Movies That Killed Careers

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JediJones, Apr 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. postscripum

postscripum Forum Resident

I don't want to seem pedantic (oh, go on, then!) but the topic is surely more about movies that killed careers, rather than movies that either killed or immediately preceded deaths?

2. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Yes, it was called "Empty Nest". McNichol didn't go the distance on that show - she quit in the middle of its run in order to deal with her condition.

JediJones and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

I think that post was an attempt at "humor".

Dudley Morris likes this.
  4. Brickie

Brickie Forum Resident

I just read the headline of the thread it was the first thing i thought of. Vic Morrow was one of my fave actors. Sadly missed.

The Shaft films seemed to kill off Richard Roundree. I cant think of much he was in except for the mini series Roots.

5. Brickie

Brickie Forum Resident

No it wasn't was the first thing i thought of.

6. Brickie

Brickie Forum Resident

Well whether its liked or not. The Twighlight Zone and The Crow did kill off Vic Morrow and Brandon Lees movie careers.

The thread says...

Movies That Killed Careers

Cheers.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. postscripum

postscripum Forum Resident

In that case:

Every last movie made by every major movie star, closely followed by every last movie made by everyone else! Pip pip!

8. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident Thread Starter

Those movies killed the actors. It's not quite the same thing as killing a career. Look at Michael Jackson, Elvis, etc. Death can be a great career booster. Brandon Lee definitely became more famous after The Crow.

Uuan and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

I suspect it was actually an attempt at "humour".
    And a darn good one too, made me laugh.

Brickie likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

However you want to justify it, it was a tasteless and tacky comment.

carrick doone and Uuan like this.
  11. Brickie

Brickie Forum Resident

[QUOTE="johnod, post: 27520910, member: 59108" a darn good one too, made me laugh.[/QUOTE]

:cheers:

johnod likes this.
  12. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Don't forget his first movie, Foul Play, which was a very good movie, although Dudley Moore stole it from him.

Spastica and Spaghettiows like this.
  13. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

I don't know if someone mentioned hal ashby. he was on a role in the 1970s, and then in the 1980s he hit the skids.

fr in sc likes this.
  14. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Slow Times at Ridgemont Retirement Home

15. Randall DeBouvre

tony bennett -the oscar
    the movie was a terrible experience for him, and his performance was totally panned. it really killed whatever acting bug he had.

Spaghettiows and fr in sc like this.
  16. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Not necessarily a movie that killed a career, but for Edward Norton, his demands/negotiations for continuing to play the Incredible Hulk did him in. Hence the change to Mark Ruffalo to play the part in the following Marvel movies.

After his breakout role for Primal Fear in 1996, Norton could do no wrong. His career was soaring up until after 2008's Incredible Hulk. After that, I guess he was labeled a PIA to work with. It was just bit parts, uncredited roles, voice work or leads in B-movies. He had a comeback in 2019 with his role in his self-directed movie Motherless Brooklyn.

Apparently, he has a role in the upcoming Knives Out 2 movie that is expected to be released some time in 2022. (The plot for the movie is unknown at this time, but I am guessing he will be the bad guy, while Daniel Craig's main character solves the whodunit crime.)

Matthew Tate and David Campbell like this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

But what specific movie do you think "killed his career"?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Randall DeBouvre

I don't know. after an expressive string of films, he directed a couple of turkeys: second-hand hearts(1981) and looking to get out(1982). he ended up directing the pilot to beverly hill buntz.

19. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I'd say Cage is doing well right now in the niche world. Mandy, Pig, Willy's Wonderland and Color Out In Space have all been well received. All acquired taste movies that aren't going to gross hundreds of millions but I'd say hes getting more respect and people are anticipating his next movies more than when he was doing generic Michael Bay fare. Mandy's already become a cult classic. Hes found his niche in recent years

20. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

I know the Mary Sue people are not fans.

21. Nomad

Nomad Forum Resident

I think the problem with Dudley Moore was that he played the same kind of character in everything he did.

a customer likes this.
  22. Nomad

Nomad Forum Resident

Titanic for me has the most ridiculous casting I have seen for a "Blockbuster" film. I watched it twice and it seems that the casting director just wrote all the names of available actors/actresses, put them in a hat, and randomly drew out names.

Uuan and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Age Of Consent (1969) with James Mason and the young Helen Mirren was a fun flick though...

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Chris Pratt was so horrible in “passengers,” his film with Jennifer Lawrence, that I swear I suddenly saw a lot less of them than what was being promised. Like kissing the new Indiana Jones role goodbye. He was just awful in that movie and killed what could’ve been interesting.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

There's a great documentary about it. Brando was out of his mind and it sounds like Val was a real handful too. Basically got the director fired, etc. When you see the second half of the film where Brando has disappeared completely and Val is sittting in a chair amidst much incoherent mayhem doing a Brando impression, you really have to wonder - he got the director fired so he could make THIS? Only speculation but I think the director of the finished film was Cocaine. Definitely worth watching if you like WTF movies though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.