Sky Arts and BBC TV- What's on Today**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Sep 26, 2020.

1. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Enjoyed the 1976 Linda Ronstadt concert last night, not seen that before.

arthurprecarious and Rob6899 like this.
  2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

3. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

That Buddy Guy doc on sky is great. What a gentleman.

HotblackDesiato and Gavaxeman like this.
  4. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Watched a 2 hour documentary on Runrig last night on Sky Arts, ‘There must be a Place’.

I’m not a big fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I do admire them greatly. It’s a beautifully made film, the two hours just flew by. Some great footage from their early days.

Think it’s repeated later in the week.

bob60 and Porkpie like this.
  5. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I missed the start of this, so if it's repeated soon that'll be great :)

EG.

wallpaperman likes this.
  6. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

I'm really enjoying this Kinks set on whistle test. Ray kinda apologising for playing Celluloid Hero's.... cos it was on a "loser album". Erm no.

7. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Very good. I fall more in love every time I see and hear her.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  8. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have that one recorded. I only just got round to the Zappa documentary this past weekend!

Rob6899 and Eric_Generic like this.
  9. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

I watched that this weekend too. It was very good. I keep trying to get into Zappa and not following through for some reason. Guy was a talent.

Bink and Eric_Generic like this.
  10. Bink

I am in the same position with Zappa. I have We're Only In It For The Money, but he is one of those artists who seems to have such a large back catalogue that it can be daunting, which is why it's good to see documentaries like this.

Rob6899 and Eric_Generic like this.
  11. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

I got a few albums which are all very good and I would recommend. One Size Fits All, The Grand Wazoo, Joe's Garage 2 and 3. As kids we listened to Joe's Garage particularly for Stick It Out....if you hear it you'll know why we liked it as spotty teenagers.... I've been listening to Shut up and Play yer Guitar a lot. I find his lyrics turn me off a little bit.
    His version of Whippin Post is up there with Skydogs IMO, I forget which album that's on.

Bink likes this.
  12. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Them or US. Zappa album. Brilliant.

Bink likes this.
  13. Watching for the second time. Fantastic. What a gent. Think I'm heading on a Buddy Guy trip. Bought the Damn Right, I Got The Blues LP from '91 a few months ago. I think that was the first one I heard, though my dad played him a lot so BG must have got in my brain whilst I was playing with my toys back in the 70's! Got some of his LP's with Junior Wells which are fantastic too.

Rob6899 likes this.
  14. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

I'm seriously going on a Buddy trip. Any recommendations? I have Buddy and Junior Play the Blues.

15. Bink

Flicking through the TV listing for next week, I see there is a 2 hour Bob Dylan 'profile' on Sky Arts on Monday evening. It will be interesting to see if this is a rarity or just one of the more well known documentaries.

Rob6899 likes this.
  16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

17. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

18. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Runrig doc is repeated tonight on Sky Arts at 11.40 :)

Almost missed it again.

EG.

19. Bink

It's worth mentioning that BBC2 have a Paul McCartney night tomorrow featuring:

Paul McCartney at the BBC - this is a new compilation of BBC clips so am looking forward to this. It is longer than most other episodes in the 'At the BBC' series.

Live at the Cavern 2018 - this was previously shown last Christmas. Worth watching if you missed it.

Meets Idris Elba - when Idris interviewed Paul last year. Interesting to watch once. Don't expect anything you haven't heard in any previous interviews.

Gavaxeman and Eric_Generic like this.
  20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

21. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Just watching Paul McCartney at the BBC on BBC 2 now.
    Looking forward to the whole night. Pizza and Beer ordered.
    Two of the clips were from 2013. It seems that 2013 is when his vocals started to get a bit shot. Didn't sound great vocally.

Bink likes this.
  22. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Pretentious captions from work experience, I could do without.

This reminds me that I haven't seen McCartney on TV since about 2007. Most of this is new as far as I'm concerned!

EG.

JBOO and Bink like this.
  23. Bink

The first few clips were familiar to me but it was nice seeing a clip of Yesterday from the 1979 tour which I hadn't seen before.

carrolls likes this.
  24. Bink

The caption that made me laugh out loud was "McCartney has always mixed the macro with the micro with great aplomb' lol.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  25. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

As with any Live stuff, quality varies. Some of these performances aren't great, others are pretty good.

EG.

Bink likes this.