New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. I’d argue 3 & 4 were both pretty good. The first two seasons demonstrated what B & B were afraid of; the creative team was exhausted and they needed a break to regroup. Manny Coto brought a fresh perspective.

the first two seasons were largely dreadful. Voyager had begun to run out of gas after season three but rallied periodically.

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Or people hate Discovery so much they're going back to Enterprise and saying "y'know, this wasn't really that bad" :laugh:

Dillydipper likes this.
  3. Hookian

Hookian Forever 80s

The issue with Discovery is the same issue that Enterprise had at the time - it just isn't classic Trek. TNG, DS9 and Voyager all maintained such similarities that they were recognizable as the Trek that people loved and even grew up on with TOS. Enterprise as a stand alone series isn't bad at all. At the time, I hated how different it was from what I wanted out of Trek. Watching years later, it was a good show on its own merits. Trekish or not though, the finale was terrible.

The main problem I have with Discovery now is that it is basically rehashes the modern template for edgy sci-fi dramas, checking a series of boxes that all shows of its ilk have done for the last decade of television - in a way, the same kind of issue people had with Voygager - too much like prior Trek with no deviation - except while Discovery is vastly different from prior Trek, it is no different from 100 other similar shows from the last 10 years.

4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

The characters were still holding them back in the 4th season, although the new showrunners did what they could with them and things got better. I still just wanted to see more of T'Pol and Phlox, though.

5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

With streaming though I'm not sure it matters. If a series flops they just stop producing it and churn out another one. I don't know if it hurts the others provided they maintain a fanbase.

Bink likes this.
  6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

It didn't even have to be. Just use the friggin' Enterprise-E movie set, make it Riker exploring the Enterprise scenario without tying it to an existing story that didn't have any room in the story for the ship's first officer to go play on the holodeck for hours while the rest of the crew is trying to evade Romulans.

Or, y'know, maybe just don't use the 24th century at all and give it a proper finale. Like the previous two-parter.

7. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Re Enterprise and Voyager.

Enterprise had good and great characters, very good actors, and a budget that kept the show looking good. The most Next Gen of all the Trek series. My second fave after Next Gen itself. And so few people have seen the series. The last episode was fine - the bookend of some of the events being watched in the future was harmless albeit unnecessary.

I am rewatching Voyager now, or rather finally watching the later seasons. It is terribly low-budget (and looks it!), and the characters have no depth (aside from Seven and the Doctor), and the Doctor is overused - perhaps because he was played by one of the better actors who could be depended on to turn dialogue into an interesting performance even if he's just standing in a room. Watching the show again with an adult's knowledge of contracts, it was amusing to see that at the end of season 5 (when every actor's contract would have been up for renegotiation for season 6) Voyager encounters another Federation starship from which the series could have taken on several new characters. It reads now as an obvious step to prevent any of the existing cast from asking for a raise.

8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Oddly enough though, Robert Beltran tried to get fired from Voyager by asking for an outrageous raise...and he got it!

David Campbell and will_b_free like this.
  9. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I just watched the first episode of season 4. Why couldn't they beam the people off the space station again?

10. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Still not ideal. Pluto is basically commercial television, not much different than over the air.

But hey, it's free, and you don't need a subscription. It's just like Star Trek used to be :laugh: that's what many of the detractors wanted, right?

sunspot42, MikeInFla and Bink like this.
  12. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Note to anyone acquiring this via "alternative means" if it is not streaming in your country - Paramount is issuing takedown notices.

Curveboy likes this.
  13. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

Wow, wanted to talk about the latest episodes, but everyone must be in a pattern buffer.

Linger63 likes this.
  14. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

The 4th season is turning out to be the best (so far), they seemed to have found their mojo.

15. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

I have to agree. I almost gave up on it in early in season 1, but glad I kept going. However, the last episode had me scratching my head. Without giving anything away, it didn’t have to be either or.

16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

That was my thought. Burnham missed her moment, as the rogue scientist might put it. I guess not all Starfleet captains can be Kirk, taking that third option all the time.

Preview for the next half of the season looks amazing.

17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I've been glad so many times I can't count, that other Starfleet captains cannot be Kirk. That was a character that was only going to resonate with 1960's audiences, and they almost lost him from that first movie.

Once you've done "cocky"...the next step is to do something else. The real world's already had their fill of "cocky". A series focused on the future, can't keep going back to a captain from the 1960s, no matter how many stodgy fans keep braying.

18. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

agreed. The nice thing about Michael is the tempering of her cockiness and impulsiveness.

My gripe is, why couldn’t they simply say “We’ll go to the coordinates to try to talk, you go to the anomaly and get ready to blow it up if contact doesn’t work.”

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Because story-wise, that puts her in the position of being somebody's subordinate in the recipe, and the last resort for destruction and not hope. Even if they maneuver her into that scenario, the story won't turn her into "Captain-blowed-'em-up-real-good". That's not her brand. She's more likely to come up with a Third Option.

20. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Other than being a bit sappy at times, I am enjoying the season. BUT those costumes (IMHO) need to go. Imagine having to do real work in them.

21. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I think a lot of old-school Trek fans sort of expect that third option to come right away, and then the episode is in the doing of that. But that's not how serialized TV works. I myself was thinking "but why don't..." instead of letting something I enjoy take me for a ride, and that's my bad.

If they were just jackets like the TOS "Monster Maroon" film costumes, no asymmetry at the bottom, they'd be as cool as they deserve to be. Maybe. The colors are great and striking though.

robertawillisjr and Dillydipper like this.
  22. I’m not sure I like the running, jumping and shooting Star Treks. I’m still watching Discovery, but I find it a bit of a slog.

robertawillisjr likes this.
  23. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Well, I was a little disappointed with Discovery going on hiatus after the recent string of strong episodes, but after seeing the latest episode of Prodigy, I feel much better. What a fantastic episode. Please go watch it if you haven't already, and while you are at it, check out the first half of season one too, it's turning out to be great!

24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Still making my way though Lower Decks before moving on to Prodigy, but it's on the list!

Shawn likes this.
  25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Just came back to this thread to highlight this post from March 2017.

sunspot42 likes this.