Deep Discount deep discounts*

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Marvin, May 9, 2016.

1. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The benefit of SHM-CDs is supposed to be in the physical media itself. If you plan (primarily) on ripping the discs for playback, you'd lose any potential benefits of the SHM-CD materials/manufacturing process. Anecdotally, I don't know of anyone who has a standard CD that buys an SHM-CD containing the exact same mastering unless they are just a collector, like mini LP covers, Japanese pressings, etc.

latheofheaven, samwisefan and SJP like this.
  2. Comicsanstombstone

Comicsanstombstone Forum Resident

I think they generally do, a bit, but perhaps I’m just convincing myself. I thought about getting the SHM “The Idiot”, but I can’t imagine it being a sonic marvel whatever the manufacturing quality - the production sound on that record is what it is; the same applies to the TV Eye live tracks on disc 2, I’m happy with my bargain bin original issues. :)

latheofheaven and samwisefan like this.
  3. samwisefan

samwisefan Forum Resident

What do you think the likelihood is of a Japanese SHM-CD being a different mastering? I read recently about The Beatles "Let It Be" Japanese boxed set containing a different version of the Glyn Johns 1969 "Get Back" LP than the rest of the world, so it had me wondering if they do their own mastering over there.

latheofheaven likes this.
  4. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

That's a harder one and requires you to do your research. In general (and mind you, this is a very rough "rule of thumb"), if the SHM-CD is released around the same time as the, shall we say "mainstream release", the mastering is, more often than not, the same. The "Let It Be" situation is rare, but it does happen (obviously). It's usually more likely that the SHM edition will have an extra track or two or some additional swag (like a poster or postcards) for the Japanese market than a completely different mix/mastering. IF the SHM-CD comes out at a different (later) time, however, it might have a different mastering. A perfect example is the "Flexible Strategies" CD from the Police that is included in their "Every Move You Make" Complete Studio Recordings boxed set. The disc in that set has (in my opinion) too much digital limiting applied. However, the Japanese released the disc as a stand alone about a year to a year and a half later, and reports are it's much more dynamic and sounds great. Again, all of this is just a very rough guide. Doing research on a forum like this is your best bet, as someone will eventually post details of any differences between the Japanese and rest of world releases.

5. Comicsanstombstone

Comicsanstombstone Forum Resident

I meant “Lust for Life”, obv - I’m the idiot. ;)

6. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Clear vinyl AVB and various color Leo Sayer vinyl.

samwisefan, ATMP and latheofheaven like this.
  7. popscene

popscene Senior Member

I ordered the Gene vinyl box, and then came back for more...not a bad haul!

Badbea [Import]
    Edwyn Collins
    CD
    1 $5.05 $5.05

Continental Drift (Various Artists)
    Various Artists
    LP
    1 $4.32 $4.32

Dream Kid [Import]
    The Sutherland Brothers
    CD
    1 $4.24 $4.24

From The Budokan Tokyo Fm 1982 [Import]
    Japan
    CD
    1 $4.72 $4.72

Late Night Movies All Night Brainstorms [Import]

Doctors of Madness
    CD
    1 $4.45 $4.45

Los Secretos (180-Gram Vinyl) [Import]

Los Secretos
    LP
    1 $6.87 $6.87

Man of the World: Anthology [Import]

Peter Green
    CD
    1 $4.11 $4.11

Rebel Kind: Anthology 1972-2020 (3CD Capacity Wallet) [Import]

Philip Rambow
    CD
    1 $5.61 $5.61

Ten Classic Albums Plus Singles [Import]

B.B. King
    CD
    1 $4.25 $4.25

Total (after NORAH coupon)
    $42.30

Davidmk5, samwisefan, hutlock and 5 others like this.
  8. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Great Price on that Phillip Rambow set!

popscene and latheofheaven like this.
  9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

gene box shipped for me as well as everything else i ordered! it's a miracle!

not sure i'll really listen to the heaven 17 box but it'll go in the queue along with my still unlistened to showaddywaddy set...

Davidmk5, Jspmike, popscene and 3 others like this.
  10. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Thanks for the lead on Badbea. I just ordered it outright, paying for shipping still makes this a tremendous deal.

Yes, excellent shipment to cancellation ratio this time around. My only reject was the Revillos box which was quite late in the game but still showed as available.

I too ordered Gene, in all three variants (vinyl box, CD box and greatest hits vinyl). The Heaven 17 should be pretty cool even though I already have two of the albums in the box. Bigger Than America is just a notch below their best work and Naked As Advertised has some nice re-recordings of earlier hits. This box shouldn't disappoint.

Here are a couple oddballs that are still showing as available in the bin.

1) $8.85, Japan import version. Haven't heard them but with Nick Beggs on bass, it has to be good!
    [​IMG]
    Fish On Friday – Black Rain
    Label: Esoteric Antenna – EANTCD 1084
    Format:
    CD, Album, Stereo
    Released: Apr 17, 2020
    Genre: Rock
    Style: Prog Rock

2) $10.44, Japan SHM mini-LP sleeve version.
    [​IMG]
    This Heat – Health And Efficiency

This Heat – Health And Efficiency
    Label: Belle Antique – BELLE 203325
    Format:
    CD, EP, Limited Edition, Reissue, Remastered, Paper Sleeve
    Released: Jul 25, 2020
    Genre: Electronic, Rock
    Style: Art Rock, Avantgarde, Experimental

3) There are three Gregory Isaacs titles on vinyl in the bin, all in the $7 range. I don't have a ton of his music but like what I've heard.

4) The newest Levellers album for $5 and change.
    [​IMG]
    Levellers* ‎– Peace
    Genre:
    Rock
    Style:
    Folk Rock
    Year:

11. wza97

wza97 Forum Resident

Somehow I was unfamiliar with Gene despite being in college in the mid 90s. I streamed Olympian, liked it and now I'm $55 lighter after getting the CD box and greatest hits vinyl, plus Golden Earring Moontan deluxe CD. Damn this forum...

12. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Damn, Moontan would have been a perfect add to my Edwin Collins order to get free shipping. Oh well. Yours was well played. Looks as if you used the 10% off $40+ coupon as well.

*** Edit: I feel better now, Moontan plus Badbea would have been pennies short of free shipping.

samwisefan and latheofheaven like this.
  13. popscene

popscene Senior Member

I'm a little further than you on my Showaddywaddy set. I've listened to the first side of the first album!

14. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

that's uh, $0.94 worth of enjoyment i suppose!

popscene, SJP and latheofheaven like this.
  15. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

This Showaddywaddy thing you speak of. Y'all are more hopeless than I!!!

I hope it eventually brings you $18.77 of pleasure, or whatever you paid for it.

16. popscene

popscene Senior Member

Oy...the bin is once again a dangerous place to be. I went back and noticed they had the last Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever LP in there - and then found a couple of interesting MOV releases.

Sideways To New Italy [Blue Colored Vinyl] [Import]Rolling Blackouts C. F.098787136005LPQty: 1 | $10.21 (ea)
    Availability: In Stock
    $10.21

Abstract Prince [Limited Gold Colored Vinyl] [Import]Mike Tingley602508152207LPQty: 1 | $8.92 (ea)
    Availability: In Stock
    $8.92

From The Workshop [Limited Silver Colored Vinyl] [Import]Sandy Coast602508479458LPQty: 1 | $8.92 (ea)

I wasn't at all familiar with Mike Tingley, and then this description sucked me in quick. Sounds right up my alley:

"Limited 180gm audiophile vinyl LP pressing. Mike Tingley's album The Abstract Prince is a great late '60s Orchestral Baroque Pop album with psychedelic sounds all over it. The album focuses on different aspects of life, such as love, loneliness, finding your own truth, but also the ongoing Vietnam war during the time this album was recorded. This hidden treasure remained almost un-findable for a long time, but is now finally available again on vinyl."

17. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Aw damn it! I paid full price for Badbea like 6 months ago!!!

18. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Disliked a post!!!

19. samwisefan

samwisefan Forum Resident

Did anyone else buy the 5th Anniversary STRANGER THINGS: SEASON ONE - VOLUME 2 "blue star field" vinyl from the Bin recently? I just realized they sent me Volume 1 instead of Volume 2. Did this happen to anyone else? (Confusing, of course, because they share the same album cover aside from the volume notation.)

latheofheaven and SJP like this.
  20. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Thanks for the heads-up on the Gregory Isaacs albums. :cool::thumbsup:

hutlock, latheofheaven and SJP like this.
  21. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Considering the order date was 11/9, the arrival of a rather large box today was quite the surprise. the Genes have landed. I have taken delivery of the best of vinyl and the CD box while the albums box will be part of my personal Christmas shopping service where family members can give me the music I love rather than a shirt and tie. This irritates my wife a bit but my parents especially love this option and of course I am happy to oblige to help with their Christmas shopping.

Any fan of The Smiths should give Gene a try. You cannot help but hear echoes of The Smiths in their music but Gene manages to make a sound all their own. The CD box is all that is still available in the bin and is an absolute bargain.

22. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

can't stress how excited i am to get that gene box! i had no idea it existed. really need to pay more attention to what that demon label is doing, i guess!

23. grouploner

grouploner Forum Resident

Apologies for side-tracking the thread, but as someone who has almost everything this band put out on vinyl and CD, had purchased all of the Gene albums on vinyl when they were originally released, as well as buying the above-mentioned vinyl box when it came out, it's kind of nice to see the positive comments. Really good to see people FINALLY talking about (and hopefully enjoying) one of my favorite bands of the 1990s. I always loved this band's work (especially Martin Rossiter's voice), and really felt as though no one else (in my crowd, anyway) really knew who they were when they were around.

Comparisons to The Smiths are definitely valid, but they went well beyond that musically after the first 2 records. And if you like what you hear and would want to 'go beyond', the Martin Rossiter solo release "The Defenestration of St. Martin" from 2012 is really good. (Musically, not quite the same though...not really 'rock', more introspective and keyboard based for sure. But very strong, with very high quality songwriting. And boy, am I glad I got the vinyl of THAT when it was first released after seeing the current prices!)

Just out of curiosity (and I know I'll regret asking)...what were they asking for the Gene vinyl box?

And the "best of vinyl" that you mentioned... is that the "Yours For The Taking" compilation? I still need that one, but if that's what you were referring to, I missed that one in the bargain bin unfortunately. (I'm still going to buy that one eventually, so if anyone listens and decides it's not for them, I'd appreciate a PM, lol.)

Originally, I passed on the CD albums box, as I had the original CD's and all of the Demon "2CD book-style" sets that were reissued in 2014; so therefore had more material than was in the box. However, for less than $3 per disc I'm adding the CD box to my Gene collection as well. I appreciate the heads up on that, and hope that all the folks who weren't familiar with the band enjoy these releases!

24. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i'll answer this one for you: it was around $70 before discount via popmarket.com

latheofheaven, grouploner and SJP like this.
  25. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

The Gene vinyl box in the $70-80 range on DD with a 10% discount but the addition of a heavy item shipping charge. Popmarket was certainly a better deal of an already tremendous deal.

latheofheaven and grouploner like this.