words rarely used in song. I took the bait and confidently nominated parallelogram which appears in Motorhead's self-titled song. Almost immediately someone pointed out another song with that word, taking the wind out of my sails. Here's the excerpt from the lyric for info.

Fourth day, five day marathon
    We're movin' like a parallelogram​

18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D I retract my question.

DISKOJOE, mark winstanley and Steve62 like this.
  19. mark winstanley

How many carbohydrates in a song though?

GarySteel, Fischman, DISKOJOE and 2 others like this.
  20. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Brilliant! Whatever people think about Skin and Bone as a song, it's healthy: it has only three carbohydrates and no sugar :D

21. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Skin and Bone
    If there was ever a Kinks song that could be mistaken for a T Rex song, it's this one. The only thing is that the lyrics make sense and no talk of fairies or other silliness (and I LOVE T Rex).

I guess I would call this song a bit awkward in this day and age, but I can overlook it mostly.

Maybe someone already mentioned it but Ray and Dave's mom is named Annie. And she was a large lady. Imagine your mom hearing the lyrics "Fat flabby Annie" and Ray having to say "nah, ma, that's not about you" LOL And this is strictly my take so it may be nothing to it, but I've never seen Ray with an extra pound of fat on him. Sometimes he's too thin (IMO). I believe he had a thing about his own weight and has always been active...maybe partially because his mom was not "fit". The old "I don't want to end up like her/him" thing we sometimes experience with our loved ones.

Sorry if this is a silly take. But this a silly song. I don't love it. The music is fine, but I just don't think this has the light touch that Ray can be capable of when he writes a character.

I'm kinda bummed as so far this is the very first album since this thread began where I'm not feeling the love for 4 Kinks songs in a row. Again, the live versions are a different beast, but that's not what we're talking about here. :(

i wasn't expecting this.

22. mark winstanley

It is possible that this album doesn't have what you're looking for, but hold on for now.... two things
    This album is a grower, and although some speak of the virtues of side one, side two is a little different, and perhaps could spark your interest

23. Allthingsmusic

Allthingsmusic Forum Resident

Big Rock Candy Mountain was my earworm this morning. Interesting...

Steve62 and mark winstanley like this.
  24. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Not to mention the only song Noel Gallagher and Evan Dando ever wrote together!

mark winstanley and DISKOJOE like this.
  25. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Do you reckon? I have to say the Simon and Garfunkel song has a superior vocal melody imo, with that irresistible‘What’s My Number!’ refrain. Had Ray inserted summat like that into ‘Skin and Bone’, If probably like it a lot more.