Michael Jackson's 'Bad': 34 Years Later*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SITKOL'76, Sep 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary_Stewart

Gary_Stewart 2 Kings 2:23-25

That's a total of 15 songs written by Michael Jackson by himself, over the course of eight years. (22 songs over the course of 13 years, including History). Whose statement was it exactly? History will look back at Michael Jackson as the Sammy Davis Jr. of the 80s. It's not hyperbolic to say that Michael Jackson never made a single artistic statement.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    EdwinM likes this.
  2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Give Me The Night is one of my favorite albums of all time! And sounds just impeccable. And great shuffled in any random order to boot. I'll have to check out the others, I've only heard The Dude which I didn't love at the time. Let me add in a similar vein
    • Luther Vandross Never Too Much which rather like the above is really a jazz album more than anything, underneath a topping of pop songwriting.
    As for MJ, my personal favorite is perhaps Off The Wall which didn't get played to death so much. Though I totally LOVED Billie Jean from the first time I saw the video and still do.

Yost, Jarleboy and innuendo141 like this.
  3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

This was the first actual vinyl record ever bought for me, I was 7.

I was quite disappointed when my parents brought the vinyl home, as I wanted the cassette tape.

innuendo141 likes this.
  4. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Topic:
    Michael Jackson's 'Bad': 30 Years Later

420JJJazz666 and FACE OF BOE like this.
  5. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Let's make it 34. How on earth did this thread resurface anyway.

innuendo141 and DesertHermit like this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I think a good copy of that LP might fetch more than the cassette these days.:)

I bought the CD on release day. If I’m not mistaken, I think they made alterations to the recording shortly after.. I know the version of the song Bad on my copy is different to the ones that came a little later..

7. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Am I right in thinking that some copies included the spoken intro to I Just Can't Stop Loving You and some didn't?

Jarleboy and DesertHermit like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I think that might have happened on the later (2001) remaster. I’m not sure though. They could have altered it on the 1987 CD. The version of Bad is certainly different. Some MJ expert will put us right.:)

9. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

As far as I’m aware, the single edits/remixes replaced several of the original album versions on the more recent reissues.

Bink, Jarleboy and DesertHermit like this.
  10. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Me too! I bought the LP on the week of release and think I’m one of the lucky 3 million or so that managed to buy it before he started tweaking it! I bought the CD years later and noticed there were some “changes”. :D

Eric_Generic, Bink and Bobby Morrow like this.
  11. innuendo141

innuendo141 I want to pet your dog.

The early CDs have this mix, and then SOME later ones. I have some CDs that might have the original version of TWYMMF but the single version of IJCSLY for example. It's all a bit messy up to 1991. After that it's all single versions.

Bink and Eric_Generic like this.
  12. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Would be excellent stuff for a deluxe version or even a box set. Who takes care of the Jackson legacy anyway?

13. innuendo141

innuendo141 I want to pet your dog.

2 lads run his Estate. Mclain and Branca. They would have fitted nicely on the Bad 25 set. The long version of IJCSLY was released as a promo only single that year but, while the Estate are well able to make money the releases post-death have left an awful lot to be desired.

Jmac1979 and Bink like this.
  14. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Need to see if it’s still at my parents’ among their records, haha. I may have to put it back in my collection.

Don’t think I’ve heard this album outside of a few radio songs since the late 80’s.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  15. MrBigFan

MrBigFan Forum Resident

I still have my original cd that I purchased in late august 87 and that version has the spoken intro version among others changes like speed changes to the tracks and Michael breathing/ heartbeating on one of the songs.
    Anothe copy I have from early 1988 ….I think…..has the spoken intro removed,dont remember regarding the other issues.

innuendo141 and Bink like this.
  16. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I get that Michael has a "complicated" legacy but so does David Bowie and his estate puts so much out that fans are tired of endless live bootlegs and box sets that are overpriced (the Brilliant Adventure and Toy boxes cured me of my vinyl addiction because of the prices), but MJs people use the documentary as why they wont release more. There were five years between Xscape and Leaving Neverland where no "new" music came out besides a Halloween compilation

innuendo141 likes this.
  17. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

My feeling is that they recognised that in life when Michael released albums, the long gap between releases helped to make them an event, so they may be replicating this model. The other thing is they only have a finite amount of material so I guess they don't want to put it all out at once.

It will be interesting to see if they do anything for Thriller's 40th next year.

innuendo141 likes this.
  18. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

The thing with Michael is that unlike an artist like Whitney who has very little unreleased material because Clive picked songs for her, Michael would record 50-60 songs per album. Maybe not the volume Prince recorded (the Sign O The Times deluxe had 93 tracks and it still didnt cover EVERYTHING he did for those sessions) but they talked about Michael having enough for 20 or more vault releases.... so where are they?

Bink likes this.
  19. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Yes, I remember reading that too.

My understanding is that Michael would record several demos with his 'B Team' before they selected which songs would be recorded by the 'A Team' in the studio. I am no expert on what is available, but my impression is that the 50 -60 songs per album probably relates to those demos - not that I don't want to hear these. I love his demos. They are better than many people's finished recordings!

When they compiled Xscape, LA Reid wanted to focus on those recordings where Michael had laid down completed vocals because it meant they would have been considered good enough by Michael to seriously work on.

So if they were to release another Xscape -type album it wouldn't surprise me if they only focused on near complete tracks again - and I am guessing there aren't many of these. However I am sure I read somewhere that there would be enough for at least a couple more albums.

But as I say, I enjoy the demos too so would welcome expanded versions of the original albums with demos in a similar way to Bad25.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  20. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Bad 25 was how I hoped they were going to handle the catalog. Thriller 25 was an abortion with the "new remixes so these songs will be relevant with the kids" when in 2021 it's those mixes which are the dated ones

Leigh Burne and Bink like this.
  21. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Absolutely. I have no interest in those remixes and never play them. Even the one unreleased track was apparently a demo for Dangerous and didn't have anything to do with Thriller.

We can't blame the estate for that one though as Michael was still alive and worked on that reissue himself (or so we are led to understand).

innuendo141 likes this.
  22. Two of Diamonds

Two of Diamonds X

When this came out, I was a kid and I thought that popular music like this was stuff you were supposed to like. Didn’t grab me at the time.

Around the time of his death, I think, I heard the album again and it didn’t age well to me either. But I do like the bonus tracks, Streetwalker and Fly Away.

23. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

Is it “Streetwalker” that was supposedly completed and set to be on the album before it was replaced at the last minute with another song (I forget which)?

24. Two of Diamonds

Two of Diamonds X

No idea. But I do like the “gimme some time” part.

25. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I always assumed Streetwalker was a demo as I don't think it was a Quincy production.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.