McIntosh Availability

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by imthetxman, Nov 17, 2021.

1. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan Thread Starter

Has McIntosh always been challenging to find? Or are the recent supply chain issues the cause of an inability to find available AMP/Pre-amp equipment?

I've noticed that if you check McIntosh's web site there are a whole bunch of items shown that are no longer available in the marketplace. C22 tube pre-amp for example but there are others.

Tim 2 and trd like this.
  2. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

Rich people have gotten a lot richer during the pandemic. For instance, there have been articles written about how Rolex can't keep up with demand and so the secondhand market for Rolexes is super hot. I know this personally because I recently sold my Rolex that my Aunt gave me (RIP) for $5,100 cash money.

I then turned around and bought...........a McIntosh MC-2105 from the pawn shop for $2,000.

What's my point? It wouldn't surprise me if the shortage is independent of supply chain issues. It could be that demand has increased. Or both.

Bingo Bongo, Kato65, McLover and 2 others like this.
  3. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Hi

I got a nice response from Chuck Hinton the other day in my quest for a new preamp. He said they are super busy with two shifts six days a week. So for anyone wanting a Mc , be patient those guys and ladies over there are working hard. I was interested in the C22 but ended up buying a Zesto Leto for a price I couldn't pass up.

imthetxman likes this.
  4. imthetxman

I can believe that. I work for an industrial automation manufacturer and in my 20+ years of experience I have never seen a more difficult environment.

BrooklynEars, Tim 2 and McLover like this.
  5. Shades-of-Grey

Shades-of-Grey Member

Somewhat related I've had issues with GIK acoustics getting a couple grand worth of sound absorbing panels from them. Ordered in August. At the time it said their lead time was two weeks. Then that two weeks became another two weeks every two weeks up until now lol.

Out of 6 wall panels and 4 corner bass traps I've received 6 items total. 4 of which were damaged. 3 of the bass traps were completely wrecked. I'm talking stripped screws in the wood faceplates, scratches all over the faceplates, chipped edges, just horrible condition. One of the wall panels had damage to rear also where I can't hang it from one side. As far as replacements for what has arrived, I wasn't put in the front of the line as a far as I've been told. It seems I'll be waiting another couple months for them. And last I checked they were saying my items that havent arrived yet now have an ETA of mid December.

My initial contacts with customer service were met with indifference. Once I escalated a manager told me that the customer service reps were new (2 of them that I believe are like their only reps) and hinted at difficulty getting workers in the manufacturing side. So not only are they dealing with delays due to production issues, they apparently have a bunch of newbies and incompetents filling their positions.

I ordered from GIK several years ago and the experience was completely the opposite. Immediate shipping, great product, good communication.

Sadly, I've had a couple of similar issues with other companies since the beginning of the pandemic. None quite this bad though lol.

6. imthetxman

I pinged McIntosh support on this and they cleared it up. They still manufacture everything shown on their website. The reason some of their products might not be available in the marketplace is fairly simple. They sell as fast as they are built. Ex - an order with a dealer for a C22 will likely be filled in two months (approx).

Tim 2, SamS and Humbuster like this.
  7. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

Not audio, but we just recently ordered a dining room set, tables and chairs. 8 month delay, and it's not custom or anything, just some of the parts needed apparently are hard to get to build it. I'm sure the same issues are affecting the audio world too.

8. imthetxman

Supply chain is a total mess right now

mikedifr0923 and wgb113 like this.
  9. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Here's the solution:

[​IMG]

10. imthetxman

11. jcn3

jcn3 Forum Resident

And since no one was going on vacation, that money was spent on discretionary/luxury goods. For most good A/V dealers, business has never been better.

12. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Macintosh’s are readily available here it’s just that they don’t seem to have the flavour that they used to have.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  13. glide

glide Forum Resident

There is a huge supply of McIntosh stuff in local hi-fi shops and even in BestBuy/Magnolia stores near me.

Not sure where OP is looking that the shelves are bare.

14. imthetxman

Was looking for a C22 online

15. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I believe u have a point. It may well be there is a supply line problem, but I'm pretty sure suppliers are happy to raise prices.

imthetxman likes this.
  16. imthetxman

I'm hearing that transportation vendors are upcharging as much as 67%. I do not get directly involved with that side of my organization's business so this is second hand info... and I would also assume they are passing along increases in their costs but the numbers are pretty big... hard not to think there's some profiteering going on.

Lenny99 likes this.
  17. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I traded my Rolex way back for some great cables. Nice watch for use in the desert but I ain’t hangin around no deserts anymore. My first separates system was driven by McIntosh amplifiers. I should have held on to them. Would have been a great investment. :agree:

Jodimilo and Alright4now like this.
  18. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

McIntosh doesn’t allows sales of a lot of their products online, including the C22. You have to go to a brick and mortar, or call the store and order it by phone.

BayouTiger and imthetxman like this.
  19. imthetxman

Yeah I’m kinda figuring that out. Unfortunately I don’t live anywhere near a brick and mortar McIntosh dealer. Not a big deal at this point though. I’m still a long way from actually purchasing. Gonna take a couple years to set aside that kind of $$$
    When I am ready to buy, I’m guessing I can simply call a Mc dealer and order

Jodimilo and snorker like this.
  20. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Is there actual stock or do you just see them on display. Local Magnolia's here have never had any McIntosh actually on the shelf. The stores here have had the same display gear for years. I think they may occasionally had an MA5200 whenI asked some years back, but none of the higher end stuff.

21. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Good to know. I've been considering a new Mac front end, hear there a great match for Sonus Faber.

22. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Ok. But Toonces has been driving cars for over 30 years, according to SNL. Is it so strange that he would have moved on to the big rigs now?

Purplerocks and imthetxman like this.
  23. glide

glide Forum Resident

They have stock, floor models available, etc...

Same with the local hi-fi shop.

This was as of last month.

24. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

There is a 3 to 4 month delay ordering new. I just pre ordered the MDP1100 phono stage ... I'll be pre ordering the just announced C12000 and have been told to expect a similar delay.

25. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

My Mac gear (see profile for my specifics) sit in front of a pear of Olympica IIIs. Sounds gorgeous

Tim 2 likes this.