What have you learned / gained from the Steve Hoffman Forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Durango88, Aug 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FreddieKaneTop5

FreddieKaneTop5 Well-Known Member

That not all older white people look down on modern music trends

2. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

sorry for my past behavior:o:o:o:o:cry:

3. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

sorry:o

4. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

You liked my post a week ago, man. Chill. It’s all good.

Randall DeBouvre likes this.
  5. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Some good stuff. Some bad stuff.

joy stinson likes this.
  6. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

I've been here since the end of 2015, and I got here looking for something else, so anything I've learned or gained was not by intent. Anyway, there are three things that come to mind:

1. I definitely discovered the word 'brickwall' here (though I was, of course, already aware of dynamic compression).
    2. I've discovered I'm not quite as a big a fan of The Monkees as I thought I was.
    3. Despite keenly engaging with those Beatles threads, many of the other acts I like are considerably less well known, and I've learned that some of them are practically unknown even here - Sister Sister (Debbie and Katy Raines) anyone?

joy stinson and Lance LaSalle like this.
  7. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

I’ve totally planned my next 2 full system upgrades based on lots of reading, opinions and learning on here… but I really can’t afford the first, let alone the second. Maybe a little room treatment in the meantime, and a couple of linear power supplies!

This forum has helped me escape the madness of the pandemic at times, and I’ve become ‘sociable’ on here rather then just ‘lurking’, and I’m v grateful for that. Learnt a lot about music, and seeking out better masters!

Approx 98% of people on here won’t even entertain the idea of listening to the ‘electronica’ side of my music tastes, let alone like it. Oh well, happy about the 2%! Luckily electronic music is only a part of my tastes….

Sean, MrCJF and DK Pete like this.
  8. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

I’ve learned much detail about different recording takes, unknown to me cd and digital releases on my favorite artists and much audiophile info. Yes, sadly there’s little to no interim electronica music as above poster notes nor in rap or hip hop sadly.

9. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

And that most of the time you don't even have to try. Everything is the Beatlers: punk, metal and trap for instance.

ralphb and joy stinson like this.
  10. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

A wealth of interesting information about Grateful Dead shows often from folks who were there.How I wish I was! The archives are really fun still.Fun?This music hobby is still actually fun!:)

CybrKhatru, ARK and joy stinson like this.
  11. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

As Beatle fans from the beginning demonstrated..nothing was ever too trivial about the Beatles or the solo Beatles…we’re by far the nuttiest group of fans.

Skydog7 and Sear like this.
  12. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

I’ve learned to work the saxophone. I play just what I feel.

CybrKhatru and Ginger Ale like this.
  13. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

That middle aged and young adult white males have problems with older white males, and that "older white male" is a pejorative equivalent to pedophile.

51IS likes this.
  14. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

"Older" is a relative term. I'm a much greater age than George Michael was when he used that as his album title. However, I'm happy to say I have never been older than a serving British Prime Minister (or Monarch, but that's been fairly easy in my lifetime?).

15. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

This forum is genuinely full of the most narrow minded individuals around, many of whom honestly do not actually like music.

16. poisonedhangman

poisonedhangman Forum Resident

That fans here are even more dedicated and obsessive about their musical tastes than I could ever be. So if I have a question about a certain artist or music... it will be answered.

edenofflowers and simoncm like this.
  17. dalecooper

dalecooper Forum Resident

I like to come here to get a sense of the group opinion(s) of music fans who are at least somewhat like myself (40+, grew up with rock 'n roll and see things through that prism, and a bit obsessive). It helps me figure out which rabbit holes I want to go down, and how best to do that--albums and songs to start with, which versions to buy or pass over, etc. And the really nice part is that the forum is so active that I can search for almost any band or even a specific album, and come back with a thread about it. Obviously not the really obscure or more modern stuff, but the last few years I've really been going back and filling in gaps in my knowledge of relatively mainstream rock from the 60s through the 80s, and that is square in the wheelhouse here.

I don't agree with everything I read, by any means. But the forum has been good to me as a resource in that specific way.

Man at C&A and Amnion like this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I can't agree with that. There are the classic rock and Beatles bores of course, but there's plenty of people here who have far more diverse music collections than the majority of people. People who haven't bought any new music for years can still have very broad tastes. I wouldn't say there are people who don't like music, but there are many who let nitpicking the masterings and going on about dynamic range get in the way of it.

rod, simoncm and Sear like this.
  19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Spot on. Unfortunately Covid has made that worse..... :shrug:

20. rockphotog

rockphotog If I Could Only Remember My Name

I’ve learned that my mileage may vary.

ARK likes this.
  21. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Reading people's reviews of audio equipment helped me a lot in figuring out what to buy and not to buy. Also, the music forums helped a heck of a lot with respect to mastering, cutting engineers, pressing plant information, record labels to be on the lookout, and more.

The fact that there are metal fans who post here is also great. I try to contribute back more by posting my own findings, reviews, etc.

Neonbeam likes this.
  22. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

"Learned/Gained"?
    How about "Lost"... A lot of money! :biglaugh:

23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

To be honest all the technical talk about mastering and different pressings is what initially brought me here. Because I couldn't find valuable information like that elsewhere.

bhazen and nosliw like this.
  24. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

That’s history repeating itself.

25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Been a member since 2006 and "lurked" for a few years before that. Learned about the loudness wars, and gained an understanding of why I didn't like the new CD's I was buying. Most valuable - learning about Classic Records shutting down from this site - went out and bought every Classic Records pop/rock title I could lay my hands on before they closed their doors.

joy stinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.