Walmart color vinyl

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Tjazz, Jan 24, 2021.

1. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

again: it is not the same as the 2011 pressing. it's an entirely different cut.

i'm not sure why someone added that to the discogs notes but if it's still there when i receive my copy, i shall clean that up.

MikeInFla likes this.
  2. cyngus

cyngus Forum Resident

Yes going by discogs info and the jacket stating mastered by George Marino 2011.

What you are saying now makes sense to my ears. Thanks for the info.

So it appears the Marino master was used, eq’ed and cut elsewhere. Checked the dead wax and it has SST, & MPO. :shake:

MikeInFla and GentleSenator like this.
  3. Tattooed Headshrinker

Tattooed Headshrinker Accidentally Like A Martyr

I picked the Motley Crue and Kiss records. Don’t know anything about the mastering, pressing, etc., but I hope they sound good.

Davidmk5 and MikeInFla like this.
  4. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Still curious to know if the Kiss album is original recordings or re-records from Sonic Boom.

5. Tattooed Headshrinker

Tattooed Headshrinker Accidentally Like A Martyr

They released it on CD a few years ago. It’s the original recordings.

Christopher B, JasonA and sbsugar like this.
  6. MikeInFla

Ok good. Might go back later and pick it up.

7. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Coltrane - Love Supreme blue vinyl
    Wonder about the provenance of this one, prob same mastering as the orange Target version(?)
    EDIT: According to discogs, it is the RKS mastering

8. MikeInFla

Listened to the first 2 tracks on "Diary" today. Sounded OK to me but it wasn't playing loud (everyone was still in bed). Really, I have nothing to compare it to sound-wise. The only other version I have is on CD with the ugly cover:
    [​IMG]
    I hate when I CD is reissued with lame borders around the original artwork. It has been years since I have played the CD. Curious to know what others may hear on this latest vinyl release but to my ears it sounded OK.

9. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Those ONNY releases were the ones that had re-recorded rhythm tracks, correct? I avoided them because of the awful covers as well.

KDubATX likes this.
  10. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

I was pretty happy with my copy. Clean, quiet, flat and thought it sounded great turned up. The ELO best of was a disappointment though. Pretty crackly throughout all 4 sides.

11. MikeInFla

I am not sure, I would have to dig them out and check but discogs has them listed as 1995. I think the additional bass and drums tracks were recorded in 2001 or 2002?

Ozzy, slightly warped but doesn't impact play (at least to my ears). Again, the first 2 tracks on the record sounded fine to me but I had nothing to compare. Also played Side 4 of ELO this morning and it was quiet but no idea how the other sides sound. Will have more time in the coming weeks to play them and give them a full listen and see how they sound.

sbsugar and jason202 like this.
  12. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

No , the Re=records came years after these one's , the Re-recorded Drums/Bass went back to the full cover artwork .

MikeInFla likes this.
  13. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Thanks for clearing that up.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  14. MikeInFla

Sounds pretty good, gave it a spin this morning. Boy, this thing is RED hahaha. I have a couple of other red albums and they are translucent. This one is candy apple red to the core.
    [​IMG]

15. DailyHiFi

DailyHiFi Forum Resident

I can confirm its the RKS deadwax. Slightly higher noise floor compared to the AS release with same plating but negligible. At $15 its a no brainer.

16. MikeInFla

I wonder if they will do this sale again on the actual Black Friday? Would be cool. I remember last year all records were $15 and I didn't know about it so I missed out. This year I did not realize it was "select titles" so the first thing I did was go to the small record section and grabbed the reissue of "Momentary Lapse Of Reason" and "Live At Knebworth" (Pink Floyd) and I scanned them with my phone. Both came up at regular price and so did everything else I scanned. It wasn't until I left the area that I found the display with the select titles. Never did make it back to Walmart to pick up Kiss so I missed out. That's why I am hoping they run it again.

As someone else pointed out, plenty of Hall & Oates at my store as well. I would have picked that one up too but already have an original copy so there was no need for me to have another as the one I have plays just fine.

17. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

When I went to a Walmart a few miles from me they had the set-up with all of the $15 records. I went later in the day and most of the titles were still there. However, when I went to the actual vinyl section in the electronics department someone went through like a tiger tearing into a hyena. I mean there were LPs all over the bottom shelf, picked and looked through. Made me wonder if things other than the select titles were ringing up at a reduced price--or maybe people were just rummaging through with no regard for the employee that has to clean all of it up.

MikeInFla likes this.
  18. MikeInFla

Same in mine. Many of the "regular" priced albums were not even on display. They were in a pile behind the Crosley mess. I did check through them though to see if any were on sale (I just used the Walmart app and scanned prices - for some reason our Walmart has removed all the remote price checkers that were attached to poles in the store so I checked the app and it has a price checker). Out of the "regular" albums I only found Motley Crue for $15 but since I have that on CD I wasn't interested. That's when I left electronics and saw a bunch of Blu ray discs on sale. I decided to look them over but most of them were Disney and Marvel titles which I can see on Disney+. On the backside of the display were the $15 LP's. They had a good amount of everything so I did not buy anything initially. As the day went on I decided on Ozzy and Kiss. After work I went back and they still had plenty of everything. I grabbed Kiss and Ozzy and then started thinking that since Tommy & Eric were on the front cover these might be the re-recorded versions that were featured on Sonic Boom and even at $15 that is a no-sale for me. So I put it back and got ELO (and later because of this thread I found out the Kiss songs are indeed the original versions).

So if the sale goes back up on the "real" Black Friday I'll grab Kiss then. If it doesn't, no big deal as I have all the Kiss I want on CD already but don't own any records by them.

Boomy likes this.
  19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I could be completely wrong, but IIRC, the sale last year did not open up again on black friday. I’d be surprised if this year’s sale reopens on black friday, but you never know. I guess we’ll find out in a week.

sbsugar and MikeInFla like this.
  20. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

[​IMG]

I did not see Joan Jett's Greatest Hits in the store ($15 sale), but it was listed as in stock online at the same store. I ordered it for local pickup and they could not find it either, so Walmart offered to ship it to me at no extra charge.

21. MikeInFla

Went back today just to look around and the vinyl section is a mess. Made this short video. I didn't see any of the records that were previously on sale except Journey.

Davidmk5 and black sheriff like this.
  22. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Thanks for the video! I guess they don't know stacking vinyl that way, especially with as many there are in the stack, is pretty bad for the disc. Geez!

MikeInFla likes this.
  23. U2Achtung1

U2Achtung1 Forum Resident

How does the Joan Jett sound? Haven't opened yet.

24. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

25. MikeInFla

Good deal for $9. Picked up ELO for $15 and that was a good deal. I'd skip that Hendrix release tho, it's only disc 2 out of the double set even tho it looks cool.

JasonA likes this.