Michael Jackson's 'Bad': 34 Years Later*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SITKOL'76, Sep 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innuendo141

innuendo141 I want to pet your dog.

He also approved of the Beat It duet with Fergie...

Bink likes this.
  2. innuendo141

If they were to ever bother with re-releasing this album, there's been a few gems uncovered over the past few years, but I'd love to hear this one properly. A few of the tunes that didn't make it past the demo stage were quite dark. Abortion Papers, Price Of Fame, Do You Know Where Your Children Are, etc. Add these to the mix of Leave Me Alone, Smooth Criminal and Dirty Diana you would have had a VERY different feeling record.

Bink likes this.
  3. Prince John

Prince John Forum Resident

The Sammy Davis Jr. of the 80s? Never made a single artistic statement? ‘Bad’ alone was full of them.

4. Prince John

Prince John Forum Resident

Drivel

5. innuendo141

Drivel is a compliment to be fair.

Prince John likes this.
  6. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I’ve never heard this album in its entirety, though (like most people on the planet) I’m very familiar with its singles, none of which I liked.

MJ was king of the world at this point - at least, that’s how it looked. With the benefit of hindsight, though, it’s also where it all started to come undone. He did actually expect Bad to outdo Thriller in terms of units shifted so, in a crucial sense, he failed.

It was also at this point that MJ’s eccentricities - Bubbles the chimp, the ‘solar ray chamber’ (or whatever), the purchase of the Elephant Man’s skeleton (not true) - became as big, or bigger than his music. It was downhill all the way from that point.

7. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident

Bad sold 30+ million copies worldwide. Man, what a failure. Most of our favorites wish they could succeed/fail like that.

I know it's all relative, but artistically speaking, this was a greater success than anything he did prior to or after, in my opinion.

Jmac1979 and BlueGangsta like this.
  8. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

Yeah, I feel like equating the fact it sold less than Thriller with it being a failure is a bit rich.

As I’ve already mentioned, I actually think Bad’s a far more consistent album.

innuendo141 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.