New to 5.1, can't get a DVD with DTS Digital Surround to play in 5.1 rather than stereo*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Geordiepete, May 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Im assuming ur avr is HDMI inputs ...just get a cheap sony ex X800 or 800m2 which plays everything bluray sacd n DVDA so u can play sacd inaddition to bluray in 5.1. Also atmos mixes downmix to 5.1 like YELLO Point album is Atmos mixed but sounds great in 5.1 trust me
    Also Santana n those Dutton sacds in Quad are just breathtaking

Geordiepete and Sterling1 like this.
  2. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer Thread Starter

Yup, my 5.1 receiver has HDMI ports. Can't find any Sony EX X 800 (mk 1 or 2). Do you mean this, the Sony UBP-X800 mk 2? I guess UBP means 'universal blu-ray player'. $300 is still a bit much for the ability to add usually costly SACDs to my collections, but a universal disc player that can play DVD-A and all the rest is an attractive proposition, if I can find a decent used one one day. Thanks!

Audiowannabee likes this.
  3. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

Sacd players can be found in goodwills sometimes for cheap, watch for the logo.

Geordiepete likes this.
  4. Geordiepete

What? Gah, I wish the edit function was open a bit longer! I meant:

I tend now to go for surround sound albums in blu-ray format (and sometimes DVD).​

Plan9 likes this.
  5. Audiowannabee

Almost All DVDA will play on ur bluray player just not in hi rez...theyll play as Video so buy em n enjoy

6. Geordiepete

Yes, I've worked that out from experience, thanks. That one DVD-A, the King Crimson Larks' Tongues, is the only one with this problem I've encountered. Not that I have very many multichannel audio albums, but reading around, and by responses on this forum, it doesn't seem to be a common problem. Speaking of multichannel, I thought the Genesis Selling England 5.1 blu-ray was out of print, but I have a copy on order that is due to arrive in the next few weeks (touch wood).

I do tend to favour high-res over lossy, but to me, that usually makes more of an impactful difference with headphones than over speakers, and so long as the lossy is at least AAC quality, it's OK over speakers.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  7. Audiowannabee

I only do speakers...its the air between the instruments when listening Quad or 5.1 :)

Geordiepete likes this.
  8. C.Ludwig

C.Ludwig Well-Known Member

For you the Sony UBP-X800Mk2 might satisfy. It reads most disc variations and delivers DSD from SACDs. It also sends 5.1 SACD via HDMI to surround sound processor.

Plan9 and Geordiepete like this.
  9. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    As mentioned by some contributors to this thread the Sony UBP-X800Mk2 seems ideal for you and right now it appears to be the least expensive player out there, maybe the only one, which will deliver 5.1 via HDMI to an AVR , or Pre-Pro. I have one that is connected to a 2.1 Marantz NR1200 Receiver. I use it to play the stereo layer of Hybrid SACDs from the Sony. The sound is indistinguishable from stereo SACD played via an OPPO-205, outputting analog to the same receiver, meaning the Receiver and OPPO DACs sound similar. At any rate, I suspect the Sony is the only solution out there today which will satisfy.

Geordiepete likes this.
  10. Geordiepete

Gosh, I know so little about all this. Don't Oppos deliver 5.1 via HDMI to AVRs? What do they use instead, optical cable? I don't have any SACDs and am likely to continue buying 5.1 music as blu-rays and downloads. From what I gather, if there is a blu-ray version, the musical info on there is the same as what's on the SACD, if there is one of each.

11. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

Oppo is over hyped and dead. After you get that Sony Blu-Ray+SACD player, this could be your first SACD. It is on sale for 13 bucks.
    https://www.amazon.com/Dire-Straits-Brothers-Arms/dp/B0009A21R6

12. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

The Oppos deliver 5.1 via HDMI. In fact, apart from lossy audio tracks (the original Dolby Digital and dts) optical digital doesn't have the bandwidth to carry surround sound. In fact, in the early days of dvd-audio and SACD the only way to listen to the full range surround sound was via multichannel analog in/outs.

C.Ludwig and Geordiepete like this.
  13. Geordiepete

Hmm, that is interesting. (I do sort of feel like I've accidentally wandered into a proselytizing coven—come join us! :))

Audiowannabee and Plan9 like this.
  14. Geordiepete

OK, so I'm thinking most universal disc players (if that's the right term) I see in the used shops (that'll be here in Japan) or on Black Friday sales and the like for new goods will be transmitting 5.1 in HDMI.

15. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Yes.

Geordiepete likes this.
  16. Geordiepete

Ah, I see there is a budget universal disc player from Panasonic, the DMP-BDT180EB. It plays SACD and everything besides, saves 4k blu-rays. Since data is sent by HDMI, TVs and AVRs handle sound and vision details, so the player is essentially a transport, so far as I can see. That is, build quality is a consideration, for longevity, but otherwise, if it works (i.e. transmits the data it's given), it should be fine. Am I missing something?

17. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Are you sure about that? When I look at the listing on Panasonic's website I don't see the SACD logo, just that it can decode DSD (which I assume means that if you have a DSD file on your network that's not on a disc the player will decode it). I also don't see the dvd-audio/MLP logo, so I don't think this player will play the high resolution audio tracks on dvd-audio discs.

Apart from more esoteric brands, I think the only truly universal player available new right now is the Sony.

C.Ludwig likes this.
  18. Geordiepete

The Panasonic DMP-BDT180EB is item 5 on this What Hi-Fi list. They say it plays SACD and DVD-A. I am tempted. Now I might get excommunicated already for mentioning What Hi-Fi, but surely they don't usually list specs that objectively aren't there!

Edit: Or maybe they do!

19. Can Utility

Can Utility Forum Resident

I've got a panny 180 and it's a fine bluray player but it doesnt handle DVD-A. I dont think it did SACD either but Its in the attic so I cant check at the mo.
    If you want a player that will handle DVD-A and SACD it's the Sony 800 mk 2 ( which I now use) or a used oppo.

C.Ludwig likes this.
  20. C.Ludwig

C.Ludwig Well-Known Member

Go to Panasonic for answer. Right now Panasonic does not do stereo or 5.1 SACD, does not process it to analog or output digital DSD/PCM stereo or 5.1 SACD via HDMI.

Geordiepete likes this.
  21. Geordiepete

Oh, What Hi-Fi got it very wrong, then, it appears. Never did rate them highly, but this is too bad an error. Must have no editors over there!

22. Audiowannabee

Damn ur in Japan... U lucky sob how great to be able to enjoy Sony sacd s without having to experience the high prices here in the USA :)

23. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

I have this and it performs very well on 5.1 and multi-channel discs. It does not do ATMOS though. The
    UBP-X800M2 will play ATMOS discs and costs about the same as the older model (if you can find one in good condition) so that would probably be the one to get.

Geordiepete and C.Ludwig like this.
  24. Con

Con Forum Resident

You need to turn off DSD in settings to get DTS hd 5.1

bru87tr likes this.
  25. Geordiepete

They're expensive here, too. That $12 Brothers in Arms someone mentioned is on discount over here , too, but that means it's now $25.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.