The Lost Version of Planes, Trains and Automobiles | A Docu-Mini

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Nov 22, 2020.

1. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

That was fantastic. I’m not really a movie guy, but if I’m channel surfing and see that on, I’ll usually stop and watch. I remember my dad watching that movie with me, and not too many years ago I watched it with my daughter.

It’s a shame about the deleted plane scene which reads funny in the script he included. But I think I’m happy that the cafe scene at the end was cut. I do think the simplicity in the existing film at the train station had plenty of impact on its own without the extra commentary by Del explaining how hard life was during the holidays. I think leaving it to the viewer to make of Del’s simple explanation what they wanted was a good call.

Thanks for sharing the link!

3. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Thanks so much!!! for posting this YT video. This is not just my favorite holiday movie, but also one of my top 3 comedy movies. Have already shared with like-minded friends as well.

longdist01 and Jrr like this.
  4. Dark Mavis

Dark Mavis Local Congressman

Thanks for sharing!

The big thing this explains to me is the odd tension with his wife. That whole dynamic is much clearer now.

Joe W and thgord like this.
  5. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Saw it the other day . Fantastic

really tied up a lot of things

Joe W likes this.
  6. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I watched it the other day.. Steve Martin has the video on his twitter page..
    He's seems interested in this version restored.. which I would love to see.

Solaris likes this.
  7. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I am glad they did not include her believing Neal is cheating plotline. This movie is fun with heart tugging moments. I do not see any way that plotline would be either.

Instant Dharma, swandown and JakeKlas like this.
  8. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Something that impresses me about the final scenes in the movie, is the fact that the ending was created in the editing room. If I understand the details correctly, the original ending had Candy waiting at the station for Martin and insisting that they spend the holiday together. Martin’s line “Del, what are you doing here?” was delivered out of exasperation, not concern.

The ending as is, with the two parting, Martin piecing together that Candy is a widower and has no home, and returning to invite him home was created during the editing process. I may have some of the details wrong, but that’s the basic story. The film’s editor, Paul Hirsch, has discussed this in interviews (and his book, I think).

Instant Dharma and swandown like this.
  9. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

The part where Steve Martin is on the train & puts everything together was apparently done with Martin unaware he was being filmed. Hughes kept the camera running between takes, and when they saw the footage in the editing room they made it part of the story.

SmallDarkCloud likes this.
  10. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

With more 'explanation' or background from Del, that scene of him freezing in the car outside the motel accompanied by his regrets would have lost its power.

LouChang and Luke The Drifter like this.
  11. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Would love if they could release a John Hughes extended cut

12. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I know it's a Thanksgiving film, but I love watching it past that, into December.

Michael and jason88cubs like this.
  13. LouChang

LouChang her brother (but nobody's bro)

Bumping this thread to say that watching this "docu-mini" makes me appreciate the final cut even more, although I do think the overshooting-Chicago-into-Wisconsin scenes should've been kept. Del's unexplained black eye near the end has always been an obvious flub in the original. Alas, a minor quibble with one of my favorite movies.

The script shown about Psycho making the shower curtain business difficult doesn't make sense. Even if the character of Del was supposed to be a few years older than John Candy at the time, he would've started selling curtain rings in junior high to fit that timeframe.

Obviously some of the scripted dialogue was changed upon filming, as the shots from the trailer show. I would love to see the extended cuts. Hopefully the film elements are in good enough shape to make that possible.

Shawn, ex_mixer and Simon A like this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

wow that was great...love this movie!

15. Michael

yes! the 3 + hours one!

LouChang, musicfan37 and Boomy like this.
  16. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Will be cueing up this movie within the next few weeks! It’s about that time!

17. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

This film in any format is essential to the modern American family. We watch this at every holiday whenever we get together!

musicfan37 likes this.
  18. Michael

yes, soon for us as well...to us it's a Thanksgiving/Christmas movie! WE LOVE IT!

musicfan37 and Boomy like this.
  19. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I would absolutely love the three hour version!

LouChang likes this.
  20. I would simply love a Blu-ray with as-best-as-the-elements-allow picture/audio quality. The version out there is mediocre and doesn’t due justice to this film.

21. LouChang

Planes, Trains and Automobiles will be shown tonight at 6pm, 8pm and 10pm EST on AMC in the US.

Even with lots of commercials and a censored rental car scene, I'll still be tuning in.

One of these networks should just go ahead and do 24 hours straight like A Christmas Story on TBS/TNT. :D

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    Madness, Generation42 and Shawn like this.
  22. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Censoring that rental car scene is a crime. Perfect comedy.

LouChang likes this.
  23. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Every time I see this now on regular cable, the scene where they wake up in bed together,
    and the hilarious "those aren't two pillows!" scene is completely gone. I don't get it,
    since it's one of the most perfect scenes in the film....

24. LouChang

That scene was present during the current showing. Cursing is reduced to 1980s network TV levels however.

25. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

I want the f#%ing 3+ hour version.
    Right f#%ing now!!!

KeninDC, Shawn and LouChang like this.