Why R.E.M. Don't Get The Credit They Deserve

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by firepile, Nov 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CantonJester

CantonJester Lost faces say we adore you…

I was about to edit my post to include “Losing My Religion,” but was interrupted by my wife who needed to unload a list of honey dos before her next meeting (WFH with the wife is a peach!).

2. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

Probably "End of the World" gets closest, but I still think of that one as appealing little outside Gen X, unless "Smells Like Teen Spirit" which is loved by younger fans as well. I may be biased: I hated "Losing My Religion" then and my opinion hasn't improved, but perhaps it's more popular than I realize.

As far as the HOF yardstick being 35+ years, I was being a bit flippant to suggest that REM's reach did ebb after they called it a day, unlike other legacy acts, though I do consider them tremendously influential. I believe that the 25+ yardstick is enough to ensure that artists have some longevity or legacy outside of those who loved them as teens. I think the idea of the HOF being a circle jerk for those bands that people loved in their teens is a crock. IMO it should be only for those bands with a long lasting legacy that reach people across ages.

3. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion (Official Music Video) - 900,004,481 views

The Smiths - This Charming Man (Official Music Video) - 69,171,341 views

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart [OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO} - 70,963,696

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Official Music Video) - 1,371,162,588 views

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    Guy E and ARK like this.
  4. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Then, I'm guessing that you didn't read the OP's full post, or you didn't watch the video he posted. It was fairly self-explanatory.

5. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Bono's childhood, growing up with one Protestant parent and one Catholic parent in Ireland during the mid-20th century, could make a compelling story on its own. It's certainly shaped his perception of religion as an inspirational force of inclusivity, which informs much of his best work.

905 likes this.
  6. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

Where would I go to understand how much credit this band is getting, in order to assess if it is enough or not enough? This is a serious question. Are we basing this on streams or new sales of their catalog of LPs?

I would say I that I’m a causal fan of R.E.M. I saw them on the “Vote For Change” tour in 2004. I went in with no expectations and was floored by their performance.

Their music was omnipresent on MTV and the radio in the 90s, which was 30 years ago. Most bands from that era don’t get a ton of attention from younger listeners.

ARK and Big Blue like this.
  7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I read the post (which, yes, does use the word “legacy”), but did not watch the video.

ARK and DolphinsIntheJacuzzi like this.
  8. CantonJester

Smells Like Teen Spirit is part of the lore of the deified Nirvana. The band that got the last word on the legitimacy of rock music. Bands had to suffer silly legitimacy questions in the wake of Cobain’s suicide, and frankly, that’s crap.

9. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Did you see the Philly date of that tour? They were so good that night

10. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

I don't think that's Nirvana's fault. And IMO that song deserves the lore. I can remember exactly where I was when I first heard it. I had to pull the car over - that's how floored I was to hear a song that blew my mind again after sifting through all the garbage of the late 80s.

11. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

I grew up, and currently live in the Philly area, but at the time I was living outside of Washington DC, which is where I saw them on that tour. Their performance was pretty jaw dropping.

Twinge Crispy and ghoulsurgery like this.
  12. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Ah, I saw Kennett in your profile and wondered if we were at the same show

DavidJ likes this.
  13. CantonJester

I'm not blaming Nirvana. Only the deification of them.

I worked as a DJ at a college radio station (LOL as if I was paid) between summer '91 to early '93. That station had been wearing Bleach out for two years before Nevermind was released. I can't swear to it as my memory fails me, but I want to say we had an advance copy of Smells Like Teen Spirit on one of the CMJ Presents Certain Damage releases (these things saved me countless hours of sifting through crap to get to the good stuff) back in the early summer.

14. Desbug

Desbug Forum Resident

Smells like teen spirit is the ultimate CIA song. I don’t even know what that means but this is my favourite element of this thread.

Around the Sun is actually better than Up or Reveal overall. In my opinion obviously. I agree with those who have noted that all three of these are not as engaging as other REM albums despite some good songs but that the world would be poorer without Acceleate which is largely ace.

REM’s legacy is secure in my house. I’m sure they could bolster name recognition with the younger generation with a reunion tour but much as I’d be first in line for tickets I respect they don’t want to and quite like that.

RobCos02330 and Spencer R like this.
  15. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

Maybe R.E.M.'s music should have been allowed in TV commercials? Just like Led Zeppelin's, Wolfmother's, Black Sabbath's... Maybe that would have given the band some more exposure amongst younger fans? Imagine "Supernatural Superserious" or "Driven 8" in the background of a car commercial. Regarding the argument that using a band's music in commercials is "a sell-out", I don't buy that, I think on the contrary that signing an $80 million record contract is a sell-out.

16. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Nirvana was a game changer like I never heard in my life. I knew that was it. Not my favorite band or anything, but so many things came together at that moment.

Losing My Religion was never a music game changer. Big hit, big for REM, everywhere, but it didn't change anything. Any more than Born In The USA did.

I was a bigger U2 fan than ever was of REM. They are more anthemic, more obvious strokes.

Still, I can see why the youth of today would stop at Nirvana. And for them, it seems like the more sincere 1980s rockers come from a different place, and that place isn't worth exploring on the same level without growing up with it, without the context. Just pick and choose what resonates from the history of music.

17. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

I think your second paragraph is debatable. "Losing My Religion" kicked open a lot of doors, it sort of inaugurated the mainstream public to alt./indie rock and its aesthetic, and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" definitely profited from that momentum.

18. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I still hear REM, haven't really disappeared.

ARK and CantonJester like this.
  19. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Maybe 5-10 years from now they will be back in the younger generation.

20. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

They outstayed their welcome I guess. No Bill Berry was the death blow. I still like them though.

21. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

This seems to be turning into a Nirvana comparison with R.E.M. and frankly, there is no comparison.

At all.

Two different bands. One that had an amazing run from Murmur-New Adventures in Hifi. That’s quite a run! All consistently good to great albums. Huge success despite switching up their sound early and often. They took risks and some fans dropped off, but most went for the ride. At least up to New Adventures.

Nirvana exploded onto the scene with one song that aired on MTV seemingly twice every hour and became a phenomenon. They tapped into teen angst and struck a chord. Lots of gossip and controversy that included Kurts drug habit, Courtney Love etc. A lot of that buzz was NOT about the music. It took the Unplugged show to pull me in. Clearly, there was more to Kurt Cobain’s talent than the seemingly whiny songs I was hearing. I wish he’d hung around. Good stuff was coming if he could’ve kicked his habit and gotten help. But it’s still my belief that Nirvana’s legend was bolstered by the amount of off stage publicity the band was getting(and that video!!!!) and not necessarily the music(much to Kurts chagrin). At least that’s the way I saw it at the time.

And let’s not forget Kurt was a huge fan of R.E.M and why not? They were a GREAT band. He was right.

Frankly, It’s an unfair comparison for Nirvana.

22. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Nope. The stupid dance that accompanies every version of this song is evidence of a band taking themselves WAY too seriously.

Lexhibit likes this.
  23. CantonJester

That teen angst was really a flannel fad played out in frat houses across America, and yeah, had Cobain not offed himself, IMO he would have gone solo shortly after.

RobCos02330 likes this.
  24. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

Did R.E.M. get more credit and recognition than Status Quo? Yes. Did they deserve it? Did they really deserve it? That's debatable.

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

"Why R.E.M. Don't Get The Credit They Deserve"?

The answer to this question is quite simple, but it seems to have escaped almost everyone:

The answer is the visual of their lead singer - Michael Stipe.

Heroin addict? Aids Patient?

Honestly, who knew?

Lot's of speculation.

Regardless, visually he looked absolutely gross and disgusting to the masses.

Then and now.

This is why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.