Audiophile fuses or standard Bussman fuses ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Soundlabs, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

I'm watching this thread from time to time and amazingly it might grow past 75 pages.
    I guess if money is no object it can be good both ways and builds business. Say hello to Mr. fuse..:-plnktn-:

timind likes this.
  2. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

Fuse rolling is the same as tube rolling. Doing both can have a good impact on sound quality. Try it,you have nothing to lose. Of course it's a money management plan. It's still cheaper than buying new equipment.

Elvis Pedalhead and toasty like this.
  3. Agree, just shuffling furniture a small amount, changes in temp/humidity, having one’s head not in the exact same position as before, more/less ear wax from a prior session, etc. can affect the audio when it reaches your ears.

Just Walking, timind and Tourswede like this.
  4. Classic Car Guy

Hey, just messing around guys.. Please continue and Happy Friday.

Ingenieur likes this.
  5. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for jokes the world would be in big trouble. For me it's all a joke. Only if you don't believe your now ears.

6. Classic Car Guy

You guys know its black Friday.. You might get some deal of some stuffs you need.

timind and Ingenieur like this.
  7. I thought it was next Friday?

8. Classic Car Guy

I guess some. I just bought a limited edition watch and they gave me 35% off and a $67.00 vinyl and I just got it for $27.00...
    Or maybe I shouldn't have told you guys so I would just gobble it all for myself..:-plnktn-:

timind, Ingenieur and Shawn like this.
  9. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

What is OCC (Ohno Continuous Cast)?

This confirms what I said in an earlier post (that there is a grain boundary about every 300-400 feet of wire which is what Mr. Lee of Harmonic Technology told me about 25 years ago before I bought Truthlink "single crystal" balanced interconnects to use as mic cables).

"up to 125 meters in length. With only a single crystal in very long lengths, there is an unimpeded free path for the best possible signal"

More "single crystal" wire (just a few of many offered)

UniCrystal OCC Copper wire w/ AirLok - VH Audio

https://audiosensibility.com/blog/

This amp uses it internally.

PrimaLuna Evo 400 Tube Power Amplifier — PrimaLuna USA

"POINT TO POINT WIRING W/ SWISS MADE WIRE
    You spend a lot of money on interconnects. So why have the signal go right from the RCA jacks or speaker terminals into circuit boards with copper traces so thin you can hardly see them? What’s high-end about that?

PrimaLuna employs Point to Point Wiring on all products. The entire signal path, including resistors and capacitors, is painstakingly hand wired with heavy-gauge cable by craftsman.

EVO 300 and EVO 400 models use Swiss-made, silver-plated, oxygen-free continuous crystal (OCC) copper with a Teflon dielectric in the critical signal path for superior signal speed and increased clarity."

10. While I like point-to-point wiring for different reasons, if it made such a huge difference audibly then that Prima Luna model would sound amazingly better than all other amps in its range. That doesn’t seem to be the case.

toasty and avanti1960 like this.
  11. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

The Raven Blackhawk uses a board in their amp. There are lots of guys swear it beats the Prima Luna amps hands down. I have a super modified Jolida 502b amp. I wired it point to point. Then after a year I reinstalled the board. It really didn't make a big difference. So I left the board in.

12. Ilusndweller

Im just posting what is out there, not necessarily "agreeing" or "disagreeing".

I think the vast majority of audiophiles wont be able to tell a difference bw single crystal wire and less pure wire with lots of metallurgical grains (and thus grain boundaries). But I think a very small % more than likely can on a resolving system (but no I dont think there is such thing as true single crystal wire in audio cables, and for the exact reasons Just Walking mentioned). But I could also easily see where some people (of the very small % who I feel can hear differences) might prefer non single crystal wire over single crystal. We all know that best specs dont necessarily equate to preferred sound. I also believe in system synergy and for the lucky few with "golden ears" and a killer/resolving system, they might possibly tweak their system with "copper vs. silver" and/or "single crystal" wire vs. less pure wire with many (more than likely >>trillions, I dont feel like doing research then doing a rough calculation) grain boundaries.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  13. Classic Car Guy

I haven't really seen the part that a printed board "yet" will smoke a point to point. I have experience with primaluna amps low to midrange. I can easily vouch they are in the top 5 tube amps world-wide when it comes to "overall performance". Even the lowest model "it has so much bandwidth" that you wont even feel or think about screw-drivering it anymore. I had several amps along the way that I heavily modified. But the primaluna and my present 300b, I don't even feel like installing a mundorf caps. Not at all. So far the only thing I modded is the RCA socket which is the position I hate the most (upwards). I replaced it with Neutrix and the a solid heavier gauge AC cord.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  14. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

I haven't heard either one of those amps. It's just what I've read and seen on YouTube on them. If one day I replace my Jolida amp I will go with the Raven audio Blackhawk.

15. Classic Car Guy

I been looking at the Raven a while back and it really looks like rock solid and its made in USA. How much for the Blackhawk?

16. Weber

Weber Well-Known Member

The Blackhawk starts at $3,995.00. If you add some nos tubes the cost goes up. Similar cost of the PL amp. The Blackhawk is made in the USA. The PL is made in China.

17. Classic Car Guy

Sounds about right for that's the going rate now on most quality amps..
    [​IMG]

18. Classic Car Guy

I been dreaming about a 2-300B six pack monoblock and SP8 preamp. But I doubt that I can afford it. I hope I win the lotto today and speaking off, I should buy a ticket today. I'm tired of eating taco-bell....:-plnktn-:

19. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

printed ckt. Vs. point to point

It all depends on design and construction.
    Luxman goes to great lengths with their PCB to ensure the shortest path. For line level, fine, for speaker level point to point may be better.

http://www.luxman.com/asset/catalog/l-509x_catalog.pdf

Ilusndweller likes this.
  20. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

i have read that some amp designer's school of thought is that circuit boards allow the shortest signal path possible which they say does improve the sound.

Shawn, Ilusndweller and Ingenieur like this.
  21. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Yep

also advantages in controlling EM fields with shape and routing.

Shawn, avanti1960 and Ilusndweller like this.
  22. Ilusndweller

23. Classic Car Guy

I been looking at this company in UK and a lot of hi-fidelity enthusiast is really recommending them. I mostly concentrate on the exotic tubes. But the more power, the more money.... Unfortunately..:-plnktn-:

ICON AUDIO - Stereo 300 MkII Tube Integrated Amplifier
    Integrated Amp

[​IMG]

24. Ilusndweller

25. Classic Car Guy

Listening to this feels like youre inside the music....:-plnktn-:

Ilusndweller likes this.