What stereo gear are you planning to purchase in 2021?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I didn’t plan on it but I got a bonus at work and bought myself a pair of Klipsch Heresy IV speakers. I always wanted a fun pair of speakers to last many years. I can always find a better pairing amp until then I will use my Marantz SR-4023. My wife even helped me move my other speakers and amps around this morning. To be delivered today.

FloriduhBoy, Daedalus, Boomy and 5 others like this.
  2. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Only a couple months left this year. Curious how many followed through on their original plans.

I did nothing with the turntable. Actually didn't use it much in the last six months. Been spinning digital mainly lately.

I did call the amp manufacturer and talked to a tech about an amp checkup and upgrade. He wasn't concerned as long as it was working. It is still on my mind though. So maybe next year.

Only change to date was messing with different playback software. I expect that to continue through the end of the year.

A cheap year for me so far with really no upgrades.

3. Clonesteak

I did not plan on buying anything and staying put as is but received a bonus and why not spend it since prices seem to be going up on everything.
    Next years plan… Enjoy music more and not spend a dime on gear.

jusbe likes this.
  4. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Probably gear I had no intention on purchasing.

Slippers-on and Clonesteak like this.
  5. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Update...got my Focal Elegia closed back headphones. Really enjoying them.

6. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I did a lot of upgrading at the end of 2020 and in early 2021. I have some wants (new sub, new cables/cords), but nothing that rises to the top of any wish list.

I will probably buy a new running smart watch as a nice gift for myself. I’ve got a few other wishes, but nothing audio-related.

I’ll keep adding to my used CD collection, though.

timind and Clonesteak like this.
  7. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

I'm mostly in maintenance mode at this point to keep my older gear in good operating shape. I did buy a SVS Ultra16 subwoofer this year though .... just because.

Clonesteak likes this.
  8. NielsSS

NielsSS Forum Resident

I just ordered a Chord Quetest DAC. Having planned to purchase a Audio Note DAC 2,1 sig, but decided on a cheaper solution.

Bachtoven, timind and Slippers-on like this.
  9. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

You will love the Heresy IV....Enjoy, they rock for their size ! I had the III, the new midrange driver is much better in my opinion. Worth the price difference from the III for sure.

YtseJammer and Clonesteak like this.
  10. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

Finished up the big stereo recently, conrad-johnson EV-1 phono stage, Kimber 12TC cables.
    Much, much better than new.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

timind, Clonesteak and Kyhl like this.
  11. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I didn't get a bonus.... my company sucks....But Im glad you did and spent it on something you'll enjoy for many years.

timind likes this.
  12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Just got some Allison One's.

Quite wonderful they are.

[​IMG]

Tlay and SteveFord like this.
  13. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

What's this 'work bonus' thing?

Only kidding (maybe). Nice one. I'd do the same. The Heresy is, from all accounts, a total keeper.

Clonesteak likes this.
  14. Clonesteak

Work bonus is not an annual thing and consider myself very fortunate. This was the only way my wife would of let me spend this much on speakers. I spent three hours listening to them and set up in my room are better than I imagined. Set up with tweeters at ear level and dual subs and I am in heaven.

jusbe and Oddiofyl like this.
  15. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

ZERO....not buying any kind of gear until 2031

JorgeGvb and timind like this.
  16. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

:biglaugh:

timind and Clonesteak like this.
  17. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

looking at a kirmus ultrasonic record cleaner. something i can pop new records in and let it rip.

18. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

You won't be disappointed. I love mine.

19. timind

timind phorum rezident

I love your vintage speaker finds. Trying to remember the year I came close to buying a pair of large Allison speakers, must've been right around 1980. Pretty sure those are the model I was looking at.

sberger likes this.
  20. Djohm

Djohm Forum Resident

Just pulled the trigger on dual REL T5/x. Likely my last big purchase for the year.

timind likes this.
  21. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

I was thinking about giving Klipsch a shot during their annual black Friday sale......BUT.....KEF R3's are on sale now. Decisions.

timind likes this.
  22. Tawaun A Williams

Tawaun A Williams Forum Resident

Wharfedale Diamond 12.2=check!
    Leak 130 amp and Cd transport
    Smsl do2000 dac
    Ifi Zen Stream

timind likes this.
  23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I definitely lusted over the Allison line back in the late 70's/early 80's but had nary a dime to my name. I grew up not far from where they made them(and also not far from where AR's were made) and between rich friends with them, and the various audio stores around that I made myself a pest in, I knew that these were the speakers(along with AR3/3a & LST's) that I wanted. But never thought I'd own them.

And now I do. And I couldn't be more pleased.

timind and Tawaun A Williams like this.
  24. Tawaun A Williams

Tawaun A Williams Forum Resident

Congrats thats quite a long wait...its good that you still have the same level of enthusiasm that many decades later. Definitely some of the great speaker designs that have stood the test of time...

sberger likes this.
  25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Hey to an extent it's guys like me that keep the demand for quality vintage gear pretty strong and (sorry) prices elevated. People who grew up in the 60's-80's with a fond memory of all the special gear that was around in those days, much of it unobtainable to the average teen/early 20 something at the time. I started to look for this stuff several years ago after having enough dough to get back into audio seriously about 20 years ago. I was pretty disappointed in a lot of the current gear that was quite expensive that I'd tried, and started to look for the stuff that I had great memories of from the old days.

I only wish I had dug deeper 10-15 years ago into this stuff when much of it was a lot less expensive then it is now.