Tidal HiFi now $9.99

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by winged creature, Nov 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident Thread Starter

Tim 2 and punkmusick like this.
  2. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Interesting, although given they've effectively been replacing many standard redbook 16/44.1 titles with MQA equivalents, I wonder how that is going to play out? Will they reinstate non-MQA standard flac for redbook-res material?

Tim 2 and Khorn like this.
  3. winged creature

I certainly hope HiFi will be standard redbook with out any of the MQA

4. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Until MQA goes out of business or Tidal drops it’s contract I highly doubt it.

Robert C, Monty12 and audiomixer like this.
  5. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

All of the HiFi files are still available. Nothing was replaced, even if some the 1411 kbps/CD quality HiFi files were becoming inaccessible.

displayname likes this.
  6. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

It is, and TIDAL states as much. That's also what is stated in the email I received this morning from TIDAL. My HiFi account is being "...automatically upgraded to HiFi Plus..." which provides access to Dolby Atmos stuff and MQA blah, blah, blah, all at my current CAN$24 or so. They're pushing the Plus stuff and associated direct-to-artist payment pitch too because they don't want me to step back to regular CD-quality HiFi. But I am going to step over to the less costly tier as soon as it's available because I'll still have CD-quality and I won't have to endure any more nails-on-a-chalkboard MQA.

7. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Yep, the MQA onslaught reminds me of “The Langoliers” by Stephen King.

Shawn and ChrisR2060 like this.
  8. easydek

easydek Well-Known Member

Same

Leroyd likes this.
  9. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

After many years of supporting Tidal, I switched to Amazon Ultra HD and I'm glad I did. Better interface, better selection and with a Prime membership, much, much cheaper.

10. winged creature

I have both Tidal and Spotify, I was waiting for Spotify HiFi now im not so sure what to do

dolsey01, Tim 2 and displayname like this.
  11. beep

beep Senior Member

Quboz is now $12.99 a month, I'm sure Tidal is responding to that too.

benzo and displayname like this.
  12. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

Just got my email, being a Tidal Premium subscriber I've just been upgraded to HiFi for the same cost, very pleased.
    So I now have lossless 16/44 FLAC on Tidal which is confirmed in Roon. The "Master" tier is now the top tier with hi-res MQA.

Tim 2 and Boomy like this.
  13. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

They automatically upgraded my Hi-Fi Plan to "Hi-Fi Plus" (previously called the 'Master' plan?) Am currently on another 3Mo Promo from BestBuy** (I sign up under different email addresses a couple times a year)... Looks like they removed the cheaper Premium Plan for 320kbps AAC option, and introduced the free 160kbps option. Gotta admit, I'm mostly loyal to KCRW & SOMA-FM though...

** Best Buy often has best free/cheap promos for Apple Music, Pandora, Sirius, TIDAL and YouTube Premium... (I rotate thru all of them for my music streaming needs)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  14. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Thanks. I just downgraded to HIFI only. Hope the library doesn't shrink by half.

15. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

They upgraded me to the Hifi Plus tier as well, which I think is exactly what I have now under its old name. For anyone in the states, I’m also on the Best Buy annual plan that effectively reduces the price by 50%. Essentially I subscribe to both Tidal and Qobuz for the same price as a retail subscription to Tidal.

I don’t cycle email addresses so that I can keep my playlists intact plus, after a while, there are some back office people at Tidal that do need to get paid.

16. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

With this new pricing tier it will be interesting to see how many users are willing to pay an extra $10/month for MQA. Not many, I hope.

The good news is that $10/mo is the new commodity pricing for CD quality streaming.

And this is yet another squeeze on Spotify, which has apparently abandoned hifi.

17. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people

I prefer qobuz whenever possible so I downgraded tidal to save some money

18. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

I have been paying $5 per month for Tidal HiFi, based on a promotional rate that subscribers to Third Man Records' Vault subscription get, as long as they remain subscribed to the Vault (which is four vinyl offerings from Third Man Records, once each quarter).

The Third Man Vault subscription is now $65 per quarter, or $260 per year. Before today's rate change, Tidal HiFi was $20 per month, or $240 per year.

The total cost, under the promotional rate, came out to $320 per year for Third Man Vault plus Tidal HiFi, a good deal if you are interested in both services (or you can think of it as paying the normal cost of Tidal HiFi, plus an extra $80 to get the four quarterly vinyl offerings under the Third Man Vault subscription).

The price change for Tidal HiFi, from $20 to $10 (so now only $120 per year), does change the math on doing both services under this promotion. I'm doubtful they would change the promotion to upgrade me to Tidal HiFi Plus (with MQA) or Tidal's family plan (allowing other family members to also use Tidal), at the same $5 I have been paying. I did once contact Tidal about trying to change my Tidal HiFi service to a family plan service, but they said if I changed my service, they would not give me the benefit of the $5 promotional rate (and that promotion would be voided).

DancingSea likes this.
  19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I'm on the TIDAL Free plan, and am listening to it right now.

Bingo Bongo and Tim 2 like this.
  20. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Update: It looks like Tidal automatically updated my account from Tidal HiFi to Tidal HiFi Plus, and is still showing the next billing cycle to be $5. Nice that they did bump me up a tier, with the pricing changes this week, and kept the promotional rate I had been paying.

Tim 2 and DarkSideOfTheMoo like this.
  21. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I was on the fence about keeping tidal or not, now I keep it. Good news in 2021 - those are rare.

kings81 and Tim 2 like this.
  22. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

That was pretty cool to get that boost. I love Tidal--I'm not a huge streamer but I've liked it most out of what I've tried/had thus far.

Tim 2 and Leroyd like this.
  23. Luxmancl38

Luxmancl38 Forum Resident

Dropped Tidal MQA about a month ago and went w/Qobuz. Very happy w/the quality of the sound.

Riktator, SonicCzar and WvL like this.
  24. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

This is good news. Tidal has a nice iOS app, nice MacOS app, decent music discovery, and the ability to stream directly on a device like the Node 2i using Tidal Connect or the Bluesound app. I have dropped Apple Music and Qobuz and switched back. Nice little monthly money saver.

Tim 2 likes this.
  25. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Hmmm. Maybe switch from Spotify? I like Spotifys algorithms for playlists and exploring new music. How is Tidal?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.