David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. downer

downer Senior Member

I had a US pressing of DD on release.
    CPL1-0576

There was no locked groove.

The 'brah brah brah' repeat eventually faded into a gradual increasing & slightly distorting reverb.

I remember. I was there.

Colinjpush and aphexj like this.
  2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

This says everything about SHF. Seeing the boxes for the very first time, only comment, I'd send it back because the corner looks bent. :biglaugh:

3. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

There's at least one track on Toy he did the arrangement for... there's also "Nature Boy" from 2001, but weirdly, they left that one off Re:Call 5

croquetlawns and Colinjpush like this.
  4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Because he's Tony Visconti. Simple.

Thorpy, fluxkit, johnnyyen and 8 others like this.
  5. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

2 of the crapiest covers ever !

6. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

Zero chance tbh !!

7. Segasonic91

Segasonic91 Forum Resident

Well sorry, but that is EXACTLY what they are for. My picture discs I bought in the late 80's/early 90's adorned my bedroom wall. They were not PLAYED because I already had a proper record of the album or CD.

Unlike all the crap and garbage released now, picture discs were a special thing back then. Something cool to collect of your favourite band or singer. I had shaped picture discs as well. Although it was cool to spin that Skid Row "18 And Life" shaped picture disc I have, it was played once because apart from being impractical on most turntables, playing it could have scratched it and ruined the look of it.

So no, not just like "hanging a poster on a wall", it WAS hanging something far cooler to show your love for said band/singer and an awesome collectable. They were twice the price of an actual record here, too. How anyone could think they are meant to be played....blows my mind.

croquetlawns and sortvinyl like this.
  8. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Cool story, Bruh, Bruh, Bruh, Bruh, Bruh, Bruh, Bruh, Bruh...

9. NekoM

NekoM Seriously not serious.

I’m somewhat hesitant to contradict Visconti, but it sounds a lot like an Echoplex tape delay because of the variation of the repeat created by the wow and flutter of moving over the machines heads, the digital delay would have been a lot more stable. However the Mellotron is definitely going through some clean reverb and delay which could of only been achieved with the Eventide. Who knows?

10. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

It’s already been discussed many times in the thread, like all the other boxes the majority of albums in the box will get individual releases, usually around 6 months after the box is released.

The only two in this box that will be exclusive to the box are the BBC live disc and Recall5

aphexj, croquetlawns and scenescof like this.
  11. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

New on official DB YT channel

12. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

I may be showing my ignorance, but I watched that clip last night and Ronson was playing on ‘I Know It’s Gonna Happen Someday’ with Bowie in the studio. Yet, Ronson only plays on ‘I Feel Free’ on the actual album itself.
    Him playing on ‘It’s Gonna Happen…m makes sense as he produced the Morrissey album it was on but does this mean there’s alternate versions of this track and more in the vault all with Ronson?

13. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Yep, exactly what I thought. Morrissey's original "I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday" interpolates "Rock 'n Roll Suicide" in the latter half of the song, but Bowie left this element out of his cover. But watching this BTWN making-of video, it's clear that at one point, they planned to include the "Rock 'n Roll Suicide" bit, and Ronson himself would play it!

So make that two hypothetical BTWN outtakes I'd love to hear: "I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday (feat. Mick Ronson)" and "Bring Me the Disco King (BTWN Version)"!

Azorbz, Colinjpush, Markyp and 2 others like this.
  14. Jepsom

Jepsom Forum Resident

I am surprised nobody mentioned that the bro...bro...bro...heard at the closing of Chant...the great finale to the DD album,
    sounds like rock...rock...rock; Hence the dual nature of this project: the 1984 novel (or as much as DB could legally adapt it, not getting
    the widow Orwell in a tether) and the popular music of the generation, rock! Boy, that guy Jonesy was always so exciting and
    entertaining. He also had the knack to bring in musicians that could help bring his sound (and vision) to fruition. We won`t see his like again,
    unfortunately. That`s what I meant in a previous post, that the world, as an immense example, gets suckier with each passing year that he`s
    gone...another year without tours, new music. All we got left now is the previously unreleased to look forward to. Keep it coming, keep it physical!

15. I really want to hear those pre-Reality versions of “Bring Me the Disco King” — there’s one from the BTWN sessions — and there’s another one from the Earthling sessions too, iirc.

16. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

The footage has been out for ages, but I never really checked credits on the album. Maybe it just didn't work with Mick on that one.
    You might have to wait for some stupid anniversary or something for possible outtakes and live to see the day. I'm not really into more BTWN, but the alternate Disco Kings are welcome.

17. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

If I dropped almost $400 on that thing, I would send it back, too.

jimhb likes this.
  18. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Really? I always thought it was Mick Ronson who did lead guitar on I Know It’s Gonna Happen Someday, simply because he was involved on the original recording.

19. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I think it was Wild T Springer who did the solo if I am not mistaken.

johnnyyen likes this.
  20. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

HD upgrade of "Black Tie White Noise" is out now.

IMO, Bowie's worst title track of his career (by some distance), and Al B. Sure! is probably the most forgotten "major" collaborator of Bowie's career, but it's good to see this video looking so sharp, Bowie himself included.

scenescof, Beechlander and WeeSam like this.
  21. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

For title tracks it has to at least stand above "Tonight." I have come to warm up to the song little by little, though it will never be a favourite

Beechlander and Innocent Smith like this.
  22. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

The only Bowie song I can’t stand.

WeeSam and footprintsinthesand like this.
  23. Dbstay

Dbstay Senior Member

Wow great upgrade, I love it. Still had in memory that VHS quality from early 90´s

pobbard likes this.
  24. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

To be honest I don't think Black Tie White Noise is as bad as many think.
    It's a weaker song for Bowie and especially the lyrics are a bit too much. But I kinda understand what Bowie wanted to do and respect that.
    It's okayish - he has done worse in my opinion but also much better.

25. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

Once I bought BTWN I was okay with the first 7 tracks on the CD. The rest were lesser. The "Night Flights " cover is still a spine tingler. I hate the other two covers. The album takes a hit on them. Especially the gruesome Morrissey cover. I had liked every Smiths cover I'd ever heard by that point, but then and there I realized how much Marr brought to that game. Title track appeals to me, somehow even though it's the only Al B. Sure I've ever heard. Too correct on Bowie misjudging his artistic validity for collaboration. But I'm still okay with the track. Though I am intellectually intrigued by the BTWN/Earthling versions of "Disco King," the end result was so perfect, that I don't want to hear the early attempts!