David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. falldog

falldog Calmer Man

I really didn't want to get into this one, but now I have to 'cause I'm intrigued :D

The weird thing is that I definitely also remember the locked groove thing (in fact, I nearly commented that earlier then decided not to as my One Source Of Truth [OSOT] on that is not readily available to me).
    I just listened carefully to some of the latest issues and it sounds like a very clean loop of the initial "bruh" syllable - probably better than something produced in '73-74 would have been, so not even the "bro, run" or "bro, ther" sequence that people are suggesting. FWIW, Pegg also says it's a simple repeat of the "Bro"/"Bruh" syllable.

OSOT: The only version of DD that I have ever owned on vinyl - an RCA gatefold copy that I bought new in ~81.

The two recollections from my OSOT are that (1) the "bruh" syllable wasn't exactly the same on each repeat, but there was a sequence of either 2, 4 or 6 that repeated, and (2) I remember hearing this on cassette for the first time when I bought it to play in my car and was surprised that (of course - duh!) it faded out. I'm almost certain the running order was very different, too - hmmm, perhaps that confused me not the edit ...? I just remember that listening to the cassette as unnerving :sigh:

My OSOT is in storage so I have no way of easily getting the catalogue number let alone playing it, but I wonder if this is something that was there on earlier pressings (as mine was a gatefold, I wonder if it was old stock and is actually a pressing that's much earlier than the time I bought it).

Or, maybe just maybe, this is an instance of the Mandela Effect (y'know, like there's no such product as Febreeze, and no cartoon called Looney Toons).

Fascinating.

2. APhillyKid

APhillyKid Forum Resident

hi
    for those of you who want a little lead in to this box, world cafe has a 30 minute broadcast from 1997
    the opener is dead man walking with him and reeves on acoustic
    anyone who thinks that david is not a top notch singer should hear not only his beautiful tone,
    but the emotion in his phrasing

3. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Again, it was produced with an Eventide digital delay unit (probably the DDL 1745, with a very short early-70s memory circuit; Visconti explains how he came to use this during the mixing session in his Who Can I Be Now? liner notes)

Hmmm — I don't remember ever reading about the locked groove before, but if this was something only introduced on certain pressings it would have to be a sequence of 6 or so loops along with a 'skip' (ie. with an incomplete/interrupted loop, as all locked grooves in a 33⅓ RPM record are 1.8 seconds exactly, which the Eventide loop wouldn't divide into wholly, if that makes sense). But the original intention was for the loop to continue endlessly fading away into gradually more and more reverb

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I never recall a locked groove on Diamond Dogs.

On another note, I'm spinning Earthling. I've been pondering just how different this album would have been without so much fuzz guitar from Gabrels - he tears it up with atonal washes which sometimes can overwhelm things a little. There's so much going on, but some of it is lost to wild soloing of an almost wave of white noise weaving in and out. He was clearly having one heck of a time.

With less guitar this album would be very different, I think. Some of the songs are strong, but for me this evening, that playing is taking me out of it a little.

5. falldog

falldog Calmer Man

Yes - now you say it, maybe my recollection of the syllables being different was more that the loop didn't line up properly. As a stickler for detail, I just remember there being something "off" about it ...

As someone with a 90's turntable, vinyl in storage and no amp with an RIAA input, the amount of work I'm going to have to put in just to prove myself wrong is staggering! :D

aphexj likes this.
  6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I just looked and Chris O'Leary (from Pushing Ahead of the Dame) also mistakenly remembered there being an actual locked groove, only to correct his blog on "Skeletal Family" later. Perhaps it is the Mandela effect after all...

croquetlawns and falldog like this.
  7. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

Anyone else buy a t shirt or hoodie?? Mine is on its way..

The following item(s) has been shipped by Remedy Fulfilment from United Kingdom:

• 1 x David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure Black T-Shirt
    • 1 x David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure Black Hoodie

8. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I have some Bowie t-shirts, but I'm not sure if I want to wear the BA image!

9. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

I made one up 4 years ago so looking forward to the official Shirt..

[​IMG]

cmcintyre and croquetlawns like this.
  10. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Nice job. A rock tee a grownup can wear. :thumbsup:

croquetlawns and Stump like this.
  11. Segasonic91

Segasonic91 Forum Resident

They are NOT meant to be played!! I see those young noobs on YT all the time playing picture discs and just shake my head.

EDIT: Disgusted but not surprised at yet another cash grab that does celebrate the album as it should be!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  12. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Django216, Fabrice Outside and aphexj like this.
  13. gamuzajoe

gamuzajoe Forum Resident

FYI: In case it suits you, the BA CD set is available to pre-order at Amazon Spain for 93.38 €. I wasn’t planning to buy it in advance but they got me with that price.

croquetlawns likes this.
  14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

If they're just to look at, why bother at all. Get a poster for your wall.

WeeSam, Max Florian and scenescof like this.
  15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

That's about the standard price for the CD box. It's currently 91.99 at Amazon UK. It's the Vinyl guys getting beat up.

16. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

Via Tony Visconti:

[​IMG]

Thorpy, TonyCzar, Dbstay and 18 others like this.
  17. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

I don‘t want to sound mean BUUUTTT
    why did Visconti got an early copy of Brilliant Adventure? If I am not mistaking he didn‘t do anything with Bowie during that period.

Colinjpush likes this.
  18. LSMark

LSMark Forum Resident

I'm more worried about that dent on the top right hand corner. I hope he's demanding Amazon give him a full refund and let him keep it.

19. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I see that BA is the vinyl box, but what about Toy?

20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I still can't believe they went with that cover for Toy. :D

21. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Could be me but I don't see any dent, just shadow of the plastic seal.
    Next to each other they're an ugly bunch aren't they ? DB would've been proud. :agree:

22. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

How do you know he got it from Amazon?

23. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

Includes the singles "You've Got A Habit Of Leaving" and "Shadow Man"...

Stump and Django216 like this.
  24. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

10” vinyl.

25. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

He would get it from Warner/ parlophone.

aphexj and croquetlawns like this.