Get Back visual grain/noise removal*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ognirats, Oct 19, 2021.

1. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Nice Sergio Leone reference :righton:

2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I really like the idea of a Beatles Pixar movie. I just wasn’t expecting Get Back to be that movie.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Which then begs the question: if Wright told me he thought it looked great but actually didn't and he just wanted to avoid badmouthing, why respond to my tweet at all?

No one would've noticed or cared if he ignored my question.

If this project is as NRed as we fear, it's possible Wright simply likes the look.

Just because he's a major filmmaker doesn't mean he's a purist. I mean, Jackson is pretty freaking "major" himself and obviously he likes the NRed look, and we have ample evidence James Cameron likes heavily NRed versions of his old films.

Plan9, BeatleJWOL and OldSoul like this.
  4. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Wright, Jackson, Cameron, are done. They have not relevance anymore other than cashing the $$$ in.

Cameron mattered in the home-video department in the 80's and 90's. Now he is done, and has been for decades.

It's over. Real fans should crap on this new version, period, until someone who cares remasters it.

It's all business now, nothing to do with the music, or the reason they split.

Recuperation = Wright, Jackson, Cameron.

They are all dead. Criminals.

5. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

"Looked great" doesn't necessarily mean that he didn't have a problem with the noise reduction. I think there was some diplomacy going on but I think it's possible he liked the over all look of the image.

BeatleJWOL and Oatsdad like this.
  6. ognirats

ognirats haruhist Thread Starter

While money definitely seems like an important factor, I don't think it's all about the money

7. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

This might be overstating things a tad.

8. Fab Four Revolution

Fab Four Revolution Forum Resident

Indeed. Likewise, if you watch the trailer for Get Back in 4K on the Disney+ app (which I did on the 4K TV I am watching this on next weekend), you can see a very fine layer of noise over the image. Obviously added post-DNR, given it's consistency and the fact it's too small for 16mm.

OldSoul and ognirats like this.
  9. Fab Four Revolution

Yeah. Peter Jackson recently just became a billionaire from selling part of Weta Digital and was already worth hundreds of millions of dollars before he started working on Get Back. While I'm sure he's happy to be paid whatever he's being paid, if it genuinely was just about the money for him, he would be making huge blockbusters instead of documentaries about World War I or The Beatles that wouldn't pay as much. He's also been a big Beatles fan for some decades now as well.

10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Instead of being thrilled, I'm biting my nails, wondering just how bad they screwed it all up. :(

11. Raf

Raf Senior Member

[​IMG]

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Could be. Though when I add noise to digital, I generally go for the 16mm T200, but I actually color-correct the grain during the pass. So -- once again -- it's not just one setting... there's a bunch of different things you can do in terms of color, brightness, and contrast to the grain. Just like NR, adding grain is not a simple subject. If it's 4K or HDR, I back off the grain. A lot.

I've done that for decades, even in casual conversation. I think at this point, it's automatic, totally in my DNA.

budwhite, PH416156, ognirats and 3 others like this.
  13. Retro Music Man

Retro Music Man Forum Resident

Thanks, that's fascinating. I thought that DVNR was a generic term for "digital video noise reduction". Interesting to know that it was the name of a proprietary product.

BrettyD and ognirats like this.
  14. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

:shake: :shake: :shake:

supermd and OldSoul like this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

As far as I know, people just call it "NR" or "Grain Reduction," sometimes "Noise Reduction." But there's Temporal Noise Reduction, Spatial Noise Reduction, all kinds of stuff... as I said, it's not just one process. And we can turn it off or turn it down, so it really amounts to grain management: keeping the grain level constant throughout the whole show.

There were a few other investors in Weta Digital, so Peter didn't get all the money... but he got most of it. And I think he already had north of $500M+ prior to the sale of Weta. Jackson is 60 now, so I think he deserves to take a rest and enjoy his money.

16. Fab Four Revolution

Yeah I'm aware, but I did see a number of reports recently claiming he was now likely a billionaire.

Either way, baby he's a rich man ;)

17. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

No drama here. The restoration of T2 speak for itself. It's DNR video land.
    As for Jackson, he has been ruining his old films forever on Home-Video.
    I don't discuss here their cinematic value, just the low quality of their remastering.
    DNR, green tints, teal color timing... We are basically looking at the Loudness war equivalent for Home-Cinema.
    These aren't demo material, they are usual branded as fail by the community. And with reason.

Plan9, supermd, OldSoul and 3 others like this.
  18. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Now we know why it gently weeps.

rnranimal, ognirats and OldSoul like this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I think if Jackson had $500M before, he has a billion now.

I honestly don't know the reason for the change in color timing. If anything, when we redo older films for HD and 4K, we actually make an attempt to match the previous SD color. I might punch up the brightness a little bit, but we're talking 5%-10%, not that much. If there's an obvious mistake (like shots that don't match), we fix that. But huge sweeping creative changes... that's generally a director decision. I'm more a fan of blue blues than cyan/teal blues, but that's me.

OldSoul likes this.
  20. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Be careful what you wish for....

;)

jdicarlo, Gloi, CapitalQ and 3 others like this.
  21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No one in their right mind would wish for that! o_O

Gloi and paulisdead like this.
  22. ognirats

[​IMG]
    They might have toned down the aspect ratio.

23. Fab Four Revolution

Yeah, for the rooftop performance. Likely because they're going to be split-screening it at times.

ognirats likes this.
  24. I dislike digital NR just as much as the majority of the people on this forum, but to have the rare chance to see and hear six hours of something amazingly interesting and historical, at least with decent color and audio instead of B&W or color faded bootleg videos with crappy sound copied from one obsolete format to another over and over again, then converted to digital using the limited resolution from the old DVD format, then posted on some internet forum converted once again with some lossy codec and, sometimes, homemade restorations trying to polish these turds, what some people really want?

It's terrific to simply have it, NR-d or not, just like we cherish the lo-fi Cavern rehearsals, the no-fi (hey, mom, I've invented a word!) Hamburg shows, etc.
    The fact that we, outsiders, are having this opportunity is something to be overjoyed instead of losing sleep over the quality of the restoration process.
    A couple of years ago we only had the official movie, either in very old official formats, or bootlegged in various degrees of quality and minor bits and pieces of crappy video outtakes, not counting the audio from the Nagras, that are nice mono, ok, but mostly without visuals and full of sync beeps.

Just my opinion, as always.

25. ognirats

I agree but it's 2021. It could have been better.

Plan9, OldSoul, CapitalQ and 3 others like this.