Grateful Dead on Vinyl: Comparing Pressings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wingtip, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Probably in part because it was an on the fly two track mix, unlike the Fillmore shows that were mixed later from multi-tracks.

uzn007, ODShowtime and latheofheaven like this.
  2. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

I also have the 1984 mars hotel MSFL. I think it sounds terrific but can’t compare it to an original or the recent version. Also have the recent Skull & Roses MSFL. Really sounds fantastic especially as you crank it up. Also a heads up to the recent light to ashes, monster Phil. And the 2 Fillmore LP shows I own are must haves. Sound better than my CD copies from the CD box. And the recent Dick’s picks 36 was a bit pricey but perhaps my favorite Dead LP I own. I don’t mine the constant flipping on that epic show. Gives me a chance to catch my breath.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  3. malfano

malfano Forum Resident

Thanks for the reminder. Listening to 2/28/69 on vinyl right now. What an incredible sounding show. I’m loving it.

latheofheaven likes this.
  4. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Rhino is dropping 3/1/69 vinyl box set in January.

5. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

nice. rsd? anywhere to pre-order?

6. mafurman

mafurman Forum Resident

The Garcia Grisman sessions on MOFI 45rpm are about as great as I can imagine acoustic music sounding on vinyl. The Garcia Grisman still shows as awaiting repress and I implore anyone who doesn't have it to place an order - It is just exceptional! I find the sound to be more 3D on Garcia Grisman, but Shady Grove is something else for me. It makes me feel as close to being with Jerry Garcia as any recording I have ever heard. It just captures that amazing feeling of being there in the studio while these guys lay down these gorgeous pieces of Americana.

Pizza Tapes on Mofi would be amazing. Is the source used for the cd the original or somewhere down the chain?

7. oldjollymon

oldjollymon right channel den/left channel kitchen

ODShowtime likes this.
  8. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I'm patiently waiting for 3.2.69... I actually think that one interests me the most if I'm to get one on vinyl...

9. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

And the reel to reel sounds even better.

10. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

11. cdb3

cdb3 Forum Resident

My local shop in England said a couple of weeks ago that it had been pulled from the UK Black Friday listings and then someone on here in the Black Friday thread said that it had been pulled from the US release list too. In that thread it was claimed that a number of releases had been pulled as a result of supply problems - or alternatively one might think it's because big record companies had bought up vinyl production capacity for Adele and Elton John releases.

Experiencereunited likes this.
  12. oldjollymon

oldjollymon right channel den/left channel kitchen

I found that listing bc of a post in the Rhino “Start Your Ear Off” thread, which linked to a twitter post by someone at Bullmoose. The BM employee was guessing the titles they got listings for were for the SYEOR campaign.

Edit: here’s the link: https://twitter.com/BullMooseVinyl/status/1461711323805495299?t=drWSEMKONkPZk9rpwr4d0A&s=19

ODShowtime and uzn007 like this.
  13. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

I'm listening to this show now on YouTube. I've never heard it and it is not in my massive collection of downloads that I acquired while under the complete Diabolical Hallucinogenic influences of the likes of @Archtop , @uzn007 , @Panama Hotel , @dsdu , @US Blues , @ianuaditis , and especially @notesofachord

So far, it's sounding pretty good as far as playing goes, but not being familiar with this performance, may I please humbly ask if some of you guys could kindly set your Doobies down for a moment, and please give me some insight as to how THIS particular performance measures against the two Iconic vinyl box sets for 2/27 & 2/28. I really, REALLY had decided (numerous times) that I had already bought quite enough GD box sets! Now, remember, I am not the permanent resident of the elevated Transcendental Haze that you fellows occupy. I DON'T HAVE to have bloody everything by them. But, I do like their early Psychedelic stuff IF it is an outstanding performance and HOPEFULLY if the sound quality is worth it. Otherwise, I honestly have PLENTY of theirs! :) So, I need some opinions and guidance here please. I KNOW you guys love all of their stuff no matter what, but using the 2/27 & 2/28 shows, as an understandably very high standard, please let me know your thoughts (if you can find them...) how this night compares and IF you have any insight if you think the sound quality would anywhere near possibly match the other two vinyl shows. Otherwise, I really don't want to rush out and buy it on vinyl.

Thanks kindly for any input or (scattered) thoughts! :tiphat:

***EDIT

Oh, and if anyone knows how 'Limited' this edition might be. Some they only print so many and the prices soar to the stratosphere (where you guys are) and other apparently they make a ton and still can be bought years later at a 'reasonable' price. Thanks!

oldjollymon likes this.
  14. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I won't pretend that I've sat down and done a detailed comparison between this and the previous two nights. That said, this is a long-time favorite with one of the best versions of "That's It For the Other One" that they ever played. The second-set sequence stands up well to the versions used for Live/Dead. Overall, with this being only 3 discs, I'd consider somewhat of a no-brainer, but I also consider all four shows to be fairly essential, so I might not be the best person to ask. You can obviously check the show out on the Archive to see what you think of it.

latheofheaven and oldjollymon like this.
  15. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

If you own 2/27 and 2/2, get 3/1 and you'll be fine...............until 3/2 is released.

lucan_g and latheofheaven like this.
  16. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Sorry; I can't offer any insight here other than you'd probably be pleased if you got it.

lucan_g and latheofheaven like this.
  17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

It's a great show. The whole run is extremely strong. They were all recorded multi-track and this likely will be a Plangent Processed high-definition digital recording, with sound quality similar to the 2/27 and 2/28 vinyl releases.

18. latheofheaven

Good to know, thank you! :)

19. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

Shout out to Europe 72 volume 2 on vinyl. Just got through all 8 sides. Holy S**t. Really a fantastic comp. And no repeats from the original E 72 set. My only issue at the time a few years back was deciding wether to buy this or the Veneta LP release. Was holding both in my hand. And they were both $60. Already owned the Veneta CD so went with the E 72. Of course the Veneta vinyl is now impossible to afford.

ODShowtime likes this.
  20. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Any reports on how the Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 12/10/71 set sounds?

21. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

It sounds very good. The '72 and '73 shows sound slightly better but nothing in the box set doesn't sound very good or better. These are all from 2 track recordings so there was a limit to what they could do in the studio when mastering them.

These comments refer to the hires digital but the comments on the vinyl are the same since they are produced from the same mastering.

latheofheaven, riverrat and uzn007 like this.
  22. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I've seen some comments that indicate that some people got noisy pressings of Sunshine Daydream, so you probably did alright, especially if you have it on CD already.

As far as E72 v2 is concerned, I like having that whole Dark Star>Other One jam on one CD, but I'd probably pick it up on vinyl anyway if I saw a reasonably-priced copy.

23. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

Once I started collecting shows on cassette I stopped listening to the original E72 since it isn’t fully live with all the studio overdubs, etc.

I did buy E72 v2 but rarely listen to it since I bought the CD trunk when it was issued.

MikeT likes this.
  24. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Thanks for the reply.

I like the Dead but not being a rabid fan, starting to wonder how many live shows I need to have on vinyl. I rationalized some past purchases by telling myself they'll never go down in value. But with each live vinyl release, they seem to boost the number pressed, which is fine but may eventually saturate the market. Sounds like a "limited" run of 12,000 this time..

How badly do I need St Louis '71? Is this one of those "iconic" live shows?

I have:
    • EU '72, original & Vol. 2
    • Shrine Exposition Hall
    • Dick's Picks 5
    • Portland Colosseum
    • Veneta Sunshine Daydream
    • Fillmore West 1969, Feb 27 & 28
    • Cornell 5-8-77
    • 1, 2, 3 From the Vault
    • Without a Net
    • Reckoning
    • S/T aka Skull & Roses

malfano and latheofheaven like this.
  25. latheofheaven

Heh... you and me Brother :)

What I love, I truly love of the GD. But, just my taste, I really don't have to have everything. The early Psychedelic stuff and some live shows up to about 1971 I like, and then for the most part I jump to the Terrapin Station era forward. Just for me personally, all the 'Country - Bar Band' stuff really isn't my thing. But man, when they are good live, they are indeed very good! (as we all know) Now, interestingly, I DID end up shagging the most excellent 6-LP Long Strange Trip! For some reason, whomever put that together happened to choose a larger number of songs that I really like, even from the period where I normally don't care for most of their stuff. I was quite surprised at the song selection, and it filled in nicely some excellent renderings of Classics like 'Scarlet Begonias / Fire in the Mountain' that I didn't have on vinyl, amongst I must admit some rather good renderings of some songs that I normally would skip over. If that collection just had a killer live Jam of Estimated Prophet, I would consider it a bloody PERFECT set! :D I'm extremely thankful that I shagged it from our dear @Spitfire at a great price before it ascended to the unreachable rings of Uranus! (well, not yours specifically thank Goodness...) But, alas... I will probably be ensnared at some future point when some excellent version of that jam is released on vinyl. THAT would likely though honestly be my last one (so I say now... :rolleyes:)

[​IMG]

Your taste is far wider where they are concerned, so I would guess if you can sample the sound of this album ahead of time, if you like the content and you want to add another live album to your collection, then there you go :D

For example (if anyone actually wants one o_O) my asking about the new 1969 release from 3/1. I figured that many of the TRUE avid fans here would say it was just as good as the Iconic 2/27 & 2/28 shows that, YES, I totally revere! However, since the full album is posted online, for my particular taste although the show is in NO way 'not good', it is I feel fully competent and solid. BUT... I just don't find Jerry's playing or tone that inspiring or to me anyway anywhere near the stratospheric levels of the other two shows. Personally, I'm guessing that by that 3rd show in a row, maybe they were understandably getting a little tired, no blame there. But I just found the 'jams' rather plain and 'rote' to a degree. Again, NOT bad at all, just not 'Have To Have!' like the others.

But, hey, to the many TRUE fans here who love all their stuff, I'm sure it's a great set!

riverrat likes this.