The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

Maximum Consumption makes me hungry. All the food items listed evoke an American roadside diner from the 70's so it's very nostalgic for me. Also I enjoy how Ray sings two eggs "over light" which sounds exotic to me as opposed to the typical expression "over easy" that I would use. As a bonus "over light" makes a great rhyme with "apple pie". This fun song is also served up with a side order of pathos, to keep things interesting, and piss off the critics.

2. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Sorry to disappoint you.
    Toyota 4Runner.
    I'm more of a practical guy. I need something with snow and off road capability which can also haul my mountain bikes.

mark winstanley and DISKOJOE like this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I'm in Little Rock.

Aussie bacon isn't Canadian bacon lol

There are Farmers markets and such, but it's getting to them. In Aus I could get good food at the supermarket...

DISKOJOE and palisantrancho like this.
  4. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Is there contraband hidden inside?

5. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

What's your beef aren't you telling porkies?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  6. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I can’t say as I have never been to Australia. I have had British bacon though which seems similar. It always appeared to me that it was like a mix of US bacon and Canadian. A bit of the belly and the loin. I have never been to Little Rock or anywhere in Arkansas. I would have thought there would be a grocery store that at least sold quality raccoon meat. :)

7. Robert Tilley

Robert Tilley Forum Resident

On a recent road trip I went out of my way to try a Sonoran hot dog in Tucson. Highly recommended. We go to a unique hot dog place here every so often. They have normal dogs but also a lot of weird but good options. The In N Out dog is a good one.

Menu - Duff's Doggz - American Restaurant in San Diego, CA (duffsdoggz.com)

Back on topic, Everybody's in Showbiz is pretty low on my list of favorite Kinks albums but Celluloid Heroes and Sitting in My Hotel save it.

The late man, DISKOJOE, Zeki and 4 others like this.
  8. mark winstanley

Lol

Yea the bacon is essentially what you said there.

DISKOJOE and palisantrancho like this.
  9. Brettlowden

Brettlowden Forum Resident

I think "nobody's fool" is one of Rays greatest songs.

10. Fischman

Sorry to keep perpetuating the run down this rabbit hole, but.....

... The best Colombian hot dog is also in Arizona. Simon's Hot Dogs in Scottsdale rules on all fronts, but Simon himself is first generation Colombian and that one is truly special.

11. Fischman

Not that I'd ever noticed. But they are addictingly good.

All Down The Line and DISKOJOE like this.
  12. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

"Maximum Consumption"
    I can't think of a song about food that I like. Not even Weird Al songs. I thought this track had run it's course and I look up to see there are still 2-minutes to go. I'll point to what I do like. Dave's backing, often co-lead, vocals are a highlight throughout the song. I don't want to imagine this without it. The short stabbing horns are nice. The draggy beat is fine (at first). The funniest bit is "don't you know that you've got to eat food." Yep, everybody knows that. Sounds like something Brian Wilson would have thrown into one of his songs from his brief Radiant Radish phase.

13. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

And we're closing in on big helpings of apple and pumpkin pie with US Thanksgiving happening next week. but yeah, some great American comfort foods in this song.

14. Wondergirl

Ewwww. Just no.

this is a correct dog: not 100% beef and not with the crunchy skin. Steamed dog...not grilled. classic mustard and relish. If you want to grill the bun with a slather of butter - I can deal with that. NO ketchup.

All Down The Line and DISKOJOE like this.
  15. Wondergirl

and brown mustard like Gulden's. None of that yellow crap.

16. Wondergirl

Right, doc?

DISKOJOE likes this.
  17. I think it's "Dave Davies on lead guitar."

18. mark winstanley

It was certainly a great discovery for me

Brettlowden and DISKOJOE like this.
  19. Wondergirl

Oh ok. LOL I guess I didn't have the headphones up loud enough. At least Ray stopped himself from saying "Dave 'Death of a Clown' Davies". Nice control, Ray!:laugh:

20. Wondergirl

I'm going to have to listen to it a bit more. I certainly haven't given it considerable attention. Could be another grower.

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  21. mark winstanley

I'm still quite surprised at how many of Ray's songs sneak up on you....
    At this rate I'll like Soap Opera by the time we get there :)

22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Ha ha. (I’m beginning my initial exploratory foray into Preservation Act 1. Am keeping my mouth closed for now).

DISKOJOE, mark winstanley and Smiler like this.
  23. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

A tonne of differences :D

24. Wondergirl

I've been doing the same. I'm coming away with a favorable impression, overall.

25. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

Uh-oh... We may all successfully stay civil about our differences about the Kinks, but I fear that hot dogs may take us to nasty places. Will keep quiet...;)

ajsmith, DISKOJOE, Fischman and 2 others like this.