Black Friday Record Store Day 2021 - 26 November

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Sep 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Toad Hall Books and Records

2. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

It was on the list since day one. I know this because it's one of only two releases I want this time

marcb likes this.
  3. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

No Chris Isaak yet. I even emailed the RSD people and they didn’t respond about quantities (thanks a lot RSD team). I’m having my doubts about Beyond the Sun 10th anniversary.
    I always appreciate record stores posting these videos. I don’t know why but seeing some of these records always increases my interest im some titles.

WhatDoIKnow and Sean like this.
  4. Graham

Graham Senior Member

FFS why has Little Feat’s Electric Lycanthrope been removed from the U.K. list?

5. mafurman

mafurman Forum Resident

I got a chance to listen to a couple of the releases that interested me - so I wanted to give you all a quick review.

There wasn't a ton of stuff that I felt I had to have this RSD, but I managed to get my hands on two top picks - the Little Feat and The Wrens.

Little Feat - I gotta be honest. I saw that this was a live Little Feat set from the Lowell George era and that was enough for me to want to the set - but I didn't know much else. I guess I was just expecting another version of Waiting for Colombus or something, but this is something quite different. Live in the studio with a very small audience. It is cut by Kevin Grey from multitrack tapes. Not sure if they added a digital step...I think that is likely. But either way the performance is really hot and heavy and the sound is excellent. Nice gatefold with a good essay on the inside of the cover. I think it is pressed in Germany with just a bit of noise on side D for me. Really well done and highly recommended!

The Wrens - Craft has been slowly putting out their catalog on vinyl. While I like their earlier stuff, this album, Secaucus, is where I really start to love their work. I did not crank up the volume as my wife kept asking me to turn down last night, but this one was sounding better than expected. I noticed some bumps and things on the record, but they did not seem to affect the sound. I look forward to another spin with some serious volume. So many catchy bits of melody tangled with noise and interesting sounds on this one. One aside, the vinyl was advertised as clear cherry red or something, but it is opaque. I really can't wait for their next release, The Meadowlands, as that is hard to get on vinyl since it was only released in Germany.

6. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

My local did post Chris Isaak Beyond the Sun 10th copies so I finally have confirmation that it will be available. They only have 4 copies at the moment. They could get more but I think this confirms what I've thought all along that this will be a very limited release. It would've been nice if the RSD org shared a quantity pressed. I guess they've flushed me out for an early lineup. Well played RSD team... well played.

My local store has A LOT of the Hendrix, Life Aquatic, and Saigon Kick but the other ones on my list seem limited:
    Carole King - 14 copies
    Big Brother - 8 copies
    Motorhead - 8 copies

No Hall and Oates yet.

Sean likes this.
  7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Curious about the Hendrix vinyl…is this more complete than the Dagger cd?

8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Someone tell this guy it’s “dirge”, not “didgeridoo”. Is he being flippant and using malapropisms or is he really saying it wrong? :laugh:

Sean likes this.
  9. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Yea, I think someone corrected him in the comments section. I noticed that, too. lol

pool_of_tears likes this.
  10. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Second video from Toad Hall Books and Records

11. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Oscar Peterson - Live In Helsinki, 1987 - Unboxing Record Store Day 2021

Greenalishi and uzn007 like this.
  12. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Lana Del Rey - Chemtrails Over The Country Club - Unboxing Record Store Day 2021

Greenalishi likes this.
  13. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

There has been no local hype from the local shops. Kind of surprised because by now they would be posting teasers.

Sean likes this.
  14. Sean

Sean Senior Member

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou Soundtrack Vinyl Unboxing. 2LP

15. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Miles Davis - Live-Evil - Unboxing Record Store Day

khanrahan likes this.
  16. Sean

Sean Senior Member

AFK Books and Records

Chris Bernhardt and JRose like this.
  17. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

You'd think a record store owner would know how to remove a record from an inner. No rispekk. Unbelievable!

18. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

This is what I like about RSD. It spotlights albums that I didn't even know existed. For this RSD BF, I've streamed several records and the one that really jumps out to me is the Barry McGuire "Eve of Destruction". I've never heard of this but I'm loving it in just the first listen. It's phenomenal! I don't know that I will buy a copy from RSD because originals are not expensive but who knows. I could see myself caving before I checkout Friday morning. Anyway, you should check this album out if you like Dylan. It is great.

uzn007 and Sean like this.
  19. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

I was hoping Mike would reveal the pressing SQ like he's done in the past. I would like a vinyl pressing of several LDR records but I can't get myself to do it based on pressing quality. I'm hoping this Chemtrails record is pressed be a reputable plant like RTI or Pallas. I would pick one up if that's the case but I will wait for reviews first. I can find a copy later with 15k pressed.

Sean likes this.
  20. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Billie Eilish - No Time To Die - Unboxing Record Store Day

Greenalishi likes this.
  21. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

I don't get how RSD can publish the list w/o the quantities for certain items? The Life Aquatic 2xLP is the main item I'm after and there's no quantities on the list nor does the label list quantities.

Sean and JRose like this.
  22. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

It's an 'RSD First' Release which means it will still be available in stores after RSD.

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

They're hard to come by, and even more so in VG Plus or better condition.

Sean, uzn007, JRose and 1 other person like this.
  24. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Eve of Destruction is one of the best songs ever written.

I remember as a kid growing up it always thrown on the oldies comps that my dad would play in the Chevy Van!

Sean and JRose like this.
  25. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

Chris Isaak is a RSD exclusive and also is without a quantity. I even emailed the RSD people about it and received no answer. It’s very frustrating to me because I want a copy. The quantity helps me to plan accordingly. Buyers need to know for the Life Aquatic too even though it is a RSD first. Sometimes it takes years before a repress so the initial quantity is still relevant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.