Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Renaud Capucon
    Gautier Capucon
    Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester
    Myung-whun Chung, conductor
    Brahms: Double Concerto for Violin, Cello & Orchestra; Clarinet Quintet.
    Virgin Classics, 2007

Wonderful playing on this disc which includes Brahms last symphonic composition. The recorded sound is very good, especially compared with some of the Virgin Classics nineties British recordings. I have the Virgin Classics label, not the later Erato.
    Paul Meyer is an excellent clarinetist in the Quintet.
    [​IMG]

WaterLemon and Eigenvector like this.
  2. Mild Mavis

Mild Mavis Forum Resident

Ahh, I get it. I'll have to check out the orchestral works on that set even though I'm not a huge fan of HVK.

3. Mild Mavis

I'll have to check this out as well. I only recently discovered Renaud Capucon :sigh: and I love his sound.

dale 88 likes this.
  4. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Both excellent versions so the quality discussion is almost sorted :agree:

George P likes this.
  5. dale 88

Another excellent Dvorak Cello Concerto along with the Lalo Cello Concerto.
    Johannes Moser
    PKF-Prague Philharmonia
    Jakub Hrusa
    Pentatone, 2015
    SACD/CD
    [​IMG]

TonyACT and George P like this.
  6. dale 88

Eldbjorg Hemsing, violin
    Antwerp Symphony Orchestra
    Alan Buribayev, conductor
    Dvorak: Violin Concerto
    Suk: Fantasy & Love Song
    Bis, 2018
    SACD/CD
    A very fine violinist provides an excellent interpretation of the Dvorak Violin Concerto. The Suk pieces are also wonderful

[​IMG]

Mild Mavis, George P and TonyACT like this.
  7. dale 88

I enjoyed this version of Aranjuez.
    Thibaut Garcia, guitar
    Orchestre National du Capitole de Toulouse
    Ben Glassberg
    Erato, 2020
    Rodrigo: Concierto de Aranjuez
    La Maza: Sacrificio
    Tansman: Musique de cour
    De Visee: Suite in A minor

[​IMG]

TonyACT, Mild Mavis and George P like this.
  8. Mild Mavis

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One of my very favourite pieces of music is Schubert's piano sonata in B-flat D960. I have at least eight versions including this one by the great Artur Rubenstein. However this would not figure in my favourite versions. Excellent piano playing as you'd expect but, to me, it doesn't demonstrate the emotions Schubert must have felt as he wrote this. One can only imagine but, by all accounts, he knew he was only weeks from death and must have felt despair, sorrow, anger and maybe even resignation. If I could only keep two, and surely everyone needs two copies of this masterpiece, they would be those of Sviatoslav Richter and Khatia Buniatishvili. I know KB's version is much maligned but for me it is the most emotionally touching. As regards SR; could he ever fail to move you?
    Edit. NB this only applies to versions I own or have listened to seriously.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  9. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Hi MM,

It's funny, when I first was recommended to try some of Richter's recordings I honestly did not get what the fuss was about. But over time, certain recordings, like his Schubert, for example, pulled me in deeply. This got me to try his Beethoven, his Debussy, his Bach, his Rachmaninoff, etc. The more of his recordings I listened to, many of them live, unedited, the more I felt just as you describe above. I'll share just one favorite, short recording of his that helped opened my eyes to his artistry:

Mild Mavis and dale 88 like this.
  10. Mild Mavis

Music is my life blood although I can't play a note. However posts like yours give me hope that there is, amongst some, a serious appreciation of how important serious music is in this strange world we live in.

Zafu and George P like this.
  11. dale 88

Coincidentally, both the Markevitch Eloquence DGG box and the Muti Warner box both have for the first disc the Cherubini Requiem.
    Igor Markevitch
    Czech Philharmonic Orchestra
    DGG, 1963
    [​IMG]

Riccardo Muti
    New Philharmonia Orchestra
    Warner (EMI) 1973
    [​IMG]

In my opinion, the Markevitch is the one to hear. Better, thought out dynamics for both the chorus and orchestra, better performance and better sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. George P

Now enjoying a third spin of this set. I continue to marvel at the beauty of the playing and the sound, especially the wide, expressive dynamic range.

[​IMG]

WaterLemon and Mild Mavis like this.
  13. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

In for the long haul

[​IMG]

14. Mild Mavis

[​IMG]
    Having listened to this on Qobuz I am so gobsmacked at how good it is that I'm going to purchase a copy and give all my other ( four, I think) versions to the charity shop. There is a beauty in this version and their tone that I've never felt before.
    I am really in awe of the Pavel Haas Quartet having a few of their CDs, mostly Dvorak and Smetana. How I've missed this I don't know.
    I also admit to having a penchant for Czech music and musicians. The Smetana Trio and Jiri Cechova in particular come to mind.

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  15. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I finally found this set at a good price, spinning now:

[​IMG]
    Bach: Brandenburg Concertos & Orchestral Suites. Masaaki Suzuki / Bach Collegium Japan. BIS

dale 88 and Mild Mavis like this.
  16. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Still in awe of rediscovering vinyl after nearly 40 years, I must say discogs is a god-send. Got this for $7 mint and OMG, it's dead silent and what a gorgeous recording and rendition. As Grace Slick once wrote, "I'm so full of love, I can burst apart and start to cry"
    [​IMG]

Zafu

Mild Mavis, George P and Eigenvector like this.
  17. George P

[​IMG]

After a long time deliberating over whether I should get this set (I already own the Anda and Perahia sets, along with a ton of individual and multiple recordings by Serkin, Casadesus, Moravec, Haskil, Annie Fischer, Solomon, Kempff, Backhaus, Richter, Rubinstein and Kraus), I decided to grab it when a reasonable copy popped up on amazon. Disc one is playing (PC 5, 6 and 8) and I am already glad I added this one to the list. Vegh's conducting is enthusiastic and the sound quality is excellent.

Zafu, WaterLemon, Eigenvector and 2 others like this.
  18. George P

On second thought, the sound quality of the orchestra is excellent, but the piano lacks clarity, the imaging comes across as blurred. Anyone else hearing this?

19. dale 88

[​IMG]
    These Taneyev pieces are well played.

Neeme Jarvi
    Philharmonia Orchestra
    Chandos, 1992

Taneyev: Overture, The Oresteia (premier recording)
    Taneyev: Symphony No. 4

20. Mild Mavis

[​IMG]
    After listening to Radio 3's composer of the week, and this week it being Jean Sibelius, my curiosity was piqued. I think we all know the symphonies, the violin concerto and the tone poems but it seems there is a lot more to the man than that. I started, on Qobuz, with string quartets and the trios but I wasn't really in the mood. I then found this and I have to admit it does have a certain quality which appeals to me. I shall be giving it a few more listens.

George P likes this.
  21. George P

I recall a piano class I took in college where I needed to choose a recording of Chopin's second sonata to listen to/study. It came down to Andsnes and Rubinstein and in the end, Andsnes won out. I really should check out more of his recordings. I imagine that at some point there will be a nice big box released.

Mild Mavis likes this.
  22. George P

[​IMG]

Speaking of Rubinstein and Chopin. Now enjoying his first (of three) traversal of the complete Mazurkas. I have always enjoyed Rubinstein's early recordings. They are frequently more imaginative, more creative that his later recordings. Transfers are, as always, expertly done by Ward Marston. The sound is remarkably vivid, with a nice piano tone and not too much surface noise.

Mild Mavis likes this.
  23. Mild Mavis

I have to admit to not having heard pf him till now. My excuse is there are just so many amazing musicians:sigh:.

24. George P

And so little time. :sigh:

Today I returned a 2CD set that was defective and exchanged it for this CD, which is by a composer I have never heard of before. I am an admirer of Zimerman's work, however, so it seemed like a safe bet. I won't have time to listen to it for a day or two, but I see the entire thing has been uploaded to youtube:

25. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this recent acquisition.