SH Spotlight The Young Rascals, 1967, candid photos from the GROOVIN' recording sessions. Lost for 50 years!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

That big interview in Discoveries magazine in the mid-90's mentioned that Dino (who's the band's archivist) has copies of some of those including a alternate take of "How Can I Be Sure" that's in 6/8 time, why he's sitting on those we'll never know.

My uncle who engineered First Take, Volunteered Slavery, Silver Cycles and a few other Atlantic LP's told me that, he said it was "substandard tape which wouldn't line up on the machine" also "dog **** on plastic film" was another term he used. He forgot the brand name.
    Apparently Ahmet Ertegen was getting kickbacks from the tape manufacturer to use it in the studio.

Me thinks the tape manufacturer was Audio Magnetics which is from the late 60's and was pretty rotten stuff, their cassettes were the worst.

[​IMG]

2. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I remember Bob (the owner of the store) asked Tom Dowd about the fire and what was lost, Tom's answer was..........................."no comment".
    You wonder if it was a inside job.

Steve Litos likes this.
  3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Atlantic vault fire

4. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

Great info!

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Reopened by request.

Lurgan Lad and Steve Litos like this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

It looks like Chris is using three sets of Ampex MX-10 mic preamps. Wow, this really was an all-tube recording. Forgot about that.

I used an Ampex MX-35 to remix JUDY GARLAND. Ran her voice through it. Made a world of (good) difference.

Steve Litos likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

And the sound took a nosedive when that happened!

hoggydoggy likes this.
  8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There were some sessions at A&R and Talentmasters, but most sessions were always at Atlantic. And some of the outside sessions were finished at Atlantic.

9. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Not exactly a "Vault" fire. Unless you consider a empty old store a vault. I was in High School when that happened. Surrounding fire departments responded, my fathers department being one of them. I visited that store many times shopping with my mother when I was younger.

Steve Litos likes this.
  10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

[​IMG]

Steve Litos likes this.
  11. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Thanks for giving me a heads up on that fire a while back luc when I was trying to figure out which fire it was in Long Branch. I knew a lot of those firemen back then who were friends with my father.

Steve Litos and lukpac like this.
  12. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Lots of interesting photos :righton:.